Interior condensation ?? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Interior condensation ??

t4covert1
28-10-08, 16:06
Can anyone assist in cutting down the condensation on the interior of our van, as Scotland witnesses it's first real cold snap last night and toady, we went out to get something from the van and noticed every single window was condensated up ON THE INSIDE !!! :confused:.

Now i have seen it on old wet bugs and the likes but never on a bone dry semi new vehicle, that was in use only hours beforehand...

So my question is thus, is there any effective way of cutting down the amount it does or totally erradicate it altogether as camper convertions with carpetted ceilings and the exta upholstery etc and dampness wont be a very good mix i wouldn't of though !!!

Far short of running a small greenhouse type heater out into it during the winter months has anyone else experienced such probs and if so what did you do to remedy it !!!

Cheers

reimoboy
28-10-08, 16:20
Move South?? Sorry not helping much am I!!

t4covert1
28-10-08, 16:32
I: nope not really but cheers anyway, any sensible suggestions far short of moving to somewhere warmer :cool:

Cheers

chrisreay
28-10-08, 18:31
A small greenhouse heater's not a bad idea. I remember a guy who did this with his Land Rover and nobody could figure out how his car never got frosted and was warm when you got in.
Otherwise you'll always have the moisture from your journey being absorbed by the interior fittings then condensing out when the metal gets cold at night.

t4covert1
28-10-08, 18:35
I take it that its down to the amount of insulation in it to keep us warm as it is a fully fitted campervan then and not down to anything leaking....
As it is not at all wet inside ...
What type of heater would be a safe bet then ??? to leave on overnight ?? i take it one of the really small bar heaters that u would normally find in a greenhouse would be a safe bet then ???

Cheers

golfgtioz
28-10-08, 18:52
you could always use one of those oil filled radiators for cold frosty nights . or even pop in a dehumidifier every week or so to remove any build up of moisture .. personally i went for a eberspacher night heater , i can set the seven day programmer so it comes on 30mins before i go to work so its all toasty warm and defrosted , also quite good for drying the van out i guess ..

stridey
28-10-08, 19:15
I have notice that if you leave water inside the van, say a bottle, or something open the condensation is worse. I think....

t4covert1
28-10-08, 19:25
I have notice that if you leave water inside the van, say a bottle, or something open the condensation is worse. I think....

Could it then be down to something as simple as the onboard portta potti and water bottles although not opened they are both always full and ready to go ????

Have we per chance just missed this as the van is used at least every second day and sometimes eveyday so shouldnt get cold damn or whatever should it ???

Cheers

cally
28-10-08, 19:37
Never seen a vehicle that dont have condensation on windows in cold weather, look at all the vehicles in your street on cold mornings, every1 of them will have condensation...

p.s.... havnt you owned a vehicle before....Rasp:Rasp:Rasp:

ahay!
28-10-08, 19:38
I think.............................. when all is said and done.................................... and all your options have been weighed up..........................

That Reimoboy was right in the first reply LOL:

stridey
28-10-08, 19:39
I reckon that might be one reason.

Closed bottles probably not, maybe its the liquid in the portapotti?
Even the water tank through an unplugged sink as well?
I think a test is in order!

Where are the men (and women) with white coats and a row of pens who can answer?

nige73
28-10-08, 20:40
Hi
I have silver screens for my windows and they are great in my t4 camper.They are foil backed insulated panels that fasten to the inside of the windows with suckers.They keep the heat in and the cold out and cut down on condensation.

vwaddict
28-10-08, 21:17
leave the windows open then it will be the same temperature inside and out and no condensation problem solved I:

phil5556
28-10-08, 23:33
Mine's always dry inside when I'm not camping but after a weekend away it'll take a couple of days to stop getting condensation on the windows. Especially if you've been away in the rain and had damp stuff in there.

You been away recently?

BANANAVAN
29-10-08, 00:07
Far short of running a small greenhouse type heater out into it during the winter months has anyone else experienced such probs and if so what did you do to remedy it !!!

Cheers

This will make it worse :eek:
any fuel that you burn in the van will cause condensation.

you need fresh air circulation

electric heater might work

Dave
29-10-08, 04:56
Container of salt ;)

Desp Dan
29-10-08, 06:45
Container of salt ;)

Or Silica Gel ;)

or one of these

http://www.caravantech-shop.co.uk/products/housewares/moisture-traps/rechargeable-dehumidifier

ahay!
29-10-08, 09:07
Bob are you allowed to buy stuff there :confused:
What with your caravan club criminal record and all LOL:

junglegusset2
29-10-08, 11:47
you could always use one of those oil filled radiators for cold frosty nights ........

I use one of these every other weekend or so in the winter for a few hours, leave the windows open a touch as well, then go for a drive round with your fan heater on full and all the windows open, that seems to get rid of it.

simplepsy
29-10-08, 12:00
Where are the men (and women) with white coats and a row of pens who can answer?

I have some men in white coats standing by for you, Mike. I just dont think they are the type you are hoping for....

Rasp:

t4covert1
29-10-08, 13:10
Yeah
Obviously ive had cars before about 50 in all, and yeah they to a degree all condensate up, but this is way worse than that, hence my original post...
Some of the ideas are good and i will try them, the heater i was suggesting was a small electric bar type heater you would more often find in a greenhouse,garage or outhouse to keep the chill out or to stop pipes freezing and such like so that wouldnt cause condesation as its not burning any type of fuel other than lekky of course..
As for opening a window i ha thought about that but wondered if that might not make matters worse due to the inside freezing much like the outside thus casing more water when it defrosts..
Im off to try a few ideas and will get back to you when i find out if any work..
Thanks for the suggestions hopefully amongst them i might find a compromise

Cheers

Treeeev
29-10-08, 19:27
Sounds to me like you might have a leak somewhere with water somewhere in the van. I had a T3 Autohomes Kamper for 17 years (now gone and replaced with a T4 which I'm converting). This wasn't carpeted all over and I had a fair bit of bare metal but my experiences were the same as what Phil5556 reported

Trevor

t4covert1
29-10-08, 19:32
The last time it was used was last Saturday an know we havent been away a 12 mile journey i think or therabouts and it broke down then lay at my fathers till getting driven back the following day noticed the conden and since it seems to be dryish, i will check it again tonight when its colder

Just worried incase i had a leak but dont seem to have cant find anywhere wet at least..
Now removed potra and water bot see if that helps, if not back to the drawing board i suppose and a heater instal me finks...

Slanj

phil5556
30-10-08, 23:31
Try looking under the front mat if you think you might have an unknown leak. Check it sooner than later just in case cos my mat pretty much rotted! Luckily the tin stayed solid!

t4covert1
31-10-08, 11:57
Phil
Thanks for that already tried all that had all carpets etc out cant find anything, going to try and get one of these tube heaters low wattage devices that are commonly used in greenhouses and outhouses to add a little heat and hopefully that will solve the problem...

Really think its all simply down to the amount of insulation in her making it far warmer on the inside than out and this causing the build up of condensation there in pressumabely that sound feasible and will remedy it without using to much lekky or ruining an otherwise perfect interior which would be a great shame..

Also thought about getting a muchroom vent put on here roof ??? to circulate some air and thus keep it down in this way but not to sure about that on either...

Thanks to all who contributed might have a cure will let you know just looking for somewhere relatively cheap to buy said heater now and we should be off, Argos want 30 so must be somewhere cheaper as that sounds to dear...

Slanj