Caravelle vs Van [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Caravelle vs Van

Joe_Kay
28-09-08, 02:29
Firstly, a quick intro, I'm Joe, a frustrated surfer who has been land locked living in the US and some rather more nasty places for the last few years, but soon I will be coming back to the UK and I am planning my next van.

I have decided that I want a LWB tailgate 2.5 102bhp. These seem to be relatively rare in the van form and there do seem to be a lot more caravelles out there that fit this description.

So as I have only ever owned a van before, are there any advantages/disadvantages to doing a surf/day van conversion on a caravelle as opposed to a van in the same spec?

Either way, I can't wait to get back and make a start. Thanks in advance for the advice.

JK

mikey
28-09-08, 06:45
Welcome to the forum from a surfer who lives near the beaches, sorry..hope you get back soon and get a van. Caravelles will have windows in allready and other bits or you get a van and decide if you want windows. T:

colese
28-09-08, 07:21
welcome to the forum mate,bet you will be glad to be back,start thatvan and catch some waves.:ILU:

greencaravelleguy
28-09-08, 09:18
As a caravelle owner I would choose the Velle! They are said to be further soundproofed, wip out the seats they have just a couple of bolts or as in mine the front ones unclip, the windows are already in so time and money saved, sometimes you already get spin around captain seats, auxillary heater, electric windows, mirror, etc. I think there are also possible savings to be made as Velle is a PLG and not a commecial vehicle and insurance, ferry costs, bridge tolls and the like can be cheaper than a van. Demand is sometimes stronger for the 102 tailgate Transporter so hard to get. One thing in a van's favour (in my opinion) is that possibly they are lighter as less glass, interior trims, carpet etc.

All the best

a

stridey
28-09-08, 10:18
I have a window van, sometime sknown as a 'caravelle' though its actually a minibus version, converted by Devon into a 12(!) seater SWB ...

When looking for vans I didnt dismiss windowed vans and I'm glad I didnt.

so it already has windows all round but tinted they become as dark as a panel for security, but great for visibility from the inside.

Mine was being sold by somone who fostered kids and the council insisted he got a newer van....so I benefted at a cost of 950. Then sold seats at 100 a bench. I also sold the aux heater as its only good when moving as its taking heat from the water system. another 90....so I bought a propex heater for heat when parked.
and I reckon they can look good too!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/mstride/IMAG0024.jpg

Paul Martin
28-09-08, 10:32
My main reason for buying a van with windows in the rear was to allow natural light into the rear. I'd much rather have natural light to use than interior lighting via electric light.

jar
28-09-08, 10:42
I love my 'velle, but that doesnt stop you wanting to change it :D

I guess there are downsides and upsides to a velle, you tend to get better kit, with aircon. leccy windows and suchlike (especially if you have a later one) it is a little more civilised and quieter, but you have to figue out if you really want to start chopping it up.

My next planned change for mine is a reimo roof, but I have a load of blower vents in the roof, so that all has to come out, and it seems a shame.

Oh - and as it is a 7 seater (registered as a MPV) I can take it to the rubbish tip, a van is not allowed to go to the bracknell dump at the moment! although I did have to get a letter from the council as I kept getting told I couldnt take it in.

As you are (or will be) in Wokingham, keep your eye open in the regional meets area, a few people are trying to organise one locally.

John R

BattleBus
28-09-08, 10:50
I got a multivan and as above feels there are several advantages from a financial point of view ie better kitted as standard. It has pop on curtains so can be a 'van' if needed. Other thing to think about is a lot of camp sites only let you camp there in your t4 if it has windows!

Joe_Kay
28-09-08, 11:41
Guys,

Thanks for all the posts, some really great advice and from what I can see, nothing really too bad about getting a velle. I am going to strip the entire internals out and start from scratch so I'm not too bothered about the bolts in the floor etc. I may even re-route the back A/C if I do end up getting a velle.

When I get home in January I'll be splitting my time between Ipswich for work and Wokingham or the South West at the weekend so I'm looking forward to getting to some meets.

I'm actually in Afghanistan at the moment so don't have much to do for leisure other than van design... I'm so far tweaking the design for my ultimate surf van and I'm liking the idea of a velle for the twin doors, windows, A/C and full electrics, it would certainly cut down substantially on my build time.

So a further question for the velle is the air vent intake on the drivers side rear, where does that go to and is it going to be a big deal to pull the interior out of the back to start from scratch?

Thanks again for the input. T:

Joe_Kay
28-09-08, 11:50
Mine was being sold by somone who fostered kids and the council insisted he got a newer van....so I benefted at a cost of 950. Then sold seats at 100 a bench. I also sold the aux heater as its only good when moving as its taking heat from the water system. another 90....so I bought a propex heater for heat when parked.
and I reckon they can look good too!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/mstride/IMAG0024.jpg[/QUOTE]

Stridey, the van looks really great, I do like the propex heater, I snowboard too and my friends and I have spent a lot of time in the Alps living in vans so I'm familiar with them. I did quite like the idea of using the aux heater as I have had some nightmares in France trying to find propane on New Years day in a ski resort. The answer to that is to endure -25 with several sleeping bags after a lot of booze which I'm not keen to do again! I've already had a look at the numerous threads on these heaters and it looks like I should be able to use it to warm my van after a bit of electricary. Is this not the case?

stridey
28-09-08, 12:18
You need hook up for electrics as they would drain a battery in double quick time. If you have hook up an oil filled radiator would work....however I would be reluctant to rely on electrics as my only heater. one power cut and your fff ffff ffffff frozen!

if you have a deisel van an Eberspacher is practical but I do like the Propex as it runs on gas which you'll need if your cooking. Any heater is nice even when parked up as van get cold quickly.

Frankly the aux heater is a weightly lump and only good if your carting passengers around in the cold. Thats why I ditched it.

and having seperate heating is ideal as in the mornings you dont need to scrape windows. just fire up your jeater, 5 mins later it'll be dripping.

T4Tasty
30-09-08, 00:06
You need hook up for electrics as they would drain a battery in double quick time. If you have hook up an oil filled radiator would work....however I would be reluctant to rely on electrics as my only heater. one power cut and your fff ffff ffffff frozen!

if you have a deisel van an Eberspacher is practical but I do like the Propex as it runs on gas which you'll need if your cooking. Any heater is nice even when parked up as van get cold quickly.

Frankly the aux heater is a weightly lump and only good if your carting passengers around in the cold. Thats why I ditched it.

and having seperate heating is ideal as in the mornings you dont need to scrape windows. just fire up your jeater, 5 mins later it'll be dripping.

which propex heater you buy? can you send a link...thinking of getting one myself!