T4's Caravelles for sale? There aren't any... [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

T4's Caravelles for sale? There aren't any...

StephenTazz
31-07-08, 20:00
... well when I say there aren't any, I mean there aren't any that Mrs Tazz likes - or they are too far away to go and see.

I keep telling her not be so picky as I can easily turn one into something that fits the bill - for her new child minding business.

With The Caravelle Centre not responding to our emails, I've resorted to looking at the alternatives:

V-Class - even the Merc boys avoid the pre 2003 model, the later V-Class???
Tourneo - with all the refinery of a Transit van - although I'd never knock a Transit.
Previa - hmmmm???
... and all the other xxxxxxxxx (Jap imports, I mean)?
A Big American - they're cheap and easy to service, but I'm sure the novelty of a throbbing V8 will soon wear off on the daily school run...
... but then there are the American Minivans - the Voyager, early ones had dodgy brakes and generally they're not kid proof
Eurovan - no not the American Caravelle; the Peugeot 806/807, Citroen Synergie/C8 clan - alot of motor for not alot of money - but no room for a full size pram/push chair with a full complement of seats
Sharan/Galaxy - I like the built in kiddy booster seats, but that's about it
Espace - questionable reliablity - pram issues
Touran/Verso/Zafira - been there - compact, but buggy/shopping issues...
Scenic/Picasso/C-Max - not enough seats
Audi/Merc/Volvo/Montego 7-seater estate - how would you like to go backwards all the time? But then the old Peugoeot 505 and CX Estates had forward facing seats - but what about rot?
Discovery/Defender - we do live down an unmade road in the country???
Merc R-Class/Audi Q7 - one can dream...
T5 or T3 - "I like T5's (they're in the same dream catagory as the R-Class/Q7), but you'd never see me in a T3" (even though we had one and missed it so much we bought the T4, and made it into a Camper...)So, what vehicle drives something like a car; is as cheap to run as a car; doesn't take up too much road space; can comfortably swallow as many bods as you'd ever care to without disrupting the pramage?

Answer... ellevaraC 4T A

The American Caravelle - the Eurovan - never enjoyed the success of it's forefathers - the Station Wagen (Microbus) and Vanagon) - even though the Aussies and Canadians embraced the T4. Okay, it was up against the likes of the Voyager, Honda Odessey (Shuttle over here - we had one of them briefly, very briefly), GM's offering (anyone remember the Vauxhall Sintra?), and the Aerostar from Ford, which were all built on car platforms rather than a Van platform...

I disgress...

Why a Caravelle? Because Mrs Tazz cannot be insured as a Child Minder on the Camper, which can easily be adapted (with an additional Variotech seat) to carry more peeps...

Initially we would have prefered a TDI but, given the price of diesel (and veg oil) any petrol model (with there higher C)2 emissions) converted to LPG would do as long as it is Metallic Silver or Gold with air con, ABS, electric windows and central locking - and is either 2000 on V,W or X reg (for cheaper tax - although the VED is a running cost and some Caravelles are LGV's - but which ones?)

autohaus taunton
01-08-08, 07:46
i dont think any caravelles are lgv..only the window vans and the multivans but not the caravelle multivans.they are 2 different models.a multivan lgv is van with windows and rear seats all forward facing.have you looked at versa disability buses.??devon converted vans to welfare buses still classed as lgv.

reimoboy
01-08-08, 07:51
As a note I would probably steer clear of the Caravelle Centre as they seem to charge top dollar!!

elvis
01-08-08, 08:03
zafira no room what so ever,and the 1.6 petrol is too revvy and underpowered when fully loaded ,hard seats as well.
renault espace mate had one she had nothing but garage bills and renaults build quality is rubbish and tbh its awful to look at.
anything japanese is overpriced and over complicated to work on
senic,sharan,galaxy like the zafira too small
american whats part prices like
7 seater estates like you say why go back and also the kids parents wont take a proffesional view on them.
at the end of the day how many kids is she looking after i got 5 and another due at xmas and my 2 choices would be 110 defender station wagon or caravelle.which 2 years ago i was doing the same as you,and with a 5k budget i would have been lucky to get a tidy 300tdi station wagon for that money but i got a 9 seater lwb 2.4 velle.its never let me down is comfy and very practical.kids love landrovers but will your wife its basically a tractor ,not refined can be pigs to drive and will bounce her everywhere.dont get me wrong i love landys but their basic tough vehicles that were built for outdoors people to hose down the inside.hope it helps.

steve padda
01-08-08, 19:50
i dont think any caravelles are lgv..only the window vans and the multivans but not the caravelle multivans.they are 2 different models.a multivan lgv is van with windows and rear seats all forward facing.have you looked at versa disability buses.??devon converted vans to welfare buses still classed as lgv.

Hi
Sorry but there are caravelles which are lgv, I have one and I think it was down to to who purchased the velle from new.
If purchased by a comercial user they seem to be lgv, if how ever purchased by as private buyer they were classed as estate cars etc.
steve

T:

steve padda
01-08-08, 19:56
Hi
Sorry but there are caravelles which are lgv, I have one and I think it was down to to who purchased the velle from new.
If purchased by a comercial user they seem to be lgv, if how ever purchased by as private buyer they were classed as estate cars etc.
steve

T:

Sorry should have added it is not the basic model either, comes with leccy windows, central locking, air con, captains chairs, rear hot and cold blowers and other little extras and is 8 seats

steve

T:

VET 4 THE INSANE
01-08-08, 20:11
my boss has got 1 for sale bud

may/may not be of interest to you

2.4swb auto

on an "s"plate

new mot/tax

light blue met,colour coded

70,000 miles approx

7 seats

audi 16" alloys & 60mm drop

clean n tidy velle

he`s lookin for 5000 which to be honest i think is a tad high(there seems to be no logic with velle prices)but i know thats what it owes him

hope this helps

banty
01-08-08, 20:36
TRY www.vw-shop.co.uk they have plenty imported from japan and low mileage

StephenTazz
02-08-08, 09:26
The VW-Shop is on my radar, and we have friends in Durham (Mrs Tazz is a Geordie Gal), the Caravelle Centre, may be top dollar but they seem to have a good reputation; being in the trade myself, a good reputation is a life-line in this day and age...

Millbridge, VW-Diesels all seem to be in the same ball park - and given the rarity and demand, a prepped, serviced and guaranteed Caravelle from any dealer will be a fair chunk dearer than one sold privately (without the prep work and guarantee)...

Just Caravelles is a new site, which throws up any Velle that come on the market - we're watching that one quite closely, and the classifieds on the Forum of course (but you have to be quick)...

A friend came out of a 4wd Previa (too juicy, like our Shuttle was) into a Zafira (we had the Touran). She was also considering a Landie, but they are too agricultural (even the Disco's) for our liking (I would consider a "Wolf" spec with all the goodies on it, but only because of their Tonka Toy looks). As her other half is big on Quattro's, we steered them in this direction...

So, we're not the only ones looking for a tidy Velle, but the 2.4 is too much like the 1.9TD we already have performance wise - my wife wants something a tad more "lively" I: (although, in my eyes, there's nothing wrong with the pp'd 1.9 - having come from a T3 and Type 2 Westy)...

Anyone importing from Indonesia, Oz, South Africa and Taiwan (all righthand drive markets, as well as Japan)? Even though these imports would have to be SVA'd and UK registered, I do sense a business opportunity here...

... American car parts are surprisingly cheap and plentiful, and there is no mystery to servicing (and tuning) a Yank Tank.

slammedviper
02-08-08, 10:04
TRY www.vw-shop.co.uk they have plenty imported from japan and low mileage

Just had a look at their website... Have you seen the white LWB T4 that they've got for sale?! Have a look in the more pictures part and then click on the first pic of the front of the vehicle.. The guy driving it has just passed out!!!! LOL:

(I found it quite amusing!)

Jono :ILU:

BANANAVAN
02-08-08, 10:49

Hi
steve

T:

same here i have a 2001 caravelle "variant" lgv also

Sam
03-08-08, 14:36
I was looking at a Chevy Astro before buying the T4. They have a 4.6 litre V6 and can have lpg done quite easily. I loved it but my missus was a bit nervous with left hand drive. Parts are easy to get hold of and maintenance seems pretty easy but they feel like trucks to drive (which in truth, they are). There was also a whiff of 'medallion man' about them which I just couldn't come to terms with. I am actually in California at the moment :ILU: and they look great on these roads but it's a different story in the UK. I've also seen more Eurovans over here than I thought I would, a grand total of 7 in one week!!!! H: