Heater stuck on hot!! [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Heater stuck on hot!!

Mr Mega
21-07-08, 17:41
Not good on days like this, anyone any ideas where to start looking for problem, and yes the dial is turned to coldH:

PredacomDom
21-07-08, 17:45
Do a search mate. How to fix it was on a thread from a couple of days ago!

oskins
21-07-08, 17:45
check under the bonnet, below the expansion tank, and you will find the other end of the heater cable attached to a lever.
If you get someone to turn the dial in the car and the lever dont move, then you will need a new control switch (quite common)
Just move the lever by hand, towards the front, and you will have cold air again:ILU:

Mr Mega
21-07-08, 17:50
Thanks Guys.
Will give it a try

fishface220
21-07-08, 17:55
That remind me, I must get round to fixing mine!

If you get hot just pop the bonnet, if you get cold just pop the bonnet again. So much cheaper than VW....????

I believe the heater control fron the golf is a straight replacement.

GarethWyn
21-07-08, 23:20
It may be that the end of the adjustment arm has snapped off (very common); so a quick fix would be to simply remove the fascia panel that surrounds the heater panel and adjust the cable by hand! ...worked for me before I fixed the arm.

GarethWyn
21-07-08, 23:21
...didn't read the reply above sorry; but it is possible to adjust from inside the vehicle!

veedubnut
19-01-09, 00:15
It may be that the end of the adjustment arm has snapped off (very common); so a quick fix would be to simply remove the fascia panel that surrounds the heater panel and adjust the cable by hand! ...worked for me before I fixed the arm.

has anyone got any more details on this or even better a part number and rough price??

Ive got the same problem where I have had to remove the lower facia panel to manually adjust the heater cable.

Can anyone confirm whats needed first please before I remove the dials to do the repair..

AndyGG
19-01-09, 11:11
I had the same problem...cost 180 quid for garage to fix it. VW part was around 80.

Nic
20-01-09, 12:16
if its the arm you can't buy them alone need to buy the whole unit, not cheap from VW and I couldn't find a golf one that fitted for a decent price either, ended up making a new arm myself from a bit of Alloy, can send you some drawings if you want??

ddixonuk
15-04-09, 15:36
Ive got this problem. I just pulled the front off and took the heater control unit out.
When i turn the temp dial the alloy arm does not move so im guessing there is a linkage somewhere behind the dial (that i cant see) that isnt working.

Stuck my hand under the bonnet and moved the lever so hopefully its on cold now.

Does it sound like i need a whole new unit or is it fixable?

ddixonuk
15-04-09, 15:54
Anyone know if this will fit?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270326727994

Looks similar but a different part number. My part number on the broken unit in my van is:

7D1 819 045L

ddixonuk
16-04-09, 13:39
Bump! can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Bic
30-05-09, 07:13
I've got the same problem, salvaged t4 heater controls seem to be like rocking horse poo.
Took it all out and the heater control arm doesn't move, investigating further i found if you remove the blower boost push switch from underneath that the plastic has given up where the heater arm pivots. i think this is due to the cable being a bit seized and so the plastic has given up and broken. so I have 2 problems to now sort out.
P.S be careful taking the unit apart as it easily brakes...der. never mind it doesn't work properly anyway.

so any hints on alternative donors or where the rocking horse has been would be appreciated.

mark4
30-05-09, 07:41
The part from ebay wont work directly... It has different cable mountings and the wiring loom is different.

One from a mk3 golf i think fits or similar aged polo definitely fit - i have one in my t4!

Local scrapper is a good option usually or ebay!

Mark :ILU: