Ikea Rock and Roll bed - Who's used 1? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Ikea Rock and Roll bed - Who's used 1?

CC84
31-10-08, 11:14
Has anybody used the Ikea R+R bed and cut it to size to use as a full width bed in their van? I'm thinking of doing it but aint sure how to go about it - I'm guessing the frame has to be cut, re welded and legs extended to clear the wheeel arches!
If anyone's got any info or pics of their build or finnished project it would be appreciated!

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90032681

Cheers :ILU:

cally
31-10-08, 11:19
All the measurements are there.....

Get the tape measure out fella, i'm sure you'll be able to fit it with bit of modding....:ILU:

defo worth a try for that priceT:T:

CC84
31-10-08, 11:24
Ye definately - cheap as chips!
I'm just wondering how to strengthen the weld when it's been cut - probably with some metal tubing i guess - wondered what others had done!

Fancied seeing peoples finnished items as well for some inspiration!

Cheers :ILU:

CC84
31-10-08, 13:05
Also av any of you used the Ikea foam and cover? T:

T4 Tom
31-10-08, 13:49
If you want to use that for a bed get a single bed version of it and add bigger slats to get the width you want, thats what I have done.

I Have used their foam also, its ok but i had to cut mine to size and tuck the cover under.

Personally if I was going to do it again I would go for a Rock n Roll bed like in a bay or splitty.

Simply because a RnR gives you so much more storage than one of these beds.

When i have the I'm going to replace my Ikea one of those, with a RnR

Hope that's of some help,

Cheers,

Tom

CC84
31-10-08, 14:03
Sounds good mate - so i could plonk the bed in the middle of the floor between the wheel arches then have ply board overhanging each end to make a full width bed?? Genius idea!!!
you are right it aint going to be the best for storage but i'm sure i can modify it somehow!
Any pics of it in place??

statler
31-10-08, 20:40
Sounds good mate - so i could plonk the bed in the middle of the floor between the wheel arches then have ply board overhanging each end to make a full width bed?? Genius idea!!!
you are right it aint going to be the best for storage but i'm sure i can modify it somehow!
Any pics of it in place??

You don't need to add ply to the Ikea bed - it is a double bed & all you have to do is add some 2" box section to bottom of feet to clear wheel arches. Don't leave much rom for cabinets though.

I have a futon mattress on mine, a bit of a pig to fold away in the morning, but comfy :D

And if you move the front legs (bolt on) out a little bit you can get loads underneath the bed: I got an inverter, leisure battery, cooker, gas cylinder,kettle,toaster, blah blah blah under mine. :D:D:D
And as it sits right up to back door, you got loads of room in van for sitting bodies.

bigdaddy
01-11-08, 14:10
hi, we are fitting one of these in our T4 at the moment, i'll post some pic's if i can when its done. all it needs is the legs extending by about 2 inches T:

CC84
02-11-08, 00:02
That'd be grate thanks!

danster
02-11-08, 00:08
i have definatly seen some one on here do it by cutting it down have you done a search ?

danster
02-11-08, 00:12
ah here you go pal
https://vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10562&highlight=ikea+welded

CC84
02-11-08, 00:15
Ye i've typed in 'ikea bed' into search but i havn'e found anyone with a build diagram or photo's - i think i have the jist of what i need to do but would be a help to see someone elses 1st for tips!

danster
02-11-08, 00:17
link for at above mate

CC84
02-11-08, 00:18
Cool - all i need to do now is pay the 10 quid for the membership! LOL: I'm tight on the paper stuff at the moment due to paying about a grand in 2 weeks getting the van sorted so perhaps it'll have to wait till next month! :)
Cheers Anyway! :ILU:

bigdaddy
02-11-08, 18:06
right then, legs extended by 2 inches and it fits like a glove, photo tomorrow hopefully.

CC84
02-11-08, 21:40
Great stuff looking forward to it!! A: