Stopping my van getting nicked! [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Stopping my van getting nicked!

cvh98
17-10-08, 18:27
For the next couple of weeks I have to park my van in a park and ride car park, (very dodgy). The thing is, I dont have any central locking/immobiliser on my van. As a basic method of anti-theft, does anyone know of a fuse I can pull out to stop the van being started?

I have no owners manual so I cannot identify which fuse does what. Is there a main fuse for the ignition/starter motor for example?

Thanks for any help.

Chris

e30mark
17-10-08, 18:45
No fuses on critical items like starters / ignition etc

Is yours petrol or diesel?

cally
17-10-08, 18:52
there is a fuse that will stop your van starting,,,,

my van wouldnt start few weeks ago, 19td it twas turning over but not firing, got bit worried at the time, but always check cheapest things first...so i checkedall the fuses 1 at a time, 1 was blown, changed it and the van started straight away....A:A:

only thing is i cant remember which 1 it was,,,,

i suggest taking 1 fuse out at a time and turn engine over, 1 of them will defo stop your van starting....T:T:

i thought at the time that it is a good cheap way of immobilisingI:I:

mikey
17-10-08, 18:52
Take the battery out and put it in the van somewhere else. T:

cvh98
17-10-08, 18:55
Sorry, lack of detail. Mine is a 2.5 tdi 2001.

I thought about pulling all the fuses one at a time, but I haven't got the radio code.

bravocorsa
17-10-08, 19:10
:)hi cvh and welcome if you look on ebay they sell a battery cut off switch to fit on the battery + terminal and is normally a removable key affair (think they sell em in halfords as well and prob maplins)

to keep the stereo and clock settings you just need to loop a fused wire around it ! let me know if you need more help it really is a 10 minute job and works really well!

(did it on my beach buggy for obvoius reasons!:eek:)

vwaddict
18-10-08, 10:27
id just take the bus to the park and ride LOL:

cvh98
20-10-08, 18:17
Cheers Guys,

I put a "Police Aware" sticker on the windscreen. Worked like a dream, van was still there this evening!!!!! Result.;)

dampervan
20-10-08, 22:53
Cheers Guys,

I put a "Police Aware" sticker on the windscreen. Worked like a dream, van was still there this evening!!!!! Result.;)

lmao did you really??? thats funny as f:c

jamesdavy
21-10-08, 00:05
Qucker than taking your battery out take your steering wheel off n take it home with you,only 1 nut in the middle take you 5 mins to pop it on in the morning!:)

SAFECRACKER
21-10-08, 06:31
if its a auto fuse 14 will kill it.

stridey
21-10-08, 07:13
Not sure about 'Police Aware' (if it wasnt a joke).

Its a sure sign to others that the vehicle has been abandoned and will lead to it being stripped, windows stoved in, and burned.

Two ideas Ive seen are to fit a removable steering wheel and take it with you (I have done this) or fit a swivel base and twist the seat round and padlock in the reverse position. ...I am too dumb to have thought of that, I think its excellent!

When I needed to park overnight at a tube carpark once I phoned the parking company who were quite happy for me to leave it there, and actually thanked me for telling them. They did patrols and had cc tv, but becuase I had told them specifically about my van they knew it was meant to be there, and kept an eye on it. So maybe worth a call to the PandR company and park it near the cctv? Added piece of mind?

cvh98
23-10-08, 21:53
Now there's someone thinking outside the box!

cvh98
23-10-08, 21:56
Safecraker, what does fuse 14 control? I don't have a manual yet.

ChrisR:

VWPhil
24-10-08, 09:20
Try this link:

http://www.vwbooks.co.uk/vw_info/Fuses_07_98.pdf

You could disable the fuel pump, or engine electrics, but personally I would leave these well alone.

Hope it helps:)