What glue/bonding for side windows? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

What glue/bonding for side windows?

J-T5
23-09-08, 18:26
Hi all, I will be bonding my side windows soon and need to know what bonding/glue to use?

I've seen a few advertised here and there but am worried about getting the wrong stuff as I've heard that some of the stuff thats is advertised for windows is a loads of rubbish:confused:

What about Sikaflex? I've used this to bond car body panels on before and its worked well.

Thanks

Jay

Big Bad Bear
23-09-08, 18:34
check out vansports website they sell the correct stuff

greyfox
23-09-08, 19:51
i was only charged 30 from a local winscreen fitter to fit both sides. it was money well spent. might be worth getting a few quotes.....

Phoenixsp1
23-09-08, 20:53
Hi all, I will be bonding my side windows soon and need to know what bonding/glue to use?

I've seen a few advertised here and there but am worried about getting the wrong stuff as I've heard that some of the stuff thats is advertised for windows is a loads of rubbish:confused:

What about Sikaflex? I've used this to bond car body panels on before and its worked well.

Thanks

Jay

Its made my sika and called Sikatak drive. I buy it from Linco components in Melton Mowbrey, costs about 20 delivered for activator and adhesive with a precut nozzle in the correct shape.

cally
23-09-08, 21:03
i know people tried bonding windows, they popped out on loads.....especially the sliding door... any window place will bond them for you... i paid 30 quid for both sides....

J-T5
23-09-08, 21:12
:DThats what I didn't want to happen^^^^^^^^

Was looking for somewhere to buy SikaTak Drive but couldn't find it, thanks for the info.
Have found somewhere that sells Vansports adhesive cheaper than they do if anyone needs some

http://www.waysideadhesives.com/Adhesive--6_list.php

Any ideas how many tubes I'd need for 4 side windows?

Jay

firstglass
23-09-08, 21:32
I dont sell it, or post, but if you come down to Bournemouth i will give you some drivetak

justina3
24-09-08, 08:29
i use a local brown brothers motor factors for mine, not cheap but never had a problem yet, touches as much wood as i can find I:

rjm
24-09-08, 08:43
How much do you need?

We used some from a friendly window fitter and he supplied Dow Automotive PUR Adhesive Sealant.

Might be able to sort you some out, but beware the proper stuff aint cheap.

You will also need a special applicator and nozzle.

Phoenixsp1
24-09-08, 11:32
:DThats what I didn't want to happen^^^^^^^^

Was looking for somewhere to buy SikaTak Drive but couldn't find it, thanks for the info.
Have found somewhere that sells Vansports adhesive cheaper than they do if anyone needs some

http://www.waysideadhesives.com/Adhesive--6_list.php

Any ideas how many tubes I'd need for 4 side windows?

Jay

One tube easily does 2 windows.

durrsaku
24-09-08, 14:31
i was only charged 30 from a local winscreen fitter to fit both sides. it was money well spent. might be worth getting a few quotes.....

:eek: i paid 120 for mine,

rjm
24-09-08, 14:57
Its not just the bonding but the primer required to do the proper job.

The frame also needs to be alcohol wiped prior to the primer.

So all in all it mounts up, so if you can find a friendly windscreen fitter, then they have all the equipment and their prices are very keen for a bit of wongga in the back pocket if you see what I mean.

Phoenixsp1
24-09-08, 16:37
Its not just the bonding but the primer required to do the proper job.

The frame also needs to be alcohol wiped prior to the primer.

So all in all it mounts up, so if you can find a friendly windscreen fitter, then they have all the equipment and their prices are very keen for a bit of wongga in the back pocket if you see what I mean.

For 20 at linco you get the Sikatak and activator which you clean the window and frame with prior to fitting.

I'm guessing that the price you mention of 30 is just to bond the window, not to cut it out, dress back and bond the inner and outer skins together?

firstglass
24-09-08, 21:13
Whats linco?

J-T5
24-09-08, 22:20
Thanks for the info and offers of help guys:ILU:

I'm not planning to do it for a while so will look at getting some nearer the time, I used to fit windows when I worked as a panel beater for Vauxhall, used to do all sorts, but we used the proper OE Vauxhall gear that came in 2 pack with a motorised applicator gun, **** hot stuff but useless without the gun.

Thanks

Jay

PS I think Linco is an automotive retailer that sells stuff like window adhesive, I couldn't find a website for them but their phone number is all over google if you type in LINCO

firstglass
25-09-08, 21:38
ohhhh thanks