Air Mass Meter - exchange ... [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Air Mass Meter - exchange ...

Jimbo
27-08-08, 13:55
Just had a good read again of Snoops tech write up on the Air Mass Meter, I have had the same one in my T4 for 6 years now (2 years with a K&N) I cleaned it last night using Carb Cleaner spray, refit - no difference, unplugged the unit - still no difference in the drive.

Now if I read the article right, when unplugged, it puts the engine to a safe power where no damage can be done - so by unplugging mine and it making no difference, is it safe to assume it needs changing ?

I just phoned GSF, they got one in £56+VAT but its exchange unit Hmmm, so guess unless I do it not going to know ...

Anyone else been in this situ ???

Cheers

Jimbo

Turlough
27-08-08, 15:07
my experience of them Jim...........buy genuine VAG

Had TDi Golfs and went through non genuine like theres no tomorrow, problem with GSF is once your out the door with it they had no warrenty, i fought with them over a unit that lasted 1 week !

you get what ya pays for........

paul ss
27-08-08, 16:55
if the vans running fine as always mayb thers nothing wrong with it but genrealy they will try stall when you unplug them as computer aint getting a signal from the air flow meter .

maybe if you got someone local and just swap them round for 10mins see if it makes any diffrence as you could be just wasting your money buying one if it aint the problem .

will be getting rid of my afm as there nothing but a pain in the on any car i have got a freind who is a auto sparky and we are working on the computer to try get rid of it all together , just like the motec ecu and e-manage dont need them , will probley go with megasquirt ecu if cant get the stock one to register without it T:

HECKY
27-08-08, 21:37
unplugged mine tonight and when driving its like there was no boost from the turbo so i assume mine is working well when plugged in? :confused:

BANANAVAN
27-08-08, 21:40
Buy cheap ( as in e!) buy twice!

The gen Vw's are about the same price give or take a few quid? 2 year warranty too!!!!.

phil5556
28-08-08, 00:51
I got a Bosch one from SC Factors. Did the trick but was a gamble as I didn't know if that was the problem.

Still got the old one under my desk at work..... oops, it was in March!

Jimbo
28-08-08, 18:09
Cheers Guys - Your absolutely right, ya only get what ya pay for in life, phoned VW and its £66 plus the dreaded ... plus £20 until its exchanged

This could be a bonus for me as I donít know if mines knackered or not yet :D

If it still doesn't make a difference, then I got me a spare, if it does, then £20 back to the funds eh T:

Picking it up tomorrow, fit this weekend

Cheers

Jimbo

paulweld
28-08-08, 23:17
Hi mate i have a tdi 2.5 and my air mass meter packed up it does go into safe mode runs on about half power ! no problems with g s f its about £ 60 .00 exchange and it comes with 12mths warranty and is vag !! and you dont get hassel with them if theres are problem in my expriance anyway and just replaced mine two weeks approxs T:

BANANAVAN
29-08-08, 08:04
no problems with g s f its about £ 60 .00 exchange and it comes with 12mths warranty and is vag !! T:

If its GEN VAG then it should have 2 years ( 24 Months) warranty :eek:

Jimbo
29-08-08, 22:15
Hmmm, well got one this arvo - pucker VW one, little dissapointed with the increase, but it is an increase at the end of the day and every little helps eh T:

paulweld
30-08-08, 07:19
hey bananavan thats interesting 24mths warranty its bosch ( vag ) but maybe because it came from gsf i only get 12 mths or do bosch carry the warranty i will ask gsf about that one ! cheersT:

steve73
31-08-08, 21:25
Now if I read the article right, when unplugged, it puts the engine to a safe power where no damage can be done - so by unplugging mine and it making no difference, is it safe to assume it needs changing ?

Anyone else been in this situ ???

Cheers

Jimbo

This is my dilema, unplugged it and nothing changed, just tried unplugging my mate's 88hp and no difference either:confused::confused:

Are they both knackered:eek:

BANANAVAN
31-08-08, 21:32
This is my dilema, unplugged it and nothing changed, just tried unplugging my mate's 88hp and no difference either:confused::confused:

Are they both knackered:eek:

id say yup ! its knacked!

steve73
02-09-08, 13:04
weird, had it plugged in to vagcom and no faults showing, would a faulty MAF not show up on vagcom as a fault ? :confused:

pure t4
02-09-08, 13:45
my local vw independent said it wont show as a direct code but the other figures will tell if it not working apparently. i just changed mine cos of zero power like no turbo and it made no diff also unplugin it made no diff but last night jumped in it to go to the shop (it was raining ) and it went like a rocket like it has only done once before since i got it. H:H:H:H:A:A:A: should see my face now as its still going well today... go figure that one