So is there any money in this d'ya think? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

So is there any money in this d'ya think?

steveclaire
07-07-08, 19:14
I've been building my first van for three weeks now and I'm loving it. Thing is, I wonder if there's anyone here that has actually turned this into a living or at least a way of supplementing their main income?

Been thinking for a while it would be nice if something I enjoyed doing actually paid for (some) of the bills. Anyone any experience of this?

:ILU::)

HECKY
07-07-08, 19:17
plenty of people doing it, the market is definately there. just look at ebay

VET 4 THE INSANE
07-07-08, 19:19
I`ve Pondered The Same Thing.in The Present Economic Climate......who Knows.
I`m Just Finishing 1 For My Boss To Sell So We`ll See

steveclaire
07-07-08, 19:21
plenty of people doing it, the market is definately there. just look at ebay

They seem to be taking the mickey with some of their pricing though. I mean, £600 to line a van!!! That's a good wage for a weekend's work! I don't think I could be so brash :eek:

HECKY
07-07-08, 19:24
at 500 you'll be the first choice for most. not bad for a weekend T:

golfgtioz
07-07-08, 19:38
depending on what your going to do with the van , if your going for the full blown camper conversion to be able to achieve maximum return you need to buy a very clean fully serviced low mileage van . obviously such vans as all thing's t4 can be quite costly then youve still got the cost of the conversion on top ££££ .. if your going down the colour code bumpers , rear springs , a carpeted ply route you still might struggle to make a good profit because what your selling is still really just a van ( people want campers / day vans ).. ive just been trying to sell my 03 2.5tdi (102) carpeted van but it didnt get even near the £4500.00 reserve on the ebay .

i would give it a go if either your a spray painter so your able to buy a slightly rough van or a joiner capable of making a nice camper interior

So-Kal
07-07-08, 19:40
I did ClimberIan's van in less than a day (albeit just the infills) and a weekend is the outside really for a rear trim. I swapped a set of steel wheels and tyres for the work....

Personally, I'd be embarrassed to charge what some people do - and that's me as an ex-Bentley trimmer.......

Go for it if you think you have the skill and the time........... :)

t4mark
07-07-08, 22:23
depending on what your going to do with the van , if your going for the full blown camper conversion to be able to achieve maximum return you need to buy a very clean fully serviced low mileage van . obviously such vans as all thing's t4 can be quite costly then youve still got the cost of the conversion on top ££££ .. if your going down the colour code bumpers , rear springs , a carpeted ply route you still might struggle to make a good profit because what your selling is still really just a van ( people want campers / day vans ).. ive just been trying to sell my 03 2.5tdi (102) carpeted van but it didnt get even near the £4500.00 reserve on the ebay .

i would give it a go if either your a spray painter so your able to buy a slightly rough van or a joiner capable of making a nice camper interior

i think your right we'll soon see, as im a spraypainter im going to pick up an N reg on friday thats a bit rough, lwb, was a 12 seater bus had seat removed . £400.!! if i can make a small profit i'll be happy. some of the prices are over the top but thats because there are greedy people out there knowin if someone wants one that bad they will pay wat it takes ,i nearly fell for that on a number of occations .

Black van man
08-07-08, 18:25
I think that people need to be mindful of the legal side of things when they start knocking out cheap vans.

Its ok when you lower a van and put audi alloys on and rock N roll type seats in the back or even the seats up front, but are they safe? (the seats) and are the wheels load rated etc.

What happens if the seats come up in an accident or if the gas bottle that is diy fitted is un-vented.

If your buting them and doing them up to make money, are you not a trade seller and doesnt that give the buyers more rights/legal recourse?

Just a thought

justina3
09-07-08, 08:51
I think that people need to be mindful of the legal side of things when they start knocking out cheap vans.

Its ok when you lower a van and put audi alloys on and rock N roll type seats in the back or even the seats up front, but are they safe? (the seats) and are the wheels load rated etc.

What happens if the seats come up in an accident or if the gas bottle that is diy fitted is un-vented.

If your buting them and doing them up to make money, are you not a trade seller and doesnt that give the buyers more rights/legal recourse?

