too short for my T4? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

too short for my T4?

cindy
30-10-08, 07:03
At 5'3" I seem to be too short for my new project (building a campervan). Can't reach the pedals and have to lean right over out of sight of the road to reach the handbrake!
Surely there are short people driving T4s around?! I have heard of the gear stick extension but what about the seat depth? It is so high my little legs dont reach the pedals unless I stretch forward all the time. Wont be good for long journeys! I know other vans like Vauxhall Vivaros have seats that tip down at the front for little people.
What do we T4 peeps do? :confused:

Telviking
30-10-08, 07:43
My other half is 5'2" and she has no problems driving the van, and that is with higher seats!
you could get lower seat bases and modify the runners.

as for the Handbrake, I have to reach down to get it as I'm tall!

Tel.

cindy
30-10-08, 08:19
My other half is 5'2" and she has no problems driving the van, and that is with higher seats!
you could get lower seat bases and modify the runners.

as for the Handbrake, I have to reach down to get it as I'm tall!

Tel.

worried I might not see out if I lower the seats !
I think perhaps platform shoes are in order :)

wayne-dj
30-10-08, 09:13
worried I might not see out if I lower the seats !
I think perhaps platform shoes are in order :)

good answer - there is nothing stooping you driving that t4 ha ha :ILU:

muddyhell
30-10-08, 09:17
My missus is 5'4" and has no problems driving the van, I have got Honda CRX seats in though which are abot 3" lower than standard seats...the handbrake though is very low..i have seen some raising kits which fit on top but they look pants..

paul ss
30-10-08, 12:19
grow some legs or get the stilletos out ha LOL:

a smaller steering wheel may help , i no the wheel in my van feels huge compared to cars .

T4 00 KAH
30-10-08, 14:24
I am a shortie, only 5ft 1" and I feel comfortable driving the van. steering wheel does make it feel huge but I am definatley a fan of it now. My seat is right forward tho. I love driving it now and feel tiny when i drive our golf LOL:

T4 VIRGIN,
30-10-08, 16:04
im 5''4 and have no problems driving mine,i have put a gearlever extension on mine and i like it now and couldnt go back to short stick,i have seen posts on here of people chopping some hieght out of there seat bases to drop it down a bit,
infact my seat can go farther forward than i have it at the moment,are you sure yours is at its furthest forward point-its not stuck by years of yuk stuck to the runners??mines also has another little lever that when you pull it up the seat goes even further forward than normal,mines a 2002

maybe the problem is you only have 14 inch legs but a 3 feet 10 bodyLOL:

cindy
30-10-08, 19:33
maybe the problem is you only have 14 inch legs but a 3 feet 10 bodyLOL:[/QUOTE]

LOL:LOL:LOL:

...the seat lowering thing sounds best (along with the gearstick extension) then I will look like a little old lady peering over the top of my dashboard. As for the handbrake..I will just disappear out of sight every time I use it (great fun on hilly traffic lights H:)

Still! At least I wont have trouble hanging off the end of my my camperbed or hitting my head on the headlining!

loud ed
31-10-08, 18:48
at least you wont need a pop topI:just some blocks of wood on the pedals

sorry

Funnybones
01-11-08, 12:45
At 5'3" I seem to be too short for my new project (building a campervan). Can't reach the pedals and have to lean right over out of sight of the road to reach the handbrake!
Surely there are short people driving T4s around?! I have heard of the gear stick extension but what about the seat depth? It is so high my little legs dont reach the pedals unless I stretch forward all the time. Wont be good for long journeys! I know other vans like Vauxhall Vivaros have seats that tip down at the front for little people.
What do we T4 peeps do? :confused:

My god I wish I was 5'3" again but I'm 5 foot and a fart (only just over the 5' mark now I:) and I can reach Cindy, I did however get the gear stick entender to save the reaching for the gear stick. I drive it daily and never had a problem.

Your be fine, just get out in it and get some confindence.

Lisa T:

cindy
02-11-08, 07:40
HI Lisa, did you get the angled gear stick extension or the straight one? It looks like I need an angled one so it REACHES me :D

Funnybones
02-11-08, 10:20
Hi Cindy, I have the staight one and its well within reach even for me. :)

tubafur
02-11-08, 10:53
just think you won't need a rock and roll bed, you can sleep across the length of the van!
LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:
Wish I could without curling up into a ball.....

Funnybones
02-11-08, 11:00
just think you won't need a rock and roll bed, you can sleep across the length of the van!
LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:
Wish I could without curling up into a ball.....

Funny you should say that I: