Pulling power [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Pulling power

heps460
10-08-08, 14:29
Hi All
I am looking to getting a boat and trailer to take fishing etc the boat is about 16ft long so its not to big infact the whole boat is not that huge my question is will my 1.9 800 pull it ok ?? :ILU:

team french
10-08-08, 15:07
it would be very hard work for a 1.9td and hills would be a nightmare. hold out for a 2.5tdi (102bhp) if i were youT:

P&K.
10-08-08, 15:23
Yep I agree 2.5 every day for towing,
towed with my EX AA 2.5 recently and almost forgot I had a trailer on.

heps460
10-08-08, 15:25
well I have my T4 1.9 and dont want to get rid of it as its a brand new inside might go have a look and see what its like to pull it would not be going far with it only down to lyme regis which is about 20 miles from my place :)

T4 Tom
10-08-08, 16:52
if your going 20miles and its only a boat I don't see the problem really.

I mean how much weight does the boat/ trailer equal?

Surely no more than the weight the van may carry other wise e.g. full of building equipment etc.

Give it a try and if it's a bit underpowered maybe consider turning up the fuel, boost and fitting an inter cooler which should produce an approximate extra 20bhp.

I'm not sure what sort of torque the 1.9 has but I've used my dads Transit to tow and my 1.9TD is quicker than that generally on hills etc.

paul ss
10-08-08, 17:17
i tried putting boat on back on mine and i could of swore someone had stolen the engine it drops on its knees soon as it even seen a hill LOL:

it can tell when it has the jet ski on never mind the boat plus with the t4 been fwd traction is proper in rain due to aqnything heavy makes it sqaut so much

team french
10-08-08, 17:56
I mean how much weight does the boat/ trailer equal?
if you apply monty python holy grail logic, a boat floats so does a duck, they must weigh the same!!!!LOL:LOL:LOL:

T4 Tom
10-08-08, 17:57
if you apply monty python holy grail logic, a boat floats so does a duck, they must weigh the same!!!!LOL:LOL:LOL:

LOL: LOL:

That this question answered though as a dug weights a couple of KG T:

heps460
10-08-08, 18:08
bit of a mixed bag on the answers think what i will do is go look at it hook it take it for a spin lots of hill around here in somerset lol and just see what gives spoke to the bloke selling it says its not to heavy :ILU:

Mr Big
11-08-08, 22:29
it can tell when it has the jet ski on never mind the boat plus with the t4 been fwd traction is proper in rain due to aqnything heavy makes it sqaut so much

How much nose weight are you running?

paul ss
11-08-08, 22:36
How much nose weight are you running?

havnt got a clue mate never weighed it T: