Advice needed [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Advice needed

spiker08
02-10-08, 18:20
Hi all new to the forum although I have been lurking in the background for some time.I have just sold my 96 1.9 diesel transporter that was fitted with drivelodge conversion, mainly because I found the std 19 a little under powered for those trips to france etc. I'm looking at a very high miler (237000) 2.5tdi in black which looks awesome, my worries are a. how much life does an engine have in it?
b. will gearbox need replacing soon?
c. will running gear be tired, god the list could be endless but I just love this van
its on a 53 plate and used to be a taxi I believe.

Your advice would be gratefully recieved :confused:

Regards Spiker

pope
02-10-08, 19:33
i think i know which van your looking at, its a member of this forums van.
im sure someone can tell you who.
as for the van, as long as its been had all the servicing needed then i think it would be fine, ive seen these vans on 350,000 plus.
p.s it is an awsome looking beast isn't it!!!!! (if its the same van)T::ILU:

Paul Martin
02-10-08, 19:41
My main view would be this...

If the bodywork is fine, get it. Let's put that into perspective, how much would it cost you to say have the rust fixed in the wheelarches? By the time you've had 4 new arches welded in, the job filled, primed and then painted, I bet you wouldn't get much change out of 1500.

Now think what 1500 would get you in the form of and engine or gearbox etc. I bet you could buy a newly reconditioned engine and gearbox and have it fitted for less than that 1500 you paid to simply have the vehicle looking a bit more pretty.

Running gear and engines aren't the expensive parts in my opinion, its the bodywork repairs that costs the most.

spiker08
02-10-08, 20:05
i think i know which van your looking at, its a member of this forums van.
im sure someone can tell you who.
as for the van, as long as its been had all the servicing needed then i think it would be fine, ive seen these vans on 350,000 plus.
p.s it is an awsome looking beast isn't it!!!!! (if its the same van)T::ILU:

Yes youre right its the same hoping to pick up next weekend if all is ok, I just wanted to get some independant advice T:

spiker08
02-10-08, 20:09
Thanks Paul
The body work looks to be in a1 condition wont get to see it in the flesh till next week any ideas what to look for?

Regards Spiker

adamra
12-10-08, 09:35
I have a 95M 1.9d 800 specials and the gearbox has gone, can anyone advise if another gearbox from any other vehicle would do a straight swap? Only use van for transporting trials bikes, to and from work, doen 250,000 miles, but body in good condition and flew through the mot, anyone got any ideas for the cheapest way to do it? I have been quoted 300 for a used one fron scrap yard and 530 for a re conditioned one, minus fitting.