6x9 speaker recommendations? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

6x9 speaker recommendations?

T4 Tom
29-06-08, 22:25
I'm getting frustrated by the lack of power my little kenwood front speakers have (fitted by previous owner)

They produce an amazing sound fo such little speakers, but when the engine noise increases there is only so far I can go before distortion occurs.

So being on a budget I thought as I'm fitting my ply panels next week then carpeting them, I might as well cut the speaker holes and get the wiring hidden.

So does anyone have some recommendation for some good, clear and bassy 6x9s?

My head unit says 4X50W on the front and I can't afford an amp for now.

I have about 40 - 50 to spend, ideally cheaper lol

Cheers,

Tom

slammedviper
29-06-08, 22:37
Dude, I have a set of alpine 4" in the dash, fit like a dream, plus 2 infinity 6x9's in the rear in speaker boxes... Infinity don't make the most powerful speakers in the world (compared to fli and that lot) but they do produce some of the clearest speakers on the market.. Really, really good sound quality... I don't run any of the speakers through an amp, as i too am on a budget!! Quality is still the same and still loud enough... Pm me and I'll drop you the ebay shop that I got the speakers from.. Haven't checked them in a while so don't know if they still stock infinity, but they are dirt cheap and delivery is very good... Best bet is to buy the old stock, the new range is expensive and will of course drop like a stone when the next range comes out..

Jono :ILU:

T4 Tom
29-06-08, 22:50
PM me the ebay shop would be good.

I went to halfords the other day just to listen, not to buy (way too pricey)

and out of them all the Vibe ones sounded best even though they weren't the most expensive

I've heard infinity recommended before though on here so maybe they are the ones to go for...... I won't have them in boxes, just in the side panels (maybe with a spacer if the panels are too shallow)

Cheers

Roadcaptain
29-06-08, 23:38
I had some sony xplod 6x9 in my bay, they were v good got them of ebayT:

Roadcaptain
30-06-08, 00:00
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLI-FI9-6x9-Speakers-375W-Peak-Designed-by-VIBE_W0QQitemZ230265984324QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 230265984324&_trkparms=72%3A3270%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Stereo Steve
30-06-08, 07:03
go vibe you will not regret it A:
also p.m sent to you tom
regards steveT:

cloudnine
30-06-08, 07:16
I put a pair of infinity 6x9s in the rear door... really happy with them :cool:

waxer
30-06-08, 14:12
I'd second the infinity 6x9's. Great speakers for the money.

surfmatt
30-06-08, 19:31
i got the infinity's boxed in the back and pioneer in the front and its quality!

syncro R
30-06-08, 19:34
bought a set of 6x9's from maplins 12.
they sound amazing for the money, not sure if they
are jbl's in disguise...

team french
30-06-08, 22:00
bought a set of 6x9's from maplins 12.
they sound amazing for the money, not sure if they
are jbl's in disguise...

you sure 12???? i got some and they were 25, do sound good for the price thoT:

GandT
30-06-08, 22:13
About 6 year ago from Maplin i got a set of deep 12" bass bins for 29.99 each and they were 1200watt Kickers in disguise, and a mate ov mine got a lovely set of blagg Bose units for a tenth of the real price, funny old shop Maplins, but cool for us with a keen eye, ide check them out before any where!!!

nasty nick
30-06-08, 22:32
i bought a pair of jbl's, more than happy with them, no need for a sub or amp, mines 4x50w!
the jbl's are not on offer now, but had a look at the same site and these look very close ,and the same price i paid, they were 60 in halfords !
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/kicker-es693-p-6648.html:ILU:
i also upgraded my fronts from amazon for under 20,
the difference in sound for around 50 is unbelievable!!!

Antz
30-06-08, 22:43
I'll second that, got some JBL's in the back of the car, sound awesome, T: But I am running them through a 600w JBL amp.

syncro R
01-07-08, 21:56
team french, yes they were 12 less than a year ago.
just checked the maplin site, doubled in price.
didn't realise credit crunch was effecting 6x9s so badly

team french
01-07-08, 22:12
team french, yes they were 12 less than a year ago.
just checked the maplin site, doubled in price.
didn't realise credit crunch was effecting 6x9s so badly

must be the colapse of the american market for sub prime 6x9'sLOL:, i got mine abouts 3months ago. still good value for money id say, im not botherd about what names on the grill, especialy as they keep droping of as i didnt stick em inLOL:

colese
02-07-08, 04:09
a set of infinity kappa mate,top end of your budget but sound awesome,look to the future,might want to install a amp later,then you will really get some sound from them.:ILU:

T4 Tom
02-07-08, 08:38
ok so majority say Infinity, followed by Vibe, followed by JBL

I had some JBL's before which were ok but not that amazing.... I went to Halfrauds and had a listen to their range and the Vibes sounded best out of what they had.... but majority says infinity soooooo I'm gonna have to go find some infinities to listen too... shouldn't be too hard I'll just pop down the Lidl's car park at about 7pm and approach some barry boys LOL:

It's between infinity and vibe i reckon, gonna see if I can pick some up locally (not Halfords though) so that I can have a listen to them first and when I blow them up take them back I:

justina3
02-07-08, 09:11
i wouldnt take much notice of what they sound like in halfrauds as there in a display stand made to sound good, when you fit the same speakers in a van they often sound totally different, one thing that hasnt been mentioned is make sure you match powers up correctly no point in going for a 500watt speaker if you only have 50watts of power as after the 50watts from the unit is up it will just push distortion.

last but not least is cable and fixing make sure you have decent cable on there to allow the proper flow of power from the unit to the speakers and then lastly mountin the items if there not mounted corretly sealed correctly they they will sound pants even if they cost 150 the tailgate is the best position from 6x9 i have found and i have tried every position possible ! that sounds so wrong,

JIMMYJAMES
04-03-09, 01:52
Amplifiers give the infinity speakers a whole new lease of life, well worth getting one. My 4" Infinity Kappa front comps sounded hugely better amped and with far less distortion than running on the head unit.

colese
04-03-09, 07:49
Dude, I have a set of alpine 4" in the dash, fit like a dream, plus 2 infinity 6x9's in the rear in speaker boxes... Infinity don't make the most powerful speakers in the world (compared to fli and that lot) but they do produce some of the clearest speakers on the market.. Really, really good sound quality... I don't run any of the speakers through an amp, as i too am on a budget!! Quality is still the same and still loud enough... Pm me and I'll drop you the ebay shop that I got the speakers from.. Haven't checked them in a while so don't know if they still stock infinity, but they are dirt cheap and delivery is very good... Best bet is to buy the old stock, the new range is expensive and will of course drop like a stone when the next range comes out..

Jono :ILU:

agree there mate,you cant beat alpine and infinity,like you said buy old stock,much cheaper.............

I run infinitys in the rear off of a big V12 and the sound is :D

tomcat-50
04-03-09, 09:12
Any difference between Infinity Reference and Kappa? Got Referance spec ones in the dash should I stick to the same modle for the 6X9s

colese
04-03-09, 14:53
kappa dearer mate.

marco
04-03-09, 18:10
Halfords normally have the Infinity ref. 6x9's on a 1/2 price deal at 50. I used Jbl's and they're not bad. I got focals 6 1/2" in the front now but need to look at remounting them as they should sound better, any tips??( my volvo sounds better with stock speakers and no amp, really good thumping bass off 5 1/4" speakers!!!)

JIMMYJAMES
04-03-09, 21:38
Just ordered some Kappa 6x9 speakers to compliment the Kappa's in the front and ordered the mdf boxes for them. Cant wait to get them in there and well glad they have the seperate crossovers like my fronts. Should sound awesome on my Kenwood amp, just need a big mono amp or bridgable 2 channel to complete the setup now, cant wait!

JIMMYJAMES
04-03-09, 21:45
Halfords normally have the Infinity ref. 6x9's on a 1/2 price deal at 50. I used Jbl's and they're not bad. I got focals 6 1/2" in the front now but need to look at remounting them as they should sound better, any tips??( my volvo sounds better with stock speakers and no amp, really good thumping bass off 5 1/4" speakers!!!)

Bigger air space mate possibly wrong polarity on installation are both causes of poor sound. Check the polarity on the speakers and stick a 10" sub and amp the lot, makes all the difference. My 10" Infinity Reference is superb and matches perfectly with all the other infinity gear i use. Its more hi fi and not at all chav thump T:

marco
05-03-09, 06:47
Bigger air space mate possibly wrong polarity on installation are both causes of poor sound. Check the polarity on the speakers and stick a 10" sub and amp the lot, makes all the difference. My 10" Infinity Reference is superb and matches perfectly with all the other infinity gear i use. Its more hi fi and not at all chav thump T:
Thanks Jimmy, must be the airspace as the polarity is ok, the speakers are in velle pods which aren't that generous, some head scratching and fettling is in order I think.
Also used a vibe 10" active sub for a bit but got fed up with having to remove it from the boot.