Fuel theft [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Fuel theft

redted
26-06-08, 07:54
Now that it costs 100+ to fill a T4 from empty, I'm starting to look into protecting my van from fuel theft after recent reports of increases in this crime. How vulnerable is a T4 to this and has anyone else done anything about it yet?

NB. PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL WITH YOUR ANSWERS, WE DON'T WANT TO BE GIVING TIPS TO THE WRONG TYPES OF PEOPLE! YOU CAN PM ME IF YOU'D RATHER.
Thanks
Ed

e30mark
26-06-08, 08:38
Unless your planning on armour plating the underside of your tank then it's always going to be vulnerable.

BANANAVAN
26-06-08, 08:47
Unless your planning on armour plating the underside of your tank then it's always going to be vulnerable.

unless you do the above there is little you can do

Lower the van so they cannot get a can under it!

I never have more than about 10l in my tank anyhow! alway running with the light on! cannot afford to fill the bl0ddy thing up! :eek:

TBH plating the underside of the tank would not be that difficult Looking at it. H:

Rustybus
26-06-08, 08:51
Same as! Only 10 ltrs for start up only I: I'd like to see them try to syphon off the gas :D

Perhaps we could get some signs made up

NO fuel kept in this vehicle overnight :D

nealglover
26-06-08, 09:33
I think places like farms with large outdoor storage tanks are more likely to be hit.
Or wagons parked up with easy access 1000+ litre tanks.

I think on the whole they wouldn't bother with normal vehicles like cars and vans.

Bobster69
26-06-08, 11:09
I don't think you can syphon fron a T4 - When I thought my mate had put diesel in my old petrol one I couldn't get anything into the tank and there was no drain plug underneath either.

H:

elvis
26-06-08, 11:18
no cus the f*****ts normally hammer a screwdriver through your tank leaving an expensive bill,either that or cut the rubber pipe.including brake pipes till they get the right one.:c

Bobster69
26-06-08, 11:34
Now that you mention it - I wouldn't expect anyone that would do it in the 1st place to go about it in a non destructive manor with regards to other peoples property.

:c

I suppose it is true the way it's going that fuel theft is going to be on the up. Me and my missus are having to work 3 jobs and extra hours when we can to try and just make ends meet.

:(

Luckily "touch wood" the crime rate here is quite low.

A:

colese
26-06-08, 13:33
had every tank of 8 lorrys drained the last few nights,just what you need in this climate of no one spending money.thieving pikey bas#tards.:(

mcjjordan
26-06-08, 14:08
when i scrapped my donor t4 i just drilled a hole in the tank as its plastic was well easy when i finished i just put a self tapper in to stop any last drips coming out when i eventually got it dragged away

kit
26-06-08, 18:11
Round my way its little kids drilling petrol tanks so they can fill u their cars and mini motos. Some farms have had their storage tanks done by bigger :c dont know of private vans being done but there is always a first i guess :(

Soulstyledevon
27-06-08, 13:43
Take a look at one of those proximity alarms. Senses when some one is to close to the car and warns them away. If they dont move quick enough, goes into alarm. Not fool proof i know, but may move them on to a easier target.

supachip
27-06-08, 16:27
I heard on the radio the other day theres a new target . Fuel then roofs/lead . Now its allotments people are nicking veg from the growers:eek: Whats next.

TDI Dave
27-06-08, 16:51
You can buy dye to dye the derv ,if the theives are caught "IF" they can prove its your derv so result good if youve got a fleet

some unscruplious people dye red derv with it aswell I: turns it all bright blue

dieseldye on fleabay sell the stuff