Quick Question - Does Coasting cut fuel useage? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Quick Question - Does Coasting cut fuel useage?

merlin
22-07-08, 21:12
I light of the current sky high fuel prices, I have been trying to do alot of coasting on trip to and from work.

It's quite hilly so I can do quite alot.

My question though is does it work?

I have heard lots already about reduced control and extra wear on brakes and I am fully aware of these issues, so please, I am really only interested in if anyone can give me a good solid yes or no about the effectiveness of coasting in cutting full bills.

Are you a coaster? Do you think it works?

paul ss
22-07-08, 21:15
acording to other vw cars it uses much less if any fuel at all when in gear but by free rolling it you use more thats what i heard about the newish audi and vwT:

merlin
22-07-08, 21:19
acording to other vw cars it uses much less if any fuel at all when in gear but by free rolling it you use more thats what i heard about the newish audi and vwT:

So, does this apply to y reg 2.5 TDi T4's do you reckon?

paul ss
22-07-08, 21:22
i couldnt say for defanite to be honest mate but i was told this think about 2004 , but your talking to wrong person about fuel saving i can get less than pretty much anyone more than likly just my driving style i think LOL:

ahay!
22-07-08, 21:52
Modern engines use no fuel when decelerating (ie off the accelerator, clutch up). If you push the clutch down or disengage the gear, you are on tick over which requires fuel, albeit a small amount.

So the short answer is coasting uses more fuel :ILU: