And so it begins [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

And so it begins

Rustybus
12-08-08, 18:24
Started removing the gearbox (noisy :( ) today, not being too well it's going to be a slow process, at least I have the use of a ramp and air tools :D I've found a local company that will strip and rebuild it for around 600 including parts, so should be better than an unknown second hand one I: Hope to have the bus back on the road next week ;)

steve73
12-08-08, 18:33
didn't realize it was that bad:confused:

Rustybus
12-08-08, 18:35
It should be out tomorrow and then the transmission company want it till Tuesday T:

steve73
12-08-08, 18:45
good luck mateT:

T4 Tom
12-08-08, 19:07
Mate, what was the actual problem with your box out of curiosity?

Mines whined since I had it, but it still works ok, just changed the fluid, made no difference but at least I know its had new fluid now.... my beetles box whined for the whole 20k i did in it and it's still going now (I sold it two years ago)

Was it just a whine or selection probs etc?

Cheers

Tom

Rustybus
12-08-08, 19:46
Mate, what was the actual problem with your box out of curiosity?

Cheers

Tom

A few weeks ago I thought I had a wheel bearing going (slight rumble), just ignored it I: then last week on the way back from France, it developed into a slight vibration and low hum (knew something serious was going on) Had it on the ramp today and run it up and it sounded like the diff was loose in the housing, so will find out when it is stripped. I'll let you all know what the fault is.

merlin
12-08-08, 21:32
Could it be your Dual Mass fly wheel ( if your bus has one?) This was what went on mine with the same characteristic noises. 700 to get replaced (inc new clutch and labour)

Rustybus
12-08-08, 21:44
Non dual mass I: Definitely a knackered diff :(

Rustybus
15-08-08, 18:47
2 more jobs done while waiting for the box to return :D Cambelt done, also replaced alternator belt. cured an oil leak from the dizzy T:

Can't wait to get back on the road :( :D

Rustybus
22-08-08, 18:46
The box is back T: All bearings replaced :D New reverse gear :D New flange (which was the cause of the problem) Plus a new clutch slave cylinder A: So a busy Saturday I: For me T: