Body Shop Experts [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Body Shop Experts

Mozzer
06-07-08, 20:41
Evening all
well if you read my last thread "ooops" you will know aout my 3 year old sons adventure with som 80 grit sand paper and my bonnet

Well after closer inspection the scratches dont go all the way throught to the primer and i was wondering if it would be possible to flat out the scratches with some 1200 then 1500 then 200 grit w/d paper then mop it......

Is that possable???????

funkyg60
06-07-08, 20:47
yeah that should be fine,just go carefull with the 1200
funk

Balloo
06-07-08, 20:51
I remember when doing the paint on my beetle the guy put a bar of soap in a bucket of water overnight and then used the soapy water with really fine wet and dry. when it dried it looked awful but a couple of hours with the mop it looked wicked.

I,m sure someone in the trade will be along soon to put us right!

PredacomDom
06-07-08, 21:02
Sorry but I'm outside the loop on this one.

I get that all of the numbers above are grades of sandpaper (right? :confused:)

But wtf is 'the mop'?

funkyg60
06-07-08, 21:08
electric polisher, like a 9 inch grinder but with a foam pad

t4mark
06-07-08, 21:09
Evening all
well if you read my last thread "ooops" you will know aout my 3 year old sons adventure with som 80 grit sand paper and my bonnet

Well after closer inspection the scratches dont go all the way throught to the primer and i was wondering if it would be possible to flat out the scratches with some 1200 then 1500 then 200 grit w/d paper then mop it......

Is that possable???????

it is possible i presume you mean 2000 not 200 grit:D can you see primer ? or is it the laquer thats scratched without seein it its hard to say but when i get bikes and cars in with that sort of damage i do a local on it IE .. build the laquer up, flat and polish .if you can getta way with flattin and a polish i would use 1500/2000 then use a extra fine compound to polish it , hope this helps but be careful !!!

if you where closer i could have helped ya sorry dude up on the east coast

HARRYSPADGE
06-07-08, 21:11
Evening all

Is that possable???????

It's possible but what you have to be careful of is the fact that you are gonna be removing layers of paint by flatting back with the wet'n'dry, and then your gonna have to mop it to bring back the shine.
Mopping also removes a small amount of paint, so you risk flatting and polishing through to the primer.
But hey, your bonnet's already pretty F****D so what do you have to loose.
Either way you could end up needing to get it painted so just go for it, you may be lucky T:

Peter R
06-07-08, 21:15
simple test is if you can feel the scratches with your finger nail then they wont polish out ,
doing the above sugestion with various grades of wet and dry will just remove the laquer, and probably the paint

jayb
06-07-08, 21:29
Don`t bother with the 1200,use the 1500 then polish, you`ll have less chance of flatting through then. Just take your time and you may get lucky!! :)

BattleBus
07-07-08, 09:35
Use a flat block too. If you just flat with your fingers you will see it when you polish. Get it really flat and take your time but chances are its through :-( Is it base and clear metalic or a straight solid colour?

Mozzer
08-07-08, 20:08
Thanks for your replys its a solid colour no laquar and the scratches i cant feel when i run a nail over it so will give it a crak with 1500 grit and let you know how i get on!I:

t4mark
08-07-08, 22:46
Thanks for your replys its a solid colour no laquar and the scratches i cant feel when i run a nail over it so will give it a crak with 1500 grit and let you know how i get on!I:

also use warm water with a bit of washinup liquid in it :)

jayb
08-07-08, 22:53
Washing up liquid!! Thats a bit old school!! :)
I`ve only ever used it for cellulose, stops the paper clogging a bit
Warm water though.... now were talking!! :cool:

Mozzer
10-07-08, 18:21
ok couple of hours warm soapy water........wow what a difference much better...not perfect but better...could do with abit more work......now flated back as discussed mop with g3 then g10 finishing then two coats of autoglym resin polish........

are there any really could polishs that give a long lasting glossy finish

t4mark
10-07-08, 19:17
Washing up liquid!! Thats a bit old school!! :)
I`ve only ever used it for cellulose, stops the paper clogging a bit
Warm water though.... now were talking!! :cool:

thats me old skool :ILU::)

Bobster69
10-07-08, 23:16
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-T4-2-4-blue-bonnet-good-condition_W0QQitemZ370068033920QQcmdZViewItem?hash =item370068033920&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

T: