Update Tdi Cambelt Change !! [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Update Tdi Cambelt Change !!

paulweld
25-07-08, 08:01
Hi guys as a lot of you know ive been in process of learning about cambelt changing etc ( never owned T4 before ! ) well ive got the job done at last its now got a new cam belt/s /pulleys /new water pump and been fully serviced as well !!
must say its not the easiest of jobs to do and you do need a good tool kit !! i made some of the tools myself and with the help of a friend and is very good air impact wrench was able to do get it done ( would have failed with out inpact wrench to get the crankshaft pulley off as it is TIGHT !! ) it helps because i have a decent air compressor we basicaly marked everything up did the cambelt first checked it was all correct and then did the pump belt and checked it was correct ( we doubled checked everything !! ) we refitted everything back up and refilled with antifreeze and started it ! went first time !!
VAG-COM did not check it on vag-com for timing as it was all marked up and went back in the same position as removed timing should should still be ok ! and it was PHEW ! looking in to vag-com to check things but dont have a laptop yet !!
Will say this you do need a fair amount of skill etc to tackle this job and tools, but if you have go for it just take your time and double check everything . thanks to all who give advice and helped me to have the nerve to go ahead lol !! cheers guys T:

muffbrush
25-07-08, 11:29
good on you A:
how long did it take roughly.

paulweld
25-07-08, 13:44
Sorry could not put a time to it as it was done over two nights and with caution/coffee ! but probley 3-5 hrs but once youve done this once it would be quicker as you know were you are going ! i put a lot more time into it as i cleaned as much as i could get at when it was stripped and was able to check other things as well ! ( which does not happen in garages !! ) which is why i wanted to tackle it myself !:)

muffbrush
25-07-08, 16:58
Thanks paul,

i'm interested because i will
be doing mine in the next few weeks T:

VET 4 THE INSANE
25-07-08, 18:30
Glad You Got It Sorted Bud

steve padda
25-07-08, 19:16
Nice one bud, I just done a clutch change on the 2.5 tdi, not as complex as your job but well worth the savings in costs.
Next will be having a go at the belts..:eek:

steve

T:

paulweld
26-07-08, 07:19
Cheers guys if there is info i can give when you go to do your belts put a post up or pm me ok ! cost me about 180.00 for everything ( cam kit/waterpump/and service stuff ) not including my time and return help to my mate !! lol it helps to have a mate there !! cost in garage about 300 00-400-00 just to have the belts done not including waterpump and service ! so its a good saving T:

jets
26-07-08, 12:38
Well done Paulweld. Pleased to hear you were successful. It is very satisfying doing it yourself & I agree with your remark about cleaning everything. What would you say is the hardest part of the job?

paulweld
26-07-08, 16:34
jets i would say hardest part is getting the crank pulley off as this is very tight and without the right crankpulley holding tool and a very big bar and socket to slackin it off it is difficult i was lucky as a friend as a good air impact wrench ( compressor set at 120 psi !! )was the only way i was able to remove it ! did not have the correct tools to lock it up ! after that its just a case of marking everything up and stripping down etc ( all set to timing marks and then tip-x your own marks as well so you know its all going back in the correct place ,) and double check everything !T:

jets
26-07-08, 23:31
Without the proper tool to hold the crank pulley, how did you tighten to the correct tension?
After reading quite a bit about changing the T/belt, I figured this could be a stumbling block so I have since made one up, copying the factory tool.

paulweld
28-07-08, 09:04
Hi mate we used the impact wrench as i do not have a torque wrench that would torque up to the figure thats needed its quite high 460NM !! so basicaly do it up tight as you can !! you get the same problem with the bay window buses with the rear nut this is torqued to 286 llb/p/ft and that very tight !! so i use a 3ft bar and tighten tight ( you would need a 3ft torque wrench 300llb to do this and very expensive to buy ) and ive done lots of them with no problems ! but torque wrench is the best way if you can i always torque thingsT: if i can but with that kind of torque it add to be impact wrench !!

jets
29-07-08, 03:50
Is yours an early TDI? From 2/95 the tightening procedure is different, 160Nm and turn 180degrees. [1/2 turn] If the pulley works loose it could damage the end of the crankshaft.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PLANFRASVORRICHTUNG-f-KURBELWELLEN-VON-VW-AUDI-SEAT_W0QQitemZ260151769055QQihZ016QQcategoryZ83628 QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
If you are any doubt I would take your van to someone with the tool and use a new stretchbolt. The earlier engine [pre 1/95 & earlier] may not need a new bolt.

paulweld
29-07-08, 20:09
Cheers for that jets i will double check though tighten to 160nm and then 180 degrees will put a lot of torgue on so the method we used may be fine will double check this one as maybe i have got the wrong torque set up for my bus !! no probs so far but i wont leave it hang !! its a 2oo1 105 bh tdi but thats a good thing about posting stuff you find out things !! never to late to learn lol !! cheers mate will torque to my mate about this as he does cambelts a lot ? T:

mad ferret
31-07-08, 19:18
I'll be changing my belts in the next few weeks so is there a thread dedicated to this procedure anywhere on this site?

I'm specifically after torque figures really.

paulweld
31-07-08, 23:06
Hi ferret the ive checked about what jets said and he was right about later torque settings on my bus 01 its 160nm and a further 180degrees buses before are different ( 460 nm ) i can check if you give the year of your bus as i now have autodata cd installed ! interesting point that i found out from my local supplier who supplys " GATES CAMKITS OEM " that they supply the camshaft bolt if its required on the kit for my 01 bus it was not supplied so it seems it may not be nessary to replace bolt ? i am still checking this out after jets pointed this out to me ! ( and thanks jets because its an important point cheers mate ! ) of course following the right way to do these things is best ! T:

jets
01-08-08, 02:34
Did you mean camshaft or crankshaft bolt paulweld?

paulweld
01-08-08, 08:27
Opps CRANKSHAFT BOLT sorry guys big diff there lol !

jets
01-08-08, 11:55
interesting point that i found out from my local supplier who supplys " GATES CAMKITS OEM " that they supply the camshaft bolt if its required on the kit for my 01 bus it was not supplied so it seems it may not be nessary to replace bolt ? T:

Rather than relying on the supplier for the correct info, they have been known to be wrong before, I would prefer to go by what VW says. When they specify a tightening procedure like they have [160Nm + 180degrees] the bolt is a once use stretch bolt.
VW started to use them on cyl heads for the Mk1 golf & on the T4 they are even used on the front suspension. On your van you should definately change the bolt every time the pulley is loosened.

paulweld
01-08-08, 12:14
Point taken mate i will see my local vw dealer for new stretch bolt and see if i can sort out tool to lock crankshaft up ! i think my torque wrench goes to that figure and then tighten a further 180 degrees ! where my info went wrong i downloaded info on cambelt replacement for 2.5 tdi but it must have been early one then as i now have autodata cd installed and on that one it gives all years and mine is 160nm etc ! but like i said this is whats good about sites like this info can be passed around and advice taken to get it right !T:

jets
01-08-08, 23:59
Cheers. Hopefully your experience will help others on this forum.

paulweld
02-08-08, 10:46
Yep cheers jets its been a experience ! as untill i bought my T4 its the first time ive looked at one to work on never touched one before so its been a learning curve but ive come a fair way as in fully seviced /cam belts/pulleys/waterpump for first time around its not bad going !! ok had a bit of wrong info but thats sorted now and i dare say it will help a few people to tackle their own T4 s T:

SPENCE
07-11-08, 20:25
Point taken mate i will see my local vw dealer for new stretch bolt and see if i can sort out tool to lock crankshaft up ! i think my torque wrench goes to that figure and then tighten a further 180 degrees ! where my info went wrong i downloaded info on cambelt replacement for 2.5 tdi but it must have been early one then as i now have autodata cd installed and on that one it gives all years and mine is 160nm etc ! but like i said this is whats good about sites like this info can be passed around and advice taken to get it right !T:

Hi there were did you get the cd from as i want to do all my belts and clutch soon. Also who did you buy your belts and everything from
cheers