Just a thought

and a very good thought as well, i take the view of not doing any gas work i will fit all the applicances into the build i am doing but couldnt sleep at night if something went wrong with some plumbing i done let alone the legal side of things

golfgtioz
09-07-08, 17:13
good point about the gas side of things .. best bet there is supply the van with the hob fitted but not connected , you could even fit all the pipe work but its up to the buyer to connect if up . this would put all responsibility onto the buyer so if they want to connect it up themselves or get a qualified gas fitter to do it , there choice ..

just to show you what you might expect as far as resale .. this picture below is the van i had listed on ebay last weekend , fully resprayed ,lowered ( full kit ) alloys , ect ect and it only made £3600 on a 2003 2.5tdi 102

click on pic to enlarge

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/golfgtioz/th_DSC00099.jpg (http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/golfgtioz/DSC00099.jpg)

alister
09-07-08, 22:29
hard one this? i'm doing my van out. seems all my mates want one now but they all want low milage 2.5 diesel 102bhp manual with pop top? willing to pay upto £10 000. but they all want the moon on a stick 4 birth, audi rims, lowered, swivel captian chairs.cookers ,night heaters ,zig unit ,the list goes on and on:eek::eek:
on the other side i've seen many short nose 1.9d, lowered, audi rims, tidy paint go for £6000 i know you can pick these vans up from £1500, spring's and rim's £1000, they don't really spend more than £500 on a spray job and hey presto you've got your self a nice looking surfbus and £3000 grand profit.
it gets expensive if you want to do it top end spec and there's not much more profit in it for you. by the way my mates are all looking for late rhd westies with pop tops:c:cH:H:
before getting my new bus i talked to a couple of importers they seem to have been stung with the euro so strong getting good german t4 is an expensive business now. and £10 000 the limit a lot of people set them selves.
saying that if you would like to fit my reimo pop top i would pay you good money.

kiteBored
10-07-08, 10:35
good point about the gas side of things .. best bet there is supply the van with the hob fitted but not connected , you could even fit all the pipe work but its up to the buyer to connect if up . this would put all responsibility onto the buyer so if they want to connect it up themselves or get a qualified gas fitter to do it , there choice ..

just to show you what you might expect as far as resale .. this picture below is the van i had listed on ebay last weekend , fully resprayed ,lowered ( full kit ) alloys , ect ect and it only made £3600 on a 2003 2.5tdi 102

click on pic to enlarge

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/golfgtioz/th_DSC00099.jpg (http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/golfgtioz/DSC00099.jpg)

Just shows you how the has fallen out of ebay and T4's..

People are tightening up and the first thing to go is expensive campers, that cost the earth to run these days

simplepsy
10-07-08, 11:20
there are tons of people knocking out slightly modded T4s. Alloys, lowered, a bit of a spray and maybe carpet.

I personally have nothing against it as such, but it does clutter up the scene a bit. It also makes it harded to get a "blank canvas" and Im willing to bet there are a few cut 'n' shut crews out there who are watching the growing scene with interest.

Still - popularity will eventually shift elsewhere and the core T4 scene will remain as strong as ever, as with all scenes which wax and wane in popularity.

If you can make a bit of cash then do it - just remember to be a part of the community and give back, not just take from T:

t4world
10-07-08, 19:58
If you can make a bit of cash then do it - just remember to be a part of the community and give back, not just take from T:

Good call simplepsy :cool:

California
11-07-08, 16:30
Well Simplypsy I can remember people at split screen bus shows some time ago moaning about more and more people getting in to there scene and pushing the prices up and couldnít wait for the fad to move on and looked what happened there, I donít see the popularity doing any thing other than growingT:

Keith

simplepsy
11-07-08, 17:20
Well Simplypsy I can remember people at split screen bus shows some time ago moaning about more and more people getting in to there scene and pushing the prices up and couldnít wait for the fad to move on and looked what happened there, I donít see the popularity doing any thing other than growingT:

Keith

Ive only owned 1 VW ever, and I bought it last april so Ive no experience of the aircooled scheme other than through mates.

The ting is once a vehicle stops being made then supplies of said vehicle will dry out in a few decades and all that will be left will be genuine enthusiasts, servicing the ones that remain. Loadsa people are already getting T5s... how long before a tidy 'scene' T4 is hard to get hold of? 30 years? I dont know. Like I said Ive only been in the VW scene for 3 months! LOL:

Popularity may grow, but that will make it more expensive and competitive and like I said. They dont make the T4 anymore so popularity can only grow so far.

Im not complaining. The plus side is our vans will be worth more T:
Twas just an observation

autohaus taunton
12-07-08, 10:19
we are insurance approved converter on all our work.just picture this allyou d.i.y ers.tell your insurance co what u have done.if u dont it will cost u dear in an accident.friend of mine had accident bad one someone died.insurence co refused to pay as he didnt notify them of his conversion.he lost van is now being taken to court by other party.oh happy day.just think first. we fully trim insulate ply line van incl floor and roof.For £850 takes a week.we also have overheads.u can do it yourself cheaper.i agrea.depends what u want finish to be diy conertions are hard to resell.

justina3
12-07-08, 11:17
we are insurance approved converter on all our work.just picture this allyou d.i.y ers.tell your insurance co what u have done.if u dont it will cost u dear in an accident.friend of mine had accident bad one someone died.insurence co refused to pay as he didnt notify them of his conversion.he lost van is now being taken to court by other party.oh happy day.just think first. we fully trim insulate ply line van incl floor and roof.For £850 takes a week.we also have overheads.u can do it yourself cheaper.i agrea.depends what u want finish to be diy conertions are hard to resell.

morning, a very hard question to answer as i do not know what standard head unit you have fitted ford do ranges from 4000 right up to the top of the range 6000 model, the standard head unit power isnt amazing sadly in any of the models but neither are the ford speakers so i would guess you would see an increase in base and treble but no volume as the head unit will give the speakers the same power as the old ones fitted so i guess it depends on what your after,

simplepsy
13-07-08, 09:11
LOL:

Well said Justina3!

autohaus taunton - that is a shameless plug and is only slightly relevant to this thread. You should be ashamed :no

autohaus taunton
13-07-08, 09:20
shameless plug is it we dont need to advertise for work .the revelant part of my letter is the insurence aspect of it.just ask your insurence company if you doubt what i say..

justina3
13-07-08, 20:09
morning, a very hard question to answer as i do not know what standard head unit you have fitted ford do ranges from 4000 right up to the top of the range 6000 model, the standard head unit power isnt amazing sadly in any of the models but neither are the ford speakers so i would guess you would see an increase in base and treble but no volume as the head unit will give the speakers the same power as the old ones fitted so i guess it depends on what your after,

ok that was for a customer on ebay asking for advise on a speaker upgrade thats my excuse anyway LOL:

what i ment to ask was what is an insurance approved van convertor i have searched high and low and found no industry standard certainly within insurance approvals anyway, we are thatcham approved for our alarm and tracker installations via vsib and msef for our audio installs just wondering what this approval covers and from whom.

cheers T:

BANANAVAN
13-07-08, 20:25
LOL:

autohaus taunton - that is a shameless plug and is only slightly relevant to this thread. You should be ashamed :no

Wouldn't be the first time I:

autohaus taunton
14-07-08, 07:06
an iinsurance approved converter.means our convertions to campers or day vans will be insured by a major insurence co.for our customers.they are satisfied that our work is up to current uk and eu standard.i dont know of any other small converter who has this approval.but i am sure someone knows different.

justina3
14-07-08, 08:38
sounds awsome, i have been making calls on this all morning still cant find out who issues such certificates the top leading 5 companies have never heard of it any suggestions who to call to find out what the Qualifying criteria is please

phil5556
16-07-08, 23:39
an iinsurance approved converter.means our convertions to campers or day vans will be insured by a major insurence co.for our customers.they are satisfied that our work is up to current uk and eu standard.i dont know of any other small converter who has this approval.but i am sure someone knows different.

sounds awsome, i have been making calls on this all morning still cant find out who issues such certificates the top leading 5 companies have never heard of it any suggestions who to call to find out what the Qualifying criteria is please

We need a popcorn smiley......

phil5556
16-07-08, 23:39
http://www.improvresourcecenter.com/mb/images/smilies/popcorn.gif

Found one :)