Is someone trying to steal my van? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Is someone trying to steal my van?

itsavanthing
11-08-08, 11:29
Was on my way down to my local car shop (approx 2 miles from home) to buy some more polishing cloths and polish. On the way I happened to pass a silver 4x4 stopped on the side of the road (a quiet residential street) - the guy was on his mobile phone - didn't take much notice of it, but did see that on either side of the letters/nos on the front no plate there were 2 small photos...thought to myself not seen that before.

Carried on, got my stuff, came home same way, no sign of the 4x4....until i pulled into my driveway faffed for 30 secs before getting out of the van, then as i was unlocking the front door of the house the 4x4 arrived outside my house only knew it was the same one due to the unusual number plate that I had seen just 5 mins before. (i live at the end of a cul-de-sac) he took a while to turn around. Saw him having a right good look in, so i stood on the doorstep and stared at him - to make it clear that I had seen him. When he had gone I ran out to the middle of the road just to check that he wasn't calling in at one of the other houses in the street, he didn't he just drove away down the street.

I read in the paper the other day that there has been a spate of cars being stolen around the area that I live. Houses being burgled for the car keys, then the cars stolen from the drive. Quite worried now :( What is to stop someone smashing a window in my van, releasing the handbrake, and pushing it (my driveway slopes downhill slightly) onto a flat bed truck?

At least for now my other half is away up north with it - so i'm safe for now.

jamestopdog
11-08-08, 11:49
Mate, a cheap good solution is to get a good quality caravan wheel lock, the last one i had was 100 quid and solid, bright orange as well, might help you sleep better at night T:

T4 Tom
11-08-08, 12:14
Could he just be a lost estate agent / sales rep or similar trying to get directions from his collegue to a house and was looking at you/ your house for house names/ numbers?

But yeh I'd say get some more cheap deterrents, wheel clamp, steering wheel lock, and keep your keys under the pillow ;)

mikey
11-08-08, 12:22
do you remember his reg, just in case you hear of anything else going missing in your area, the police could track him. T: On the other hand he might just have good taste and like t4's T:

GandT
11-08-08, 12:27
To be honest i think NO, i mean a T4 aint as desirable as a subaru now is it, so why go to all that trouble breaking in for keys when you can snap n cap a vw a be off in less than 60 seconds, and a scout for car sharks wouldnt prowl around with photo's on his reg plate either would he, draw attention to his unique reg, but your right to feel over protective if its your stuff, a good alarm and immobiliser will keep the vehicle stood still, and if your worried about rolling it onto a low loader-then fit cctv and worry everyone, its cheaper in the long run, but all said and done-if a thief wants your ride with the keys-then he will just drag you out of it when you least expect it, be vigalant but dont be scared-or youll never sleep...:ILU:

itsavanthing
11-08-08, 13:58
Mate, a cheap good solution is to get a good quality caravan wheel lock, the last one i had was 100 quid and solid, bright orange as well, might help you sleep better at night T:

Cheers mate,

Good idea, hadn't thought of that A:

rhinochaser
11-08-08, 15:12
Just because your paranoid that doesnt mean they arnt out to get you!!!!

(or something like that!)
Stick a big dog in the van for a few days- that should deter thieves- or your kids!

justina3
11-08-08, 15:26
i would say they would get more for t4 parts than a scooby on the good old ebay,

As mentioned i would run the plates past the old bill you never know what might turn up.

I have the opposite problem i get alerted by anyone coming within 100 yards of my house day or night best alarm ever invented imo.

my babies

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k252/sextons/IMG_0077-1.jpg

jamestopdog
11-08-08, 15:37
Cheers mate,

Good idea, hadn't thought of that A:

this is the one I got mate:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nemesis-Wheel-Clamp-Car-Caravan-4X4-Security-Clamp-New_W0QQitemZ380052040759QQihZ025QQcategoryZ121980 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

jamestopdog
11-08-08, 15:41
...oh and I got one of these...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/jamestopdog/tattoo.jpg

LOL:

kitcat
11-08-08, 17:49
Will this work?

http://elmtreecottages.co.uk/van/greyone.jpg

Rustybus
11-08-08, 17:55
When you park on the drive, leave the steering on full lock, less chance of a straight pull back. If you have the reg, then report it to crimestoppers as it may have been reported elsewhere

itsavanthing
13-08-08, 11:20
i would say they would get more for t4 parts than a scooby on the good old ebay,

As mentioned i would run the plates past the old bill you never know what might turn up.

I have the opposite problem i get alerted by anyone coming within 100 yards of my house day or night best alarm ever invented imo.

my babies

Liking the dogs a lot :D Shame I don't remeber the reg no.

itsavanthing
13-08-08, 11:21
this is the one I got mate:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nemesis-Wheel-Clamp-Car-Caravan-4X4-Security-Clamp-New_W0QQitemZ380052040759QQihZ025QQcategoryZ121980 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers for the link, looks good, think i'll order one.:ILU:

Jono
13-08-08, 15:49
What is to stop someone smashing a window in my van, releasing the handbrake, and pushing it (my driveway slopes downhill slightly) onto a flat bed truck?

Land Mines....simple and effective to protect the driveway.T:

Jono.

crisnsatch
13-08-08, 15:59

my babies

They are stunning!!!T:

Jurasik
13-08-08, 16:54

Jono.

Nah, you want a minigun attached to your bedroom window, with an alarm linked to a night sensor to wake you up! you can then give them some of this:
Van Minigun (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-ayCF3RF4&feature=related)

stridey
13-08-08, 19:27
My lift off steering wheel gives me peice of mind. And funny looks when checking in to hotels.

They may be wondering if you carry tools.

fat bloke no fingers
13-08-08, 19:40

Jono.

Oh if only A:A:A:A:

I got a severe talking to for fixing carpet gripper to the top of my fence previously I:

Apparently by law you have to warn of any potential injury to the thieving B:cS when they try and get in.

willonmitchell
13-08-08, 19:45
dig a moat around the house and have a draw bridge.............

Rhosneigr Gaz
13-08-08, 19:47
Get a high top and just plonk it on top of the van every night. Who the hells gonna nick a high top van? LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

bigcat
13-08-08, 23:47
Oh if only A:A:A:A:

I got a severe talking to for fixing carpet gripper to the top of my fence previously I:

Apparently by law you have to warn of any potential injury to the thieving B:cS when they try and get in.

Carpet gripper eh ? :D Liking that, how long ago were you quizzed about that? Right now Gordon's leftie :c ( Sorry , labour) need all the votes they can get. Doubt much more than a slapped wrist today in exchange for so much DNA .

OK, I own up just back from the pub. Doubt I'll feel any more like;y to roll over and have my stuff nicked in the mornimg :c:eek:I:

T4Tasty
14-08-08, 23:12
Just because your paranoid that doesnt mean they arnt out to get you!!!!

(or something like that!)
Stick a big dog in the van for a few days- that should deter thieves- or your kids!

Or the wife if she's more scary?,,,thats what I do LOL::D

t4-4 eva
21-11-08, 20:10
To be honest i think NO, i mean a T4 aint as desirable as a subaru now is it, so why go to all that trouble breaking in for keys when you can snap n cap a vw a be off in less than 60 seconds, and a scout for car sharks wouldnt prowl around with photo's on his reg plate either would he, draw attention to his unique reg, but your right to feel over protective if its your stuff, a good alarm and immobiliser will keep the vehicle stood still, and if your worried about rolling it onto a low loader-then fit cctv and worry everyone, its cheaper in the long run, but all said and done-if a thief wants your ride with the keys-then he will just drag you out of it when you least expect it, be vigalant but dont be scared-or youll never sleep...:ILU:

not too everyone mate but id sooner have a t4 to a subaru !!! im sure you would get more money for the t4 than the subaru I:

Jurasik
21-11-08, 20:39
not too everyone mate but id sooner have a t4 to a subaru !!! im sure you would get more money for the t4 than the subaru I:

& more respect! :ILU:T:

elvis
21-11-08, 20:51
Carpet gripper eh ? :D Liking that, how long ago were you quizzed about that? Right now Gordon's leftie :c ( Sorry , labour) need all the votes they can get. Doubt much more than a slapped wrist today in exchange for so much DNA .

OK, I own up just back from the pub. Doubt I'll feel any more like;y to roll over and have my stuff nicked in the mornimg :c:eek:I:
copper told me to do that about 3 yrs ago.got mine off freecycleI: