Ball park figures please [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Ball park figures please

steve padda
18-07-08, 19:23
Hi Guys
I am trying to get an overall picture for the cost of having a clutch replaced in a velle 102 bhp, it dose not need a dual mass flywheel replacing just the clutch parts.
I have been quoted 368 inc of vat.... what are the reactions to this.
thanks

steve

stridey
18-07-08, 19:39
About right.

See if there is a Mr clutch taht will quote from their menu pricing.

And make it clear that ANY extras such as slave cylinders etc are OK before you give it to them otherwise they may be tempted to ramp up the costs.

paul ss
18-07-08, 19:40
my reaction to that is tell them to fook off and get the spaners out lol never had a clutch done on a t4 i do all my own work but that does sound pretty steep to me but am just a tight sod lol

steve padda
18-07-08, 19:42
Hi stridey
The price includes the slave cylinder and the quote was from a place called VW rescue it was mentioned on here as been reasonable and good.
So looks like they may be getting the job

thanks

steve

BANANAVAN
18-07-08, 19:57
my reaction to that is tell them to fook off and get the spaners out lol never had a clutch done on a t4 i do all my own work but that does sound pretty steep to me but am just a tight sod lol

Do it on a 2.5tdi Them come back with that statment I:I: :eek:

stridey
18-07-08, 20:57
If they are already quoting for the slave cylinder then (it is good to replace at least the seal on the slave) then thats OK.

In fact, ask them if they can do just the seal and maybe save a bob or two. Or at least make an informed decision on that basis. From memory the slave is 35 ish and a seal is 5 and thats what goes....

Sure, doing it yourself will save money. But as a price for someone else to do it (its a pig of a job) Id be happy. Sounds like they actually know how to do it, and are happy to do it which is important.

steve padda
19-07-08, 07:35
Hi
Thanks guys for your input, it hurts for me to pay some one else also as I do all my own repairs if time allows, but however paul ss mate I have read and been told of the 2.5 clutch change being a nightmare to replace. :(
Total pain with out an engine frame or about 4 others to help do it with a engine hoist, I have access to all this and still do not fancy it.
I think I will pay the money unless there is anyone who can convince me any different.
I can get the clutch kit inc the slave cylinder for 118 plus vat. So it dose not sound too execssive for the labour part of it to be done.

steve

T:

The Riddler
20-07-08, 20:25
Hi
The job was done by my husband on his own with 2 axle stands and a bottle jack. He didnt have to remove engine, he replaced the complete clutch and removed the old dual mass clutch and replaced with a standard fly wheel clutch kit... a sunday job. The kit cost around 120. I:I:

steve padda
20-07-08, 21:39
Hi
The job was done by my husband on his own with 2 axle stands and a bottle jack. He didnt have to remove engine, he replaced the complete clutch and removed the old dual mass clutch and replaced with a standard fly wheel clutch kit... a sunday job. The kit cost around 120. I:I:

Hi Riddler
Have not had it done yet, although the price was not a bad one I am still thinking have a go.
Any ideas where your hubby got the kit from ??
steve
T:

The Riddler
20-07-08, 21:46
Hi
John got the kit from www.thequalityfactor.co.uk, this was a 4 peice kit. If you want to talk to him about doing the job then send me a private email and i will send you his email address and moby.

Good luck :ILU:

paul ss
20-07-08, 21:47
search ebay mate there seams to be a few on there from when i was looking didnt save the links ,

i always find getting your hands dirty not only saves you money but you get the knolege to and if it goes wrong again you dont have to worry just do it yourself again easy , i find in mecanics its all practice

i have never had any of my cars in a garage apart from mot-tyres dont trust garages since had bad experince when they crashed one of my cars lol i now building my own engines all practice so get the spanners out and have a go , if you was closer i would offer a hand

good luck with which route you takeT:

steve padda
20-07-08, 21:55
Hi
John got the kit from www.thequalityfactor.co.uk, this was a 4 peice kit. If you want to talk to him about doing the job then send me a private email and i will send you his email address and moby.

Good luck :ILU:

Thanks
you have a pm
steve
T:

steve padda
20-07-08, 22:04
search ebay mate there seams to be a few on there from when i was looking didnt save the links ,

i always find getting your hands dirty not only saves you money but you get the knolege to and if it goes wrong again you dont have to worry just do it yourself again easy , i find in mecanics its all practice

i have never had any of my cars in a garage apart from mot-tyres dont trust garages since had bad experince when they crashed one of my cars lol i now building my own engines all practice so get the spanners out and have a go , if you was closer i would offer a hand

good luck with which route you takeT:

Hi Paul
Thanks for the offer mate, just being a lazy sod have the use of ramps etc sitting behind a desk gets you lazy.
steve
T:

steve padda
25-07-08, 00:23
Hi Guys
Just a quick update on the shall I or shall I not replace the clutch myself issue.
Well I did it today :D Got a kit from a local motor factor who deals in German and such like vehicles, bit like GSF/ Europarts.
In the the kit was a dual mass flywheel complete with clutch plate(friction) and pressure plate, all already bolted together and a slave cylinder. All for 355,24 inc of the dreaded vat and was a LUK kit.
Found I needed a flywheel after inspecting mine :(. Had the help of my brother and use of his workshop, too be honest it was more fiddly than any thing else.
Well happy with the result and my self (got my lazy into gear), and yes I would do it again.

steve :D
T:

paul ss
25-07-08, 00:33
well done fella see sometimes pays getting your hands dirty few more beer tokens LOL:

what did you do with the flywheel get new or just get old one skimed T:

paul ss
25-07-08, 00:38
well done fella see sometimes pays getting your hands dirty few more beer tokens LOL:

what did you do with the flywheel get new or just get old one skimed T: sorry just read you got flywheel in the package must go get some sleep I:

steve padda
25-07-08, 06:41

what did you do with the flywheel get new or just get old one skimed T:

Hi Paul
Do not think the flywheel can be skimmed anyway as it is a dual mass one and it is the damping that gives up the ghost.
Anyhow she is smooth as silk now no vibrations from the engine...:D

Yea mate need the beer tokens off to Brean Sands for two weeks on sat morning, dragging my caravan.:D

thanks

steve

T:

HUBCaravelle
25-07-08, 08:53
I was quoted 1300 to replace my clutch by my local garage because they recon they have to take the engine out. They had done one before and that was their labour charge:c

My local VW van centre quoted 834 for a new clutch.

These prices were for clutches only and not for the dual mass flywheel.

steve padda
25-07-08, 19:26
I was quoted 1300 to replace my clutch by my local garage because they recon they have to take the engine out. They had done one before and that was their labour charge:c

My local VW van centre quoted 834 for a new clutch.

These prices were for clutches only and not for the dual mass flywheel.

If you can get some one to help it is not hard, worth having a go, mine is so smooth now Iam really glad I did it and did not farm it out, holds no fears for next time.
There is a guy on ebay selling complete kits for 250 plus post I could not wait for that as he is on holiday untill the 29th and I needed mine to be ready for tommorow for our holiday.
I can only confirm I did not feel the need to take the engine out, it was awkward refitting the box as we did not have a engine stand, but we improvised and used a engine hoist (donkey) from underneath to lift thre engine up and then found a sissor jack from a ford fiesta fits nice up to the cross member and the foot of the jack then sits against the side of the engine block and allows the engine to be moved away from the cross member.Which then makes it easier for the box to be offered up and fitted
It is just so fiddley thats all.

steve

T:

The Riddler
26-07-08, 16:04
Well done for doing it yourself, now you will be itching to do all the other stuff, rather than getting those dreaded garages involved A:A: