Help please?! I can't get my wheel off... [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Help please?! I can't get my wheel off...

hannah
02-11-08, 09:43
Hi
I'm so sorry for being so thick. I've got a flat tyre and I really want to make it to the meet in Coventry this afternoon, but I can't get the wheel off. I've never changed a tyre before, but I know it can't be that hard!
I managed to find and get the spare wheel, and I've jacked up the van and managed to get the 5 bolts out. but now I'm stuck!
Does the big bolt in the middle need undoing? Cause I haven't got anything big enough to do that! I'm so blonde! HEEEELP?!!

reimoboy
02-11-08, 09:45
No you don't need to touch the centre bolt. I expect the wheel has a stuck to the hub due to rust. A whack with a hammer should help T:

But be very careful if the van is on a jack!!

T4 VIRGIN,
02-11-08, 09:52
as reimo said a big whack should do,

JIMMYJAMES
02-11-08, 10:00
Or a kick with a steel toe cap. When you get it off greese the spiggot ring and the contact area with a thin layer of copper slip or similar to stop it happening again.

hannah
02-11-08, 10:16
That's weird - I replied to this about 10 minutes ago...

anyway...

I'VE DONE IT!!
Thanks very much guys for helping a damsel in distress! I was being a bit timid cause I don't have great faith in my Jacking skills, but once i knew the wheel was supposed to come off, it did fairly easily with a good wiggle! Just needed a bit of hand holding really - which was nice, so thanks!!
Feeling quite proud of myself now!

JIMMYJAMES
02-11-08, 10:29
Well done you. I cant stand women who call the AA for a flat tyre in fear of a broken nail and no i'm not being sexist!

mikey
02-11-08, 10:31
Well done Hannah, today a wheel change tomorrow a full rebuild. A:

JIMMYJAMES
02-11-08, 10:37
Have a look at Cindy's van she's done loads in a very short amount of time!
Heres the link https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23683

hannah
02-11-08, 11:49
yeah, but think how many nails she must have broken! I was happy with my achievement, not so sure now...

elvis
03-11-08, 06:54
hey well done you ,most women wouldnt be bothered to do it,slowly & surely your get there.

Wavestarved
03-11-08, 15:04
Had to laugh last Saturday on my way down to Cornwall, three big burley builder types sat on the bank of the M5 while a RAC man was changing their wheel. What gives eh?
Jase

paul ss
03-11-08, 15:10
well least your not as bad as my misis , she would of probley drove around all day on a flat and then come home and said something don't feel right on the van LOL:

and wonders why she has her own car and its ****ed and i refuse to work on it LOL:

well done for getting stuck in and having a go

paul ss
03-11-08, 15:11
Had to laugh last Saturday on my way down to Cornwall, three big burley builder types sat on the bank of the M5 while a RAC man was changing their wheel. What gives eh?
Jase

i have been in that situation before and did not realise there was no jack in the van hence having to call AA out T:

loud ed
03-11-08, 21:04
ive been there as well 2 foot breaker bar and still coudnt undo the wheel nuts on mine
AA man had to use a scaffold pole

JIMMYJAMES
03-11-08, 21:13
The mrs rode 20 miles on her scooter saying it felt like it was icy out................. Turns out the tyre was about to fall off the rim, she's well educated now though. Its nice to see women getting on with it and having a go, its the way it should be these days!