Anyone got an Auto T4 they not had a problem with? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Anyone got an Auto T4 they not had a problem with?

T4 Tom
15-09-08, 22:32
Toying with the idea of getting another van, couple I've seen I like and can afford but have been auto.

I used to think my ideal T4 would be a 102BHP 2.5TDI Auto, LWB Velle.

I personally love auto's if the engine has the power and smoothness to go with it which i reckon a 2.5 102 does.

But, I've read a lot of bad stuff about the auto boxes in the T4's on here which is starting to make me question my previous theory that it's down to lack of maintenance e.g. gear oil changes and in fact the boxes are just ****.

Would really love an auto but don't wanna end up with something thats gonna have to have spent either fixing or being converted to manual.

So don't tell me your horror stories i already heard those, has anyone got something good to say about the auto boxes in T4s?

Cheers,

Tom

Telviking
16-09-08, 06:31
My 2.5 Petrol Auto Van's done 137k and I've had it almost 2 years with no problems other than an oil leak, and from the Service book there is no mention of ever having a replacement Auto Box!

Touch wood, Fingers crossed etc:)

TDI Dave
16-09-08, 20:51
my velle did 160k with a employed driver 10k every 3 months ! round london comuting old folks for the health service
New box due to never having the oil changed ! and all is well
you can buy mine hehe 2002 i feel like a ex aa to play with
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z50/bus-yed/Vanfest2008232.jpg

T4 Tom
16-09-08, 23:35
my velle did 160k with a employed driver 10k every 3 months ! round london comuting old folks for the health service
New box due to never having the oil changed ! and all is well
you can buy mine hehe 2002 i feel like a ex aa to play with
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z50/bus-yed/Vanfest2008232.jpg

PM me a price lol, i'm sure it will be at least double what I got though LOL:

go-ferret
17-09-08, 08:29
My 2.5 petrol autovelle has 150k and is on a second box (from a diesel 2.5) but since i've owned it, never an issue has arisen.
Love it............ :D

paulweld
17-09-08, 23:28
Hi go- ferret this is halfway for you about the t4 auo-box its been taking out of a car vw golf etc and fitted to the t4 vans !! not designed for vans with all the extra weight !! ok so they do fail !! ( this guys is from a trusted auto- rebuilder who as just done my gearbox who i trust and as a good name ! ) and he says average life of this box is about 50k but he as also told me that 100k from owners he as known and more ! its not a box that was made for vans and thats the problem !! but if you drive it decent dont hammer the out of it then i think it will be fine for a good number of years ! ( plus get the fluid changed /filters etc ) i have not owned for long but its brill to drive and yes it is the 2.5 tdi auto 02 bus ! but it doesnt liked beening floored through the gears but it does fly when you want it to ! ( in 3rd and top ) hope this input helps T: