Brake light Switch [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Brake light Switch

Andy M
16-10-08, 21:16
I have just fitted a new brake light switch but the fault light (engine glow light) is still flashing and i still dont have any rear brake lights.

I have checked the bulbs & fuses and they are Ok, any other ideas what it might be or how to solve the problem.

wind welder
16-10-08, 21:33
I see you have a 2.5

they will have two brake switches one for the lights one for the cruise control.

check both!

Cheers Trev.

Jurasik
17-10-08, 00:39
This is a really stupid question, but, what colour is your brake light switch?
I ask because I thought my coil light flashing was brake light switch related. I turned out to be my drivers side mirror wiring in the rubber boot. It was chaffed & causing a short.
Anywho, the brake lights on my van are working, but I wanted to change the switch. I bought a new one from VW & it was green & bigger in circumfrence, but shorter in length.
When I installed the switch, my brake lights stopped working. I took the switch back to the dealer & they tried it in my van too. They pronounced that the switch was faulty & that they would order a new one. Went to pick up another switch & it was the same as the other one - faulty. If your replacement switch is not working, I would get VW to check the switch, just in case. T:

Andy M
17-10-08, 07:01
Thanks for the help, the switch is black, i've had a few replacements as the last one only worked for a day or so, which i thought was faulty. I did'nt know if the van had more faults than just the light switch as it kept going. The van doesnt have cruise control, but does that mean the switch won't be in place for it to be fitted.

wind welder
17-10-08, 10:44
Thanks for the help, the switch is black, i've had a few replacements as the last one only worked for a day or so, which i thought was faulty. I did'nt know if the van had more faults than just the light switch as it kept going. The van doesnt have cruise control, but does that mean the switch won't be in place for it to be fitted.

Hi Andy,

If you are not using c/control,
then you already have a spare switch as the switches for both the clutch and brake are installed from new.
1 switch on the clutch
2 switches on the brake.

I had the flashing light several years ago, was working away, so took the switch out took it apart.

Cleaned up the contacts bent them a LITTLE to make a more posative connection and have had no further trouble.

I'm fairly sure the clutch switch is a slightly different mounting system so you can't mix them up.

Cheers Trev.

Jurasik
17-10-08, 11:15

Did you buy that from VW? I ask as my original is black also. If you dud, can you tell me the part number?

Roleur Coaster
17-10-08, 12:23
My switch went last week, and I took out the old one (a lovely shade of pink), and went to SMV in Yeovil. They gave me a green replacement which as has ben mentioned is shorter and fatter, but sloted it in, and worked fine. Coil light disappeared soon as..

'03 2.5 88

bigcat
17-10-08, 19:55
If my memory is right. When we bought a brakelight switch from our local euro parts place for my mate's van, the guy at the shop ( he seems to know his stuff quite well) said that it was possible to put the switch in wrong way round and that he'd had people return them as u/s.
Maybe wrong, but it's worth a closer look.