Roof Rails Help ??? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Roof Rails Help ???

Jimbo
30-09-08, 19:35
Can anyone shed some light on this for me, bought these roof rails from Vanfest, just what I was after and in Black.
They have the VW markings so no reason to think they are not genuine.
Anyway, the question is, about ready to fit them, but unsure from the instructions, which bits bolt up from the inside … Part 6 is the bit in question.

Now I was assuming the rubber gasket (4&5) sit on the top of the roof with bolts 3 screwing into part 6.

All very well and straight forward – BUT part 6 has a nut shape on the top of it, which suggests is doesn’t butt up to the inside of the roof …

Did anyone else buy and fit a set of these to let me otherwise ?

Jim

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk226/JimboT4/290920081027.jpg

Climberian
30-09-08, 19:48
I would think the nut is so it can be held with a spanner then the top thread can be tightend up to it as the lower piece has a flat face which has to locate the plate then the rails can be attached with grub screws later i think hopes its of help T:

team french
30-09-08, 20:20
are they for a t4? id say that yes, the roof skin goes between 6 and 4/5 then tighten bolt 3 thru them, as said above the hex will be to turn to tighten them. from the drawing i recon that the hex is at the top not just to confuse people but to allow the reinforcment plate(10) to sit neatly against the flat on the other side of 6.

Jimbo
30-09-08, 21:45
Yes, that is what I have made of it - the part 10 goes on the bottom of part 6 just as a brace.

It just seems odd that the top part of the Nut on part 6 would be the mating face with the underside of the roof - rather than say the shoulder at the bottom of the nut....

Goodness me, that doesn't read very well LOL:

ravedave
30-09-08, 21:51
well jimbo if that dusnt read well buy a kitchine at mfi it did my nut in.
any body had the same experiance ? lol

lardyb
01-10-08, 07:29
stick the threaded pins in the rails drill some big holes in the roof and find some nuts to fit with some washers to spread the loda. Oh and whack a load of sikaflex in there as well.
they don't look like they are for a T4 but you can make em fit with a bit of bodging. scrap the brackets as they don't look like they will fit anyway

t4scooby
01-10-08, 12:12
come on jimbo

lets see how uv done it

& is there a link to purchase

looks like something i'd like

:ILU:

Jimbo
01-10-08, 19:02
stick the threaded pins in the rails drill some big holes in the roof and find some nuts to fit with some washers to spread the loda. Oh and whack a load of sikaflex in there as well.
they don't look like they are for a T4 but you can make em fit with a bit of bodging. scrap the brackets as they don't look like they will fit anyway

There we go, now that was my line of thinking (first time for everything eh LOL:)

Seriously though, I was thinking of ditching parts 6 to 11 and making a small plate to spread the load and a couple of large nylocks. Job Done T:

Cool, feeling inspired to get the drill out and attack the roof now :D

Cheers for the rest of the replies and Scruffyherbert for the pm

Jim

p.s. I will of course post some pics soon as done ok

scruffyherbert
01-10-08, 20:02
No worries T:
I'll get the camera out in the morning..............the boss is away :D