Making it more comfortable [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Making it more comfortable

Phantom
02-09-08, 20:22
Hello all. I've got some plans for my T4 and have already done some things to it, but I want to know if anyone has any tips (preferably low cost) to make the van easier to live with and more comfortable to drive.

I'm expecting my first child in November and will use it as the family car, I need it to tow my boat, but I also have to have a vehicle that is 'in keeping with my position' within the company (Director).

So far, I've put two back seats in, plus middle windows (tinted), gearstick extension and better speakers. My plans (eventually) are to put 18" RS8's, lower by 50mm and put body-coloured bumpers on.

My question is on things like carpets, heating in the back, cooling for the summer, reduce the road/engine noise, etc, and also make it look less like a builders van (no offence to builders).

Any thoughts?

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong section to put this in, I didn't know which area would be best.

Gravitysucks
03-09-08, 08:47
"but I also have to have a vehicle that is 'in keeping with my position' within the company (Director)"

Skull Gear knob and flames down the sides of the van maybe I:

Rustybus
03-09-08, 09:02
but I also have to have a vehicle that is 'in keeping with my position' within the company (Director).

And in keeping with the area you live in H.O.T. :D I know, I grew up there I:

surfdaddy
03-09-08, 09:15
Hello all. I've got some plans for my T4 and have already done some things to it, but I want to know if anyone has any tips (preferably low cost) to make the van easier to live with and more comfortable to drive.

I'm expecting my first child in November and will use it as the family car, I need it to tow my boat, but I also have to have a vehicle that is 'in keeping with my position' within the company (Director).

So far, I've put two back seats in, plus middle windows (tinted), gearstick extension and better speakers. My plans (eventually) are to put 18" RS8's, lower by 50mm and put body-coloured bumpers on.

My question is on things like carpets, heating in the back, cooling for the summer, reduce the road/engine noise, etc, and also make it look less like a builders van (no offence to builders).

Any thoughts?

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong section to put this in, I didn't know which area would be best.

Sorry to state the obvious but rather than builing your own Caravelle....why don't you just buy one? (nice 'Business' spec versions often come up on German ebay to reflect your mighty job description status too.....maybe you could remove the engine and get yer minions to pull it around tooH:T:).

the floating man
03-09-08, 10:02
And in keeping with the area you live in H.O.T. :D I know, I grew up there I:

Big shout out to the Henley massive then! I grew up there as well. I am also currently living there for a bit at the moment. Any more out there?:ILU:

Phantom
03-09-08, 12:25
I knew when I posted that I was open to ridicule, so I expected no less! At least the abuse made me laugh.

I love the van, I love the versatility of it and I do want to keep it (having spent a fair amount of cash on it already). I don't want a caravelle as I don't want the stuff in the back to be visible (all back windows are tinted), and I prefer the look of the van.

Unfortunately, European health and safety regulations forbid me from using my hordes of minions as cheap propulsion.

I guess the main issue is just comfort for day-to-day usage - any tips (of the serious nature)?

StinkBomber
03-09-08, 18:48
Phantom, Mr Foating Man...
Get yourselves down the Ace Cafe meets on the 16th & 20th of this month & keep an eye on the Berkshire Meeting thread. Hoping to get a venue sorted soon! :D

jar
03-09-08, 19:07
I went for the velle Rear windows are now pretty black, (you cannot see in) but if you want to make the van more civilised, then a styleline kit is the best option.

We are just down the road in Bracknell, AKA "The armpit of Berkshire" (it smells a bit and most people don't want to go there too often...)

Lets hope a berkshire meet is on the cards sometime. There seems to be a few of us around.

John R

surfdaddy
03-09-08, 21:18
You can tint a Caravelle window just as easily as a Transorter window can't you? If a Velle is too much the otherway, a Multivan might be an otion as you can remove the rear seat in couple seconds to make back into a van.....you also have the proper seatbelt thing which you can't ever get in a Transorter as they do not have rear seatbelt supports in the C pillars or rear roof rib like a Velle or a Multi.....a much bigger concerne than mere comfort when transorting kids is concerned of course (you can't fit any baby seat safely to a front double either....not that you'd want a baby that close to the front impact zone). The Velles and Multis even have Isofix seats too. One option to Velle up the Transorter would be to have a T5 Shuttle seat rofesionally installed in the back (or even a T5 Multivan seat if you can find oneI:) as these are comfortable and have built in seatblets which answeres the safety issue too. I have seen people line out Tranporters with Caravelle panels but hard to make it look convincing. Reimo do a superb T4 lining and insulation kit complete with storage cubbys etc that looks factory you can get them through the Reimo catalog or via their website. There's also a guy who comes to Vanfest every year who specializes in custom made rear carpets and CMC do a nice cab carpet and you can even retro fit cruise control. And forget the gear stick extension.....I've got a handbrake extension on mine. Looks weired and bloody expensive (all machined ally based on the design or a Spitfire joystick no less) and feels funny to use at first but brill accessory and saves jer shoulder reaching down to the floor all the time. Other than all that....get some Captains seats.....or should it be Directors chair. Or just install that massive leather power chair you got in yer uneccissarily large office that you doubless sit on behind your 12 foot wide desk hewn from a single block of rose granite.......go on, bet you got one of them chairs ain't you (with buttons in the arm for opening trap doors under the seats ot misbehving henchmen at board meetings etc...oh no, emplyers can't do that either anymore can they....damn EU rules).

Oh and you did ask for that other stuff a bit.....bosss man!T:T:T:;)