HELP MORE T4 Woes for me [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

HELP MORE T4 Woes for me

TDI Dave
25-08-08, 15:28
Dunno how much more i can take from my t4

anyway here goes

So im off to my moms withe the bab who was 2 yesterday when beeeep beeeeep

the temp light on ,got to my moms 200 yds further down the road and all the coolant is gushing from the bottom pulley area

whats happend ????????????????????????

Im supposed to be going camping with the kids on wed for a week in wales i was really looking forward to it so were the kids havent had a holiday this year

i havent got a replacement car with a tow bar for our eriba !!!! :(:(

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z50/bus-yed/P1000705.jpg

had a horrible few weeks just gutted

garry88lwb
25-08-08, 15:36
Im just gessing but id say you water pumps leaking did you have a new on on u cambelt change as the lower cover bolted thought the water pump!! garry

TDI Dave
25-08-08, 15:46
Yep had a new pump fitted with the cambelt change 3 month back ish might be less ?

is there a pipe or something behind there?

I have had perfect running temp no coolant loss whatsoever even been to belgium to collect a caravan last week and its drove perfect

it went suddenly and emptyed the coolant within 3 minutes of the light coming on

when i looked underneath it was all over the alternator belt and gushing out (like emptying a pint glass ) from the crank pulley area so i turned the motor off and got a recovery truck to take it home upon which broke my power steering banjo pipe off on the "spoons" that lift your car

I feel like going to hit the t4 with a large hammer then going for a long walk to calm down a bit

garry88lwb
25-08-08, 15:57
Yeah i think there a big black pipe coming out of the back of the water pump. If it is it will have a round seal that could have split. I now most of the cars have this set up not sure about the van without looking. does it look like it coming from the back of the pump or front? or is it coming from the between the belt covers?

Garry

TDI Dave
25-08-08, 16:01
Yeah i think there a big black pipe coming out of the back of the water pump. If it is it will have a round seal that could have split. I now most of the cars have this set up not sure about the van without looking. does it look like it coming from the back of the pump or front? or is it coming from the between the belt covers?

Garry

dunno ,i might try bending the cover over and peer in with a torch for a better idea

soon as its fixed i feel like selling the thing and buy a vito thats how gutted i feel :(

garry88lwb
25-08-08, 16:07
If you take off the pipe between the air filter housing and inlet you can just squees the top cover off and you can see the water pump. ill pop out to the van a see water the back of the pump looks like. you dont want a veto there worse lol garry

garry88lwb
25-08-08, 16:14
Cant see a pipe so it straght in the engine i think. Praps take it back to where you had the cambelt done. If they used genuine parts you have two year warrenty on the pump. unless something come lose. there also the coolant housing close to that area with the temp sender there can crack. And the thermote houseing under neather that right next the crank pully. garry

steve73
25-08-08, 16:16
sounds like your bottom pipe to me, its a big one so will drop the water quickly, i'm off to get a new one this week:(

steve73
25-08-08, 16:17
pipe will be dead easy to replace, you'll need to drop the under tray down and there it isT:T:

TDI Dave
25-08-08, 16:53
Ive checked the pipes m8 its deffo from inside the cam cover somewhere ,my undertray is up the garden buried with plants ,couldnt see the point in refitting it as it seems to have to come off more than its on hehehe

i hate my car !

steve padda
25-08-08, 17:20
Hi Mate
Have followed your previous threads regarding the cam belt issues etc, feel gutted for you you seem to have the same kind of luck as I do.
Can hopefully only get better.

steve
T:

malla1962
25-08-08, 17:31
I asume its the 2.5 engine and if so I am sure the pump just goes in the engine and there are no pipes to it, It could be a dodgy pump or seal, is it a genuine pump?

colese
25-08-08, 17:48
dunno ,i might try bending the cover over and peer in with a torch for a better idea

soon as its fixed i feel like selling the thing and buy a vito thats how gutted i feel :(

gutted for you mate,always happens at the same time.:(.But buying a vito,now that just silly talk.H:.Got a few probs with mine at the min,know how you feel.:ILU:.Just get her sorted for the hols and vanfest and your faith might be repaired.

TDI Dave
25-08-08, 17:56
So is it worth me stripping it down a bit to see the problem as i dont want to return it to said garage just in case they say its something else so end up shelling anothe few hundred pounds out?

so in the cam cover is a water pump i know that much
is there anything else water based? behind there

then ill tackly the power steering pump pipe the recovery truck damaged ,the road outside my house is covered in the damn stuff ! ive put some dirt on it cus its slippy as hell

TDI Dave
25-08-08, 17:58
OOps forgot to say the vito talk was just crazy nothing can get bad enuff to buy one of those nails !

colese
25-08-08, 18:06
phew,thought you were losing it mate.LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

TDI Dave
25-08-08, 18:16
Im off outside armed with my camera to take a look to see if its the pump or not !

scared to start it with zero water in but :c it ive gotta too damn heavy to push ! H:

Dazboi
25-08-08, 18:17
do not lose faith my son, it will all come good in the end, patience

steve padda
25-08-08, 18:39
Makes you wonder if the pump was indeed changed as you did not get a good service with your belts from that garage did you.
If it is the pump I would be back down to that garage in double quick time and the owner/manager would be wearing the pump some where the sun dose not shine.

TDI Dave
25-08-08, 19:43
Ok ive just stripped it and i have found a serious problem i actualy feel sick ,i have only my holiday money to put this right
Im in my overdraft and literaly feel ill

spot the problem ?

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z50/bus-yed/P1000710.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z50/bus-yed/P1000712.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z50/bus-yed/P1000716.jpg

it was done 4 months ago by a place that use only vw parts and specialize in audi/skoda/vw and are not cheap !

btw ive done 2579 miles since it was all fitted :(

what is wrong ,what can i do next i dont want these idiots to touch my bus at all

does that pump look like it was changed and if not how do i proove it ?

BANANAVAN
25-08-08, 19:53
not your month is it dave!

I cannot see how they can get out of this.

If they are saying they changed it then they will have a recipt from them for the waterpump and if its a gen part
take it to VW for them to replace .

If they havn't then get yer moneys back.

I really cannot see how they can get out of this .

TDI Dave
25-08-08, 20:03
not your month is it dave!

I cannot see how they can get out of this.

If they are saying they changed it then they will have a recipt from them for the waterpump and if its a gen part
take it to VW for them to replace .

If they havn't then get yer moneys back.

I really cannot see how they can get out of this .

i dont know what to do first ,i have the bill /receipt stating belt tensioners water pump with the milage at that time etc.....

How do i prove it should i get it all re-done at the main dealers and get the old parts and a report >? or get vw rescue the garage in question to sort it out? id rather them not touch it :confused:

Why the hell is the belt half off the waterpump and its actually rubbing on the metal casing ,i need to get my facts exactly right to have an argument with these people

BANANAVAN
25-08-08, 20:12
i think you need to get the recipt that they got from Vw I cannot see any reson for them not to give you it as you have alredy paid for it.

Did you get anywhere with the credit card company? or was that jurasick? I know you both used the same garage/

Jurasik
25-08-08, 21:20
After looking at this, I am now worried about my van. :eek: I really feel for you Dave. That is just shocking. The credit card company thing was me. I would follow Bananaman's advice. Get them to prove they changed the pump. If they did, then I would take it to VW themselves & get the other `garage' to pay for it. After that, I wouldn't trust them to do it. If they didn't then I would think that you would have a case to have them pay for the repair anyway, as you paid them to change it.

TDI Dave
25-08-08, 22:08
I payed for the whole job so if they didnt change the pump did they change the tensioners etc.....

i wont be happy till i have a 522 pounds refund end of

i also want them to tell my kids why their week holiday has to be cancelled

i might just buy all the stuff inc tools in the morning and do it myself ! using the forum cambelt threds buy that guy cavemud (i think)

pure t4
25-08-08, 22:33
you should not have to pay for this again they should redo it for nothing if it is a gen part then they take it up with vw . tell them you want it done tomorrow as you go away wed and as it is there workmanship or parts they have supplied not being fit for job you will be claiming comp for loss of money for holls. got to be worth a try you have the receipt saying they had done it . sounds like your having as much luck as me feel for you im hoping my probs dont turn out expensive

T4 VIRGIN,
25-08-08, 22:53
Why the hell is the belt half off the waterpump and its actually rubbing on the metal casing ,[/QUOTE]

dave look on the bright side if there is one-if the pump which doesnt look like it has been replaced hadnt leaked-then you wouldnt have noticed the belt wearing through as its been incorrectly fitted,it could have snapped causing terminal damage

you could get a garage or better still a garage that is actually called a motor engineers to check it over-you may have to pay an hours labour,get a written report stating what the problem is-what has and hasnt been replaced and show it to the garage,if you get no luck go to trading standards,even small claims court??

i feel for you im getting my belt and pump done this week-by someone i know,and i will be there when its getting done that way i know its done

jets
26-08-08, 01:29
Have you tried filling with water & watching where it comes out. If it doesn't then start the engine. There is a large seal between the pump & the block, maybe the pump wasn't installed correctly. If the leak is behind the sprocket then the mechanical seal is leaking.
Another thought is if it is the old pump the bearings maybe gone allowing the shaft to lean causing the belt to track wrong. The seal can't/won't work with the shaft at an angle.
You could release the tension on the belt, or get someone to do it & feel for play in the pump shaft. If there is play it's a fair bet that it wasn't changed. Did your bill list new coolant?

TDI Dave
26-08-08, 09:10
Have you tried filling with water & watching where it comes out. If it doesn't then start the engine. There is a large seal between the pump & the block, maybe the pump wasn't installed correctly. If the leak is behind the sprocket then the mechanical seal is leaking.
Another thought is if it is the old pump the bearings maybe gone allowing the shaft to lean causing the belt to track wrong. The seal can't/won't work with the shaft at an angle.
You could release the tension on the belt, or get someone to do it & feel for play in the pump shaft. If there is play it's a fair bet that it wasn't changed. Did your bill list new coolant?

Yep new coolant pump etc...

im going to remove the pump today

SandMonster
26-08-08, 09:25
If you want refund etc. then you will have to take it back to the place that did the work & give them a chance to sort things - I understand that you don't want them anywhere near your van - but legally if you end up suing or whatever they can just argue they didn't have a chance to fix it.

You may want to take it to an independent motor engineer or get the AA or someone to look at it first to get evidence for any future arguments.

There is a slim possibility that the garage are not cowboys & just cocked up - it happens. Have you phoned then to see what their attitude is?

As for your power steering - if the recovery truck broke it then they should pay to fix it.

steve73
26-08-08, 09:32
yes, as above. don't go stripping things until they have had it back as it is, or they will try and blame anybody to get out of it, this is from experience:(:(

TDI Dave
26-08-08, 09:40
on the phone to them in 2 mins ,im gonna get their veiw of the situation because it does look like an old pump but it maywell be just dirty update in a while

Kleftiwallah
26-08-08, 09:43
Good morning Dave,
nothing more to add to the answers the chaps have offered, but don't forget, there is quite a bit of pressure in the cooling system which would force out the coolant as the leak is at the bottom.

Could you tell me what the tube is on the left hand side of your roof? I presume it is a pull out awning just the thing we are looking for while having a quick brake rather than rig the drive away awning. Cheers and sorry to hear about your woes, Tony.

TDI Dave
26-08-08, 10:03
Good morning Dave,
nothing more to add to the answers the chaps have offered, but don't forget, there is quite a bit of pressure in the cooling system which would force out the coolant as the leak is at the bottom.

Could you tell me what the tube is on the left hand side of your roof? I presume it is a pull out awning just the thing we are looking for while having a quick brake rather than rig the drive away awning. Cheers and sorry to hear about your woes, Tony.

Yeah its a 2.5 m fiamma thing wind out one in hard case 285 and is great in hot summer sun to keep your van cool ,i purchased the t4 (drill into the body) bracketry which was super easy to fit (you dont need the tool just pm me ill explain) youll need a tie down kit(10) for windy days :ILU:

Back to my phonecall i am shocked to say the least

they guy said it was very unusual for a pump to go so quickly ,from his records he said it is a new pump belt etc ,and he will put it right with a new pump and a new belt ,and has told me to get it to him asap ,so green flag will be here within an hour to take it there ,
he also said he will fix the power steering problem as a seperate job and i can claim from green flag :ILU:

BANANAVAN
26-08-08, 10:33
So hes saying that it IS a new pump?

Gen vw? then id just take it to a VW VAN center and let them sort it Just get the recipt off him for the pump.

I smell a rat though.

team french
26-08-08, 11:07
I smell a rat though.

a positive response from them but as above, id ask to watch them do the work as you have lost all trust in them(the tech would love thatLOL:) or if they say that the "new pump" is at fault id want another garage to do the work(at the first garages expense) or at least for a second opinon on weather the work has been done correctly with the new parts you paid for.

do i sound a tad paranoid btw:confused:

TDI Dave
26-08-08, 13:53
Well guys ive had another recovery truck take the van back to the garage as they dont have a recovery truck of their own

He said the mechanics are too busy to look at the leak whilst i was there ,they insist its a new pump but not a vw pump as they say the vw pump is inferior due to plastic impellers

they fit another type of pump which is also german made and have never had one back under warenty

ive told them its 100% the pump as you can actualy watch the water dribbling out of the shaft on the pump itself

ive also stated that if there is another cause i do not want them to fix it i will take it to a dealer

i have left my bus with them and they said its all under warenty IF its anything to do with the pump /belts tensioners etc...
He also (maneger) has said if its just loosened the power steering joint he will top up with fluid and new copper washers free of charge

only time will tell now guys:(

TDI Dave
26-08-08, 15:32
Half four approaching and no news as yet :gl:gl:gl:gl:gl:gl

malla1962
26-08-08, 17:05
VW pumps are c bit crappy, I work in a large body shop and we got a golf GTI in for repair
not a very hard bump but it did damage the rad, sorted the car run it up and it was getting very hot so the insurance told us to do the head gasket, ang guess what? it was just the same
so we removed the pump and the plastic impelor was just free to spin without the pully moving.:D

mad ferret
26-08-08, 18:28
The coolant pump I've just bought (genuine VW) has a metal impeller.

TDI Dave
26-08-08, 20:33
The coolant pump I've just bought (genuine VW) has a metal impeller.

Sounds like they may have changed them then :eek:

Update No Van ,No Phonecall .................................................. ...dunno if thats good/bad tbh

Wavestarved
26-08-08, 20:47
Any news yet?
In my opinion (which often conflicts with everyone else's), the positive response from the garage is encouraging and I would give em the benefit of the doubt. I would however be checking under the cambelt cover as soon as it was home and asking to see the replaced parts and bills for the new bits.

malla1962
26-08-08, 20:50
The coolant pump I've just bought (genuine VW) has a metal impeller.Is it for the 2.5tdi? if so they have changed them and if its the case I will get a genuine one next week when I do mine. what was the cost?

steve73
26-08-08, 21:07
i put a gen vw in mine, was 25 plus vat, not worth scrimping when they are that cheap;)

malla1962
26-08-08, 21:14
Now that is cheap, I was quoted 40 for a third party pump.

Jurasik
27-08-08, 09:06
Any news Dave?

TDI Dave
27-08-08, 12:19
OK guys ive been pacing up and down the house (on holiday !) i even mowed the jungle !

IVE HAD THE PHONE CALL

I am very pleased with the out come there is good news and bad news and very good news

Goon news id the pump had completely collapsed with the camcover only keeping the belt on with next to no tension on it !
and they have replaced the lot and my bus is running once more

the bad news the recovery company as you know hit the pump
they cannot stem the leak completely but its not gushing out but it is a noticable leak they havent got any new parts to fix this in stock atm ,they have tightned the banjo bolt and refilled with fluid for free

The very good news is they have changed my diesel pump belt and tensioners set the timing on vag com aswell

But the best bit is im on my way (when my lift arrives) to collect it :ILU:

Guess the bill !!!!!! well i cant make you all wait so................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........................................

All in = FREE OF CHARGE AND AN APPOLOGY FOR THE INCONVEINIENCE

so i think its time for me to appologise to vw rescue for slagging them off I::no,moral is they have the pump to show me so just cus its dirty didnt mean it wasnt new i shouldnt jump to conclusions

Jurasik
27-08-08, 12:24
Glad you have got a positive outcome on this. T:

t4ste
27-08-08, 12:26
NIce one dave good to see a happy outcome.

Does this mean your holiday with the kids is back on T:

Cheers
Steve

itsaminibus
27-08-08, 12:58
always good to hear happy endings.... good one Dave T:

TDI Dave
27-08-08, 13:50
just picked it up ,the mech spent 15 mins with showing the squeaking is from aux belt he sprayed it with some cleaner and it ticked over silently ,he test drove it this morning on a long drive cus i am going on holiday with it to make sure its ok he said he couldnt beleive how well it drives /pulls with its mileage .
The pump bolt on the steering is still leaking a bit so im off to vw van center now only 5 miles away to get new copper washers and new bolt aswell :ILU:

Heading off to wales in the morning dunno where yet bit of an adventure now :ILU:

SandMonster
27-08-08, 18:00
Gald you're all sorted!
I guess you have to see it from the garage's POV too, I bet they are cursing as they have now lost several hours labour + parts due to no fault of their own. Hope they can claim it back from their supplier.

& hope I don't get one of those duff water pumps (I'm just about to get mine done:gl)

jeffscarborough
27-08-08, 18:25
Hi,
I have just read through your tale of woe, bad luck.

Looking at your pictures, that waterpump hasn't been changed. Mine was changed 4000 miles ago and still looks shiney and new (gen VW).

Still looks like you are sorted now. Chill out and have a good holiday. T:

snigvan
27-08-08, 19:22
Like a good old Mills & Boon sob story:( but where the hero comes good in the end:D
I've got tear in my eyes & palpatations with all the tension.

If you are heading for Wales there is a lovely crowd of folk camping near Abersoch through to the weekend. Not sure of the campsite but an Ex AA T4 wil be there from some time on Thursday. I'll be down Friday late. Lots of kids young & old around & a few Teens (polite ones) as its a burthday bash.

I'll have a cool beer waiting for you to help with the unwindin':cheers

Glad all got sorted:D

TDI Dave
27-08-08, 19:53
Well ive drove it round today all seems well ,vw didnt have anything in stock regards two copper washers and a nut ,but no supprise there huh

Starts perfect now first crack of the key

little water leak on a temp sensor inline on a rubber pipe all i could find ,ill do that another day :ILU:

mills n boon LOL:

bravocorsa
27-08-08, 20:05
well done dave have a good hol!!:)

steve padda
27-08-08, 21:34
Nice to hear they sorted this out FOC, still not a sure about the service they carried out originally. (pump belt etc)
Have a good break T:
steve

Jim Doodle
27-08-08, 22:05
I love a story with a happy ending!:)

paulweld
04-09-08, 13:20
just a thought if you had this work done recently by a garage will it not be covered by a warranty ? does sound like its the waterpump if you cant find leak on the pipes and its coming fron behind the cover ! hope you get it sorted

paulweld
04-09-08, 13:25
opps came in on the wrong part of this thread then !! but glad you got it sorted mate !