Cleaning water marks from windows? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Cleaning water marks from windows?

J-T5
02-11-08, 01:05
Anyone got any ideas:confused:

I brought a pair of rear quarter windows from ebay but they have water marks all over them, tried window polish and car bodywork polish and nothing is shifting the marks:(

Thanks for any help

Jay

jamesdavy
02-11-08, 01:37
Try vinegar and newspaper mate,scrunch up a sheet of newspaper and put vinegar on it then scrub away!Might work if not dont know!I:

veedubnut
02-11-08, 02:13
Try vinegar and newspaper mate,scrunch up a sheet of newspaper and put vinegar on it then scrub away!Might work if not dont know!I:

White vinegar mized 4:1 with water and use a cloth!!

or read this and theres loads of info and tips

http://www.creativehomemaking.com/cleaning/removing-hard-water-stains.shtml

wayne-dj
02-11-08, 07:06
if its water then it shold come off, if totally unsure and the vinager dont work try metalated spirit / white spirit (turps) and a cloth.... Unfortunatly it will smell a bit, I had to to use the last 2, to remove glue residue left from some1 "tinting" the windows with vinyl!

Hope this helps.

t4covert1
02-11-08, 12:25
As a last resort we used recently some silvo polish or brasso lightly should remove any unsightly marks for you as it did for us, just my tuppence worth worth a try of all else fails...
Pressuming of course they aint been tinted then i wouldnt put any type of chemical near them as it is lightly to bubble the film up on you or melt it entirely...

Hope this is of some help

Slanj

pure t4
02-11-08, 14:17
mdr mineral deposit remover chances are it lime or other mineral we have it when cleaning windows on houses where the householder has sprayed the windows with tap water then it dries and leaves the mineral marks on the glass looks like water drops pain to remove

cozz
02-11-08, 15:52
i like to use MER polish on windows, it works very well

t4covert1
02-11-08, 15:57
i like to use MER polish on windows, it works very well

When we were in the trade so to speak, we used to use a mixture of Autoglass products as in 1/4 polish - 1/4 cutting compound - 1/2 Quick polish which we used on ALL surfaces and it worked fine on ALL surfaces and finishes and for that matter all makers paints leaving an easy to get back off cleaner that will clean anmost anything even tar spots etc due to the mild cutting agents in it..
Hence i had said previously Brasso as it is a mild cutting agent.
It is a common practice in the motor trade to mix your own concoquions to suit how much owrk you want to do, ask any main dealer valleter i'm pretty sure they would back me up on that...

Slanj

J-T5
02-11-08, 17:36
Thanks guys, I will try your suggestions, hopefully one will workT:

I have tried car polish, which has a mild cutting action but to no avail, i think its mineral deposit as mentioned so will look into getting the proper stuff if all else fails

Thinking the vinegar might work as its an acid and the marks are probably an alkeli mineral deposit....or maybe I don't know what I'm on about:confused::confused::confused:LOL:LOL:LOL:

Jay

J-T5
02-11-08, 17:38
I used to use polish on windows (Autoglym). Works well but I found it left a coating of some kind that meant that it would be really hard to clear the front windscreen on cold mornings:confused:

Got the proper stuff, defo worth it as it make the windscreen wipers work so much better:ILU: