Transporter Identification [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Transporter Identification

Paul Martin
27-09-08, 07:52
Hi there,

I hope I'm posting this in the right section...

I have recently bought a T4 Transporter 2.5TDI it's a long wheelbase version and has windows all round. This would lead me to believe that the van I've bought is a caravelle but I think my van has some subtle differences to the caravelle.

The rear windows nearest the tailgate section do not have vents in them like I've seen in caravelle pictures and the rear badge on the vehicle doesn't have a caravelle badge but a Transporter TDI badge.

I'm pretty certain that my version is a short nose (if that makes any difference?) and would really appreciate help in identifying it.

The reason I need to know if I have a caravelle or not is because I'm looking to adjust the ride height and I've read that the caravelle sits about 35mm lower than the Transporter van so I want to ensure that I am going to be buying the correct setup for my vehicle.

The vehicle has a tailgate rather than rear doors and it looks like it's been factory fitted with seats in the rear of the vehicle if this also helps in identification?

I've posted some pictures of the vehicle below from it's original ebay advert:

http://i6.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/0c/1a/9467_1.JPG
http://i21.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/0c/1a/a386_1.JPG
http://i4.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/0c/1a/b27b_1.JPG

Many thanks for your anticipated help and cooperation,

Paul

team french
27-09-08, 08:15
got any of the inside?

rjm
27-09-08, 08:18
Looks like a long wheel base to me.

There is about 400 mm difference between lwb and swb.

Paul Martin
27-09-08, 08:25
Yes, it's a long wheelbase van, I thought I'd mentioned that in the description, if not, I apologise.

I'm more interested to know if it's a caravelle or not as the ride height differes and that's my problem currently.

Paul Martin
27-09-08, 08:26
got any of the inside?

Not currently but I will be taking some soon. Why do you ask?

stridey
27-09-08, 08:29
Yes it a short nose. And welcome to 'Team Twin Slider' (if your RHD!) .. I love twin sliders!

Its not a 'Caravelle' in the truest sense, ie it wasnt marketed with that model designation by VW, the clues (I think) are that it isnt a long nose and you dont have the rear vents you describe. It looks like a window van, or minibus designation. (trim levels less than a pukka Caravelle, but still a nice vehicle.)

People may describe your van as a 'Caravelle' in the generic sense, ie it sometimes gets used for any windowed T4. Sometimes its easier to describe your van as such, for ferries etc.

As for the springs, well most describe the drop from standard height. Ie NOT the lowered Caravelle height. But Id reckon yours hadnt been dropped already anyway. As your only replacing the rear springs I dont see how it might matter whether yours is dropped already? The front you just wind down. I have a 50mm drop Eibach springs and my van was a window van like yours, except SWB. The springs were described as 50mm and the did drop my van by 50mm...and mine looks like yours.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/mstride/myt4.jpg

team french
27-09-08, 08:39
Not currently but I will be taking some soon. Why do you ask?

the seats may be differant(mini bus seats will be more basic and harder wearing than caravelle seats) as said above the trim may be differant also, it all helpsT::D it also could be an aftermarket convertion, like mine, its ex mobility and would have started life as a standard pannel van as it was cheaper that a caravelle.

JIMMYJAMES
27-09-08, 08:58
I had the same issues when i got mine because i dont have any vents or blower fans at the rear. Mine had the blower under the floor prior to it being removed for the wheelchair ramp. Mine is definatly a Caravelle as the trim is factory fit and it has mushroom bolts in it; its just a very basic model.

A picture will solve it for sure.

golfgtioz
27-09-08, 08:59
i would say thats a minibus rather than a caravelle , it should say minibus on the log book . about the only difference between would be trim level . I'm guessing the seats in the back dont have arms rest ect

click on the following link to see a pdf of the caravelle sale brochure and check your trim

https://vwt4forum.co.uk/pdfs/T4_1.pdf

Dazboi
27-09-08, 09:00
drop me ur reg number and ill tell you

JIMMYJAMES
27-09-08, 09:08
Mine said minibus on the logbook but is a Caravelle......... I guess mine may have been changed with the dvla when it had the ramp fitted.

JIMMYJAMES
27-09-08, 09:09
i would say thats a minibus rather than a caravelle , it should say minibus on the log book . about the only difference between would be trim level . I'm guessing the seats in the back dont have arms rest ect

click on the following link to see a pdf of the caravelle sale brochure and check your trim

Thats quite a late brochure for the velle so it might not be on there.

Paul Martin
27-09-08, 09:54
Thanks for all he awsome help and replies so far guys.
My logbook says minibus as does the description on the Ebay advert.

The reg no is R174 GVW (it's in the pics so isn't a secret)

Armrests are not fitted in the rear seats. The rear seats are as follows:

Back row, a row of 3 seats with headrests all joined together that you are able to fold the backs down on and then pull a cord to further tilt forward the whole of the seat base mechanism. The seats that are located just behind the drivers and passenger seats are a one plus two configuration and are of a quick release style that can easily be removed from their mounts via a release mechanism on the seat frame as it locks onto some fixing pegs fixed to the floorpan.

I'm at work at present and don't have the opportunity to place up a picture of the interior but the seats are vinyl edges with a material centre in grey with coloured slashes of about an inch long in various diagonal angles (if my memory serves me correctly).

I also have a rear heater that blows out the floorpan just below the rear of the drivers seat via a black vent and this is controlled from a separate knob that is just above the controls to driver / passenger heater and fan controls.

Paul Martin
27-09-08, 09:58

Have viewed this brochure and it's certainly not the style of T4 that I own. For a start, the brochure shows what I believe to be long nose versions, the heater controls are different and the seat material paterns do not match.

Also forgot to mention, yes I have 2 sliding doors to the vehicle.

Dazboi
27-09-08, 10:00
Thanks for all he awsome help and replies so far guys.
My logbook says minibus as does the description on the Ebay advert.

The reg no is R174 GVW (it's in the pics so isn't a secret)

Armrests are not fitted in the rear seats. The rear seats are as follows:

Back row, a row of 3 seats with headrests all joined together that you are able to fold the backs down on and then pull a cord to further tilt forward the whole of the seat base mechanism. The seats that are located just behind the drivers and passenger seats are a one plus two configuration and are of a quick release style that can easily be removed from their mounts via a release mechanism on the seat frame as it locks onto some fixing pegs fixed to the floorpan.

I'm at work at present and don't have the opportunity to place up a picture of the interior but the seats are vinyl edges with a material centre in grey with coloured slashes of about an inch long in various diagonal angles (if my memory serves me correctly).

I also have a rear heater that blows out the floorpan just below the rear of the drivers seat via a black vent and this is controlled from a separate knob that is just above the controls to driver / passenger heater and fan controls.

got the chassis number, it doesnt come up on my vw system, will try factory computer

Paul Martin
27-09-08, 10:07
Sorry, I came to work in one of my other cars today so I don't have access to the chassis number or the log book. But i can however remember the log book listing the vehicle as a minibus.

PaulyB
27-09-08, 18:39
It is a Transporter window van not Caravelle. Window vans came with 'caravelle' seats, internal sides will probably be bare metal with grey hardboard inserts, unless an aftermarket converter has carpet lined it.

StephenTazz
01-10-08, 21:29
Does the Chassis Number start with WV1 - van...

or WV2 - Window Van (Kombi) / Caravelle

Think of the Kombi as a workman's Caravelle - most later Campers were built on striped out WV2 Kombi chassis' because of the rear has seat belt points (the vans didn't have them in the upper pillars or cantrails).

Being R reg it should be classed as PLG for tax purposes.

Mr Big
01-10-08, 22:38
Its listed by both DVLA and VW as a transporter built on 07/10/96. 1997MY. Has got the PR code 0J3 - increased payload though.

Oh btw your reg is GWV not GVW....couldnt work out why it was coming up as a Ford!!!

Paul Martin
02-10-08, 06:44
Thanks Mr Big. Can you please explain the increased payload and the PR code for me? Thanks, Paul.

Mr Big
02-10-08, 17:47
PR codes are VW option/build cars which are used to specify what equipment is fitted on the production line. 0J3 means increased payload. Will have a look to see what exactly that refers too. I would imagine its rear springs, could also be related to wheels bearings etc. Will see what I can find out.

Mr Big
02-10-08, 18:02
Ok PR-0J3 = 1200kg payload.

Different rear springs and front torsion bars, but wheel bearings etc are all the same.

Paul Martin
02-10-08, 19:06
Many thanks for the help.

t4_deano
02-10-08, 20:05
hi paul. that looks similar to mine, except mine doesnt have twin sliders, mine was converted by a company that i carnt remeber the name of right now but can find out, it comes up as a vw transporter shuttle on the insurance systems. and has also had all the differnt bits on the suspention ect. awsum vans though, 8 people and still enough room for 6 snowboards and everyones lugauge,

bigcat
02-10-08, 20:13
Dazboi ought to be able to get more history now if the right reg goes in the vw system T: