side windows [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

side windows

markone
08-10-08, 18:02
Hi all,do any of you out there no where i can get my 2x side windows fitted the same day.most people want the van for a couple of days ,but really need van for work.Already have both windows and fitting kit, anyone around New Forest area would be good,but dont mind travelling a few miles..

Century
08-10-08, 19:10
If they are fitted same day they wont be fitted correctly, its a overnight job.
Andy from First Glass will sort you out, he is on here. firstglass.

Rhosneigr Gaz
08-10-08, 19:28
im worried now, my local bloke can do em same day, getting mine done soon. Why overnight?

dickyfixit
08-10-08, 19:31
I had mine fitted by a windscreen firm that fit them for VW and i watched them do it and 10 mins later they let me drive it home 25 miles with tape holding them in:eek: They told me to leave the windows open 10mm and dont use the heater or slam the doors or go over any pot holes:D And mine are fine..

dickyfixit
08-10-08, 19:32
Gaz it was anglessy windscreens that did mine in pentraeth. thats near you isnt it

Rhosneigr Gaz
08-10-08, 19:34
Anglesey Windscreens are doing mine and they do all of Pentraeth Vw's vans so i just assumed they knew their stuff?!

Rhosneigr Gaz
08-10-08, 19:36
thatr answered that! What did he charge? Quoted me 120+vat for 2 side windows?

dickyfixit
08-10-08, 19:37
Yep same for me mate, Did a nice job to be fair! Well pleased:)

Rhosneigr Gaz
08-10-08, 19:43
sounds good to me! 120 is a lot but by the time u have factored in your own time plus the stress of potentially making a pigs ear of the job i think its cheap! Just need to save up the cash now, then i can really press on with getting the van habitable!

vanheaven
08-10-08, 19:50
Most will say drive away after about an hour of cure time. I personally fit the windows to the campers i build will always try fit the windows in the morning and let it dry through the afternoon. When the customer turns up i will tape round all edges just for added security but when them windows are in oh there in. Like already stated not speeding slamming or humping or was that pot holes he:ILU:

Century
08-10-08, 20:38
Speak to andy at firstglass he will explain why overnight is needed

Daz in Guz
08-10-08, 21:23
I had mine done at Van Sport in Penzance the same day - dropped off at 9am and picked up about 4pm if i remember rightly?

The lads did a cracking job and give 20% discount for forum members and maybe a little more for cash?!!!

Hope this helps

Daz

vanheaven
08-10-08, 21:30
van sport are the daddy for window fitting i have bought stock from them in the past never had fittment from them but my bro in law OXBOW on here has. We did the same dropped van off at 9 had a little surf at praa and picked up at 4 with the no slamming the door strongly in mind which was recomended for 48 hours. The way i see it if your using the right bonding and there primmed properly you shouldnt have any trouble. Most windscreen fitters will give you a drive away time of at least 45 minutes, like i say once the glass touches you will never pull it off again. I have known people leave it 24 hours and i cant see a problem in this with the aid of ratchet straps and wood chocks to give a tight hold.

T4 VIRGIN,
08-10-08, 21:38
the newer types of bonding agents have a cure time of around 45 mins,i cut the holes and prepped the area then a local windscreen fitter fitted the glass for 25 a side,i would fit them again without worrying about it was easy enough

thebassmasta
09-10-08, 08:09
i want windows in my 800 special van, one in the sliding door and one opposite, but i dont want to cut the holes myself fearing if i **** it up im up s**t street without a paddle, anybody know where/who does it all from scratch , windows, seals, tinted, supplied and fitted? the other thing is im in the midlands, any help appreciated, :ILU:

markone
09-10-08, 18:17
Speak to andy at firstglass he will explain why overnight is needed

windows being fitted 2morow at martin bridles christchurch,and also a sunroof,collecting van sat morning.

T4 Matt
09-10-08, 18:37
Hey Markone

Can you tell me what it's costing?:D

Cheers

markone
09-10-08, 19:07
yeh he,s quoted me 47 each side including vat,160 for the sunroof fitted all including vat. have been quoted way over this buy some local window fitters,seems like a nice chap aswell.just hope he makes a nice job:eek:

firstglass
09-10-08, 20:42
Good Luck T:, and please post some photos

firstglass
11-10-08, 21:11
Did you get it back today? how did it look?

markone
12-10-08, 21:48
dont no where to start :(good bits first the sunroof excellent job fits well and really looks good both inside and out.now for the windows,didnt fit the outer trim:c before the bonding process so have spent all afternoon with a small craft knife trying to trim off excess bond from around the windows just so i can fit the rubber trim, i no it should have gone around the glass first so is a bit of a ba:cd to put on but does fit ok. and looks loads better.or will once ive finished.other than that the inside looks alright nice flush clean cuts etc. partly my fault i guess showed him windows and bonding kit box and not the rubber surround that was in another bag.i can only presume i was the guinne pig.however he was very appolgetic and altered the finall bill,and in future will fit the trim:(

markone
12-10-08, 21:51
dont no where to start :(good bits first the sunroof excellent job fits well and really looks good both inside and out.now for the windows,didnt fit the outer trim:c before the bonding process so have spent all afternoon with a small craft knife trying to trim off excess bond from around the windows just so i can fit the rubber trim, i no it should have gone around the glass first so is a bit of a ba:cd to put on but does fit ok. and looks loads better.or will once ive finished.other than that the inside looks alright nice flush clean cuts etc. partly my fault i guess showed him windows and bonding kit box and not the rubber surround that was in another bag.i can only presume i was the guinne pig.however he was very appolgetic and altered the finall bill,and in future will fit the trim:(

ps should do you the world of good

vanheaven
12-10-08, 22:12
I have come accross this happening before with window fitters leaving off the rubber trim there is away around it without the hastle of tidying up the excess bonding and its a stick on rubber trim made to the same profile as the genuine stuff that basically sticks round the glass. Not a great idea but it does look ok. I came accross this when i changed my supplier who tried to inform me this is the way its done now (load of rubbish) remember your a T4 forum member and know more than they do. Sounds like he was decent about it though and accepted defeat. Glad it turned out well in the end pics would be cool :ILU:

markone
12-10-08, 22:20
yeh i was a little gutted but lucky enough that original trim just about fits ,though it is a bit of a squeeze,which i suppose isnt a bad thing.i will try and put some pics on soon .or if your local always welcome to view.

markone
12-10-08, 22:21
yeh i was a little gutted but lucky enough that original trim just about fits ,though it is a bit of a squeeze,which i suppose isnt a bad thing.i will try and put some pics on soon .or if your local always welcome to view.

just seen your location ,doesnt sound local?

firstglass
12-10-08, 22:42
Markone, if your about tommorrow or tuesday, pop into the workshops 01202 762267 phone first because we are incredibly busy modifying T4,s at the moment and i will have a look for you.

markone
13-10-08, 17:47
cheeres Andy,trims now fitted looks much better than it did,thanks for the loan of tool ,will get it back to u asap.thanks

Century
13-10-08, 20:32
I:I:I:No one listens to meI:I:I:
You get what you pay for:)