Anybody using the new T4srus Cone Filter? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Anybody using the new T4srus Cone Filter?

mattsthat
05-11-08, 10:28
As it says on the title really, anyone tried one? any good?

Need to do a full service on the van and would prefer to change the air filter for a better one if it helps breathability. :ILU:

http://www.t4srus.co.uk/Products.asp?pid=152

Cheers
Matt

team french
05-11-08, 11:21
up to you but a general concensus is that the standard air box draws fresh cold air thru the wing vents but with this it draws air from the engine bay with the heat from it also. a few people have gone with a higher flow panel filter replacement for easyer breathing but again this has debateable increases over the standard and also depends on what other mods have been done. the most differance that the cone filter will give is more noise if thats your thing then go for it:D

paul ss
05-11-08, 11:55
just stick to your standard air fillter , saves messing about and just as good if not better .

the air fillter listed can be picked up from your local halfords or motorworld T:

mattsthat
05-11-08, 13:14
cheers guys. I understand what you are saying about the fresh air from the side versus the engine air etc

However, are the replacement panel filters http://www.t4srus.co.uk/Products.asp?pid=119 any better?

Just thinking about being able to re-oil and re-use rather than replace each time. Be inclined to clean the filter more often if I didnt have to replace each time.

Matt

simplepsy
05-11-08, 13:57
The replacement panel filters (k+n green and T4SRUS k+n replica) are reusable, from what I gather...

Whats this oiling business though? I thought you could just replace the filter, job done :confused:

I have a 1.9td if it makes a difference....

mattsthat
05-11-08, 14:14
Re-oil the filter (K&N Style etc) to give it the filtration properties back again (Thats what you used to have to do back in the day)

Dont know if the newer types need it, the standard paper ones certainly dont Si.

simplepsy
05-11-08, 14:39
Not sure then :confused:

I know these ones are washable... not sure what in though! Il give Ade a call later - I need to get some bits from him anyway T:

team french
06-11-08, 07:38
standard paper type filters you throw away. cotton gauze, foam and k+n style etc are washable(manufactures directions for this, as they can vary) and some like k+n need re-oiling as the oil holds the dust (sticky) this allows them to be less restrictive. always have a look for the service kits when buying these kind of filters as they can be pricey( any thing with k+n on the box aint gona be cheap for what it is!) and maybe cheaper to buy oem filters unless you plan to keep the van for 10yrs, or change you filters every 3months. filters will always be a compromise between filtration and breatheability.

Browner
03-12-08, 19:15
Just thought i'd say hello as i've just become a T4 owner(last month) after admiring my brother in laws modded T4 from afar for some time.
I Have fitted this cone filter to my 2.5 tdi 888 special and have to say it does allow the turbo to spin up a bit easier,i fitted it just before i had a remap ( which was well worth the money) so i'd recommend it for the money.

phil
04-12-08, 15:10
I thought that the oil on these kits eventually buggers the MAF up :confused:

Blackett
04-12-08, 17:09
Just thought i'd say hello as i've just become a T4 owner(last month) after admiring my brother in laws modded T4 from afar for some time.
I Have fitted this cone filter to my 2.5 tdi 888 special and have to say it does allow the turbo to spin up a bit easier,i fitted it just before i had a remap ( which was well worth the money) so i'd recommend it for the money.

Turbo spins up easier? Mmmm...as far as I'm aware a diesel engine runs with an excess of air, so doubt if an alternative filter would make any difference to the turbos responsiveness. I would have thought a 2.4D downpipe to decat would give far greater gains for similar money.

Ian. :D

Browner
04-12-08, 19:17
Theres no oil on these , they run dry,i found it easy to fit and allowed the turbo to breathe more easily,certainly works well with the remap.
Bruv in law wants to go down same road now i think after having a drive!!

Gaz.

Browner
04-12-08, 19:22
Whats the difference in the downpipe between the 2.4 & 2.5??
Pardon my ignorance,new to T4,s trying to gain a few extra horses as just come from a mitsi evo 4 and finding the power drop a bit of a challenge.
Gaz.

team french
04-12-08, 19:35
the 2.4 down pipe doesnt have a cat in , 2.5 does, deisels dont need a cat for the mot either:ILU: for more power check the project power thread

king marty
05-12-08, 06:37
Short answer...

YES IM RUNNING ONE ON A 2.5tdi Ex AA VAN

make a little difference i think, im happy with it, real easy to fit,
Unbolt your air box, undo the screw that hold the breather pipe in to the airbox, then clamp on the new cone filter, will need to use some of the spacers provided in the kit, EASY FIT!

phil
05-12-08, 18:44
Theres no oil on these , they run dry,i found it easy to fit and allowed the turbo to breathe more easily,certainly works well with the remap.
Bruv in law wants to go down same road now i think after having a drive!!

Gaz.

Ahh, I see,

I thought it would need oiling like a jetex one I had on my golf years ago.

Ideal if they run dry :)

Browner
07-12-08, 19:00
Hi marty,
Is your motor standard other than the filter??
Gaz.