Damned rattles and buzzing noises driving me mad. [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Damned rattles and buzzing noises driving me mad.

JIMMYJAMES
02-10-08, 20:47
My van i driving me insane! Dont get me wrong i love it especially after all the PP stuff has been done but its the little resonance rattles and buzzing noises at certain revs that make it uncomfortable and irritating. Can anyone suggest things which commonly rattle on the early 1.9tdi t4's and some solutions.

thanks in advance,

Jimmy:ILU:

ravedave
02-10-08, 21:00
all diesels ratell un buz thats why you see meny bits of beer mats shuved in every crack and corner, i havent cum across one yet thats silent,
tip of the day turn the music up
rock/n/roll baby
reminds me of that golf advert with the scweeky ear ring , all knoks and ratels oh so iritating

JIMMYJAMES
02-10-08, 21:05
all diesels ratell un buz thats why you see meny bits of beer mats shuved in every crack and corner, i havent cum across one yet thats silent,
tip of the day turn the music up
rock/n/roll baby
reminds me of that golf advert with the scweeky ear ring , all knoks and ratels oh so iritating

Ahhhh an excuse to buy an active sub me thinksA:

In all seriousness i found and cured one today which was the oil filler touching the newly installed intercooler when the engine pulled from low revs moving it on the mounts. I removed and cut the filler neck and installed a new piece of rubber hose between the two parts and cable tied it out the way which worked a treat. The next thing i'm intending to have a look at is the plastic grill on the bonnet which is buzzing. Just need to sort out the engine rattles from the drivers side wheel arch when pulling away but so far its been illusive

ravedave
02-10-08, 21:09
too right mate place it under wifes seat she,ll love the buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
then your ok to buy eny thing you want for the t4 yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeee harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

jeffscarborough
03-10-08, 08:02
The heat shield on the downpipe is a major rattle producer.
I attacked mine with some mole grips and tightened it up by twisting the seams on either side.I:
Engine undertray can rattle at rear if the bonded rubber mounts have come apart.
Also the seal between the exhaust manifold and the downpipe is a squeeker!

PredacomDom
03-10-08, 08:08
That heat shield rattle does my nut! That'll probably be the drivers wheel arch one Jimmy.

I've tried tightening it and also got my dealer to try and sort it last time it went in for a service and still makes a heck of a noise, particularly bad when reversing. Any more tips for sorting this one?

JIMMYJAMES
03-10-08, 11:46
Annoyingly its pouring with rain at the moment so i cant look and i'm working the graveyard shift again tonight so it will probably have to wait until i get back from scotland now. Grrrrrrr 10 days of annoying vibrations just because its raining.

Where is the location of the drivers side heat shield on yours Dom?

JIMMYJAMES
03-10-08, 11:48
The heat shield on the downpipe is a major rattle producer.
I attacked mine with some mole grips and tightened it up by twisting the seams on either side.I:
Engine undertray can rattle at rear if the bonded rubber mounts have come apart.
Also the seal between the exhaust manifold and the downpipe is a squeeker!

I did have a brief look but i think i need to get it on a ramp somewhere when its running to find it for sure.

JIMMYJAMES
15-10-08, 09:44
Back from Scotland and after some track driving the exhaust vibrated in half as it had been welded in so many places for the wheelchair ramp it used to have. I got a local garage to fasion me a side exit exhaust and bin the rest as it was rotten and a lot of the rattles have dissapeared since. All in all a happy experience and not alot more noisy even without any silencers.

loud ed
15-10-08, 19:26
Get a louder stereo then you cant hear the rattles I: my van hasnt got any rattles