Panel Gaps [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Panel Gaps

Walesy
08-11-08, 17:58
Hi chaps,

I've seen a 02 Caravelle that i'm going to look at with a view to buying tomorrow. It's a fair distance away from me so i've got a few pics and just wondered if you more experienced lot would check them out for me.

There seems to be a bit of a panel gap between the front n/s wing and the bonnet, is this normal? It's noticeable compared to the other side but i'm not sure if it's just the angle of the pic.

Its probably a stupid question but i'd rather be safe than sorry, i've had too many long journeys only to find poorly described sheds H:

Any info/advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/walesydave/kk.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/walesydave/jj.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/walesydave/a.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/walesydave/GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

mark4
08-11-08, 18:09
In the engine bay there is no pollen filter or housing!! I had the same in mine near enough - you will find out this when you smell exhaust fumes in the cab!!!!

The parts are around 40-50 plus vat from the dealers!

Other wise body looks straight to me

Hope this helps

Mark

Walesy
08-11-08, 18:15
That helps very much and is exactly why I posted this thread T:

I assume you're talking about the hole at the top right of the bay above the battery?

T:

pot4
08-11-08, 18:24
Hi chaps,

I've seen a 02 Caravelle that i'm going to look at with a view to buying tomorrow. It's a fair distance away from me so i've got a few pics and just wondered if you more experienced lot would check them out for me.

There seems to be a bit of a panel gap between the front n/s wing and the bonnet, is this normal? It's noticeable compared to the other side but i'm not sure if it's just the angle of the pic.

Its probably a stupid question but i'd rather be safe than sorry, i've had too many long journeys only to find poorly described sheds H:

Any info/advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/walesydave/kk.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/walesydave/jj.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/walesydave/a.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/walesydave/GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

The gap under the indicator happens quite alot if heavy handed mechanics need to take it off at some point so is probably no need for worrie...T:

rayzor
08-11-08, 18:31
Hi Walesy
Their does appear to be a fair bit of panel gap on the off side however it may be just the way the pic was taken but it does look a little suspect,and their looks to be a fair bit of a gap above the grill and lip of the bonnet on the same side,yes the pollen filter and housing is missing from the nearside of the engine bay.

Walesy
08-11-08, 18:45
Cheers guys,

It's difficult to work out whether it's the angle of the pic or not, especially for the untrained eye like mine! :)

Here's a pic from the front, again it looks pretty straight in this one - it's only really the pic from the n/s front that it looks dodgy.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/walesydave/sdfsd.jpg

rayzor
08-11-08, 19:11
Cheers guys,

It's difficult to work out whether it's the angle of the pic or not, especially for the untrained eye like mine! :)

Here's a pic from the front, again it looks pretty straight in this one - it's only really the pic from the n/s front that it looks dodgy.

Grill and bonnet looks fine in this pic also the gap dont appear half as bad as the other side pic all i can tell you is go have a look mate if your not happy just tell the seller hes a f:cg d:chead and cut your losses would sooner loose 20 or 30 on diesel cost than handing over a few grand hard earned to some chancer good luck whatever you decide T:

SiC
08-11-08, 19:55
Dude, do the new 3 check...

text CTC and a space followed by reg to 83600

Panel gap looks big to me...

check if none genuine headlamp on that side ;)

SiC
08-11-08, 19:57
bolt on that side of slam panel looks cleaner and not rusty compared to other one... probably not related just noticed...:confused:

Walesy
08-11-08, 20:04
Ah , so it does - you've got me proper paranoid now! Rasp:

I'll deffo be doing the text check, I do on every car I buy and it's saved me a couple of times.

I really want this one as it's black for a start :cool: and it has air con, lowish mileage and is well priced :confused:

Cheers for the input fellas :ILU:

statler
08-11-08, 20:05
If you want panel gap fixed, loosen the bolts & fix it I: it's a van, all vans have big panel gaps & it could have been altered by some heavy handed mechanic handling it.
Looking at rest of pics it seems a straight enough van so chin them for a new pollen filter & anything else you can think of, then buy it. :D

steve padda
08-11-08, 20:09
Could be that the front panel has been lowere down for work to be carried out and then not put back to the original gap.
Also beside the pollen filter cover the battery cover is also missing.

Good luck

steve

T:

SiC
08-11-08, 20:12
Why would a heavy handed mechanic put the panel gap out on a wing??? Its bolted on with loads of bolts!?

The only reason it would be out is if it had been off and or everything else was bent...

If it don't look right, especially already in a photo then it probably isn't....

I've owned in the region of seven T4s but probably been to look at over a 100 to find that 7....

Just my opinion :)

statler
08-11-08, 20:16
Why would a heavy handed mechanic put the panel gap out on a wing??? Its bolted on with loads of bolts!?

The only reason it would be out is if it had been off and or everything else was bent...

If it don't look right, especially already in a photo then it probably isn't....

I've owned in the region of seven T4s but probably been to look at over a 100 to find that 7....

Just my opinion :)

I was talking about the bonnet not the wing, I been a coachbuilder for 30 years & van looks fine in pics.

My own van was damaged on every panel when I bought it, yet everyone thinks it looks ace I: I: I:

Walesy
08-11-08, 20:16
It's HPI clear

I'm not bothered if it's had a bump as most vehicles with 100k have, as long as it's been repaired properly its not a problem, if the panels are p1ssed then it hasn't been! I'll ask for a few more pics of that corner from different angles before making the journey (over 200 miles each way)

Any other pearls of wisdom are apreciated! :)

statler
08-11-08, 20:19
It's HPI clear

I'm not bothered if it's had a bump as most vehicles with 100k have, as long as it's been repaired properly its not a problem, if the panels are p1ssed then it hasn't been! I'll ask for a few more pics of that corner from different angles before making the journey (over 200 miles each way)

Any other pearls of wisdom are apreciated! :)

Here's one

Look at side of van in photos, if it was in a crash, sides would show ripples - it doesn't

Here's another
Worry more about service history & engine

Walesy
08-11-08, 20:23
I've always been the other way around, in that I worry more about getting a decent shell as to me engine work is MUCH easier to get sorted than bodywork! - it's all well and good if you're a painter! :)

Like you say, it looks nice and straight (apart from a couple of dinks on the pillar between the p/s front and sliding doors) and the interior looks clean, i'll get a couple more pics before making the journey to make sure there's nothing glaringly obvious.

Cheers for your thoughts! :ILU:

SiC
08-11-08, 20:29
I agree with what you think.... I buy all my T4s on body and paint condition...

I bought a mint white panel van, really straight, full paint, fully modded but with a dead gearbox and no service history for a fraction of what it was worth .... it cost me a box of ebay 75 and 150 labour to swap it over.... to me that was much easier than buying a builders hack with 90k and full history with shagged arches and sills and lots of scrapes!

replacing mechanical parts is bolt on bolt off, getting big vans straight and painted is a pain and expensive if you can't do it yourself....

Walesy
09-11-08, 15:12
Right, I've arranged for a friend of mine who lives about 20 miles away to go and view it for me, it's the exact sort of thing i'm after but having been dissapointed by peoples descriptions so many times i'm too paranoid to spend 5 hours on a train to go and view it without someone checking it first! I:

Cheers for the input fellas :ILU:

vwaddict
09-11-08, 21:39
its not a caravelle though dude not on an 02 plate .all caravelles from 97 on are long nose looks like it could be a transporter so it will be low spec

vwaddict
09-11-08, 21:42
for that money you could get a real caravelle a few years older ,still has keep fit windows and on an 02 will be higher tax band aswell

Walesy
10-11-08, 08:31
Ah ha, I was going to ask about what makes it a caravelle :) - as it hasn't got a sliding door on each side I did wonder! I'm not actually too bothered whether it's a caravelle or not though tbh, I can retro fit leccy windows. How much will the tax be on it then? I can't believe how confusing the tax issue is with these vans!

I think the price is pretty good for a nice clean black 02 window T4 with fsh, air con and less than 100k miles isn't bad.

bigcat
10-11-08, 12:59
Not sure about how much they charge, but, my mate sold a Multivan back last year and the guy who bought it had an AA inspection done.
I was there when the guy from the AA came to check it and was amazed by how thorough a job it was; All mechanicals and electrics ( including jacking up to look at steering / brakes) paint thickness ( to check for replacement panels) and a thorough look at the history etc. He road tested it too.
Big points from that for me were......... 1. the buyer didn't need to travel for a "second look"

And, 2, I'd definately have a vehicle checked by them if it was going to cost more than a couple of grand, having seen how thorough they were.

The AA bloke knew his way round a T4 really well.............and, no, he didn't turn up in one !

Walesy
10-11-08, 15:50
I've had the AA come and inspect cars im selling before, they do route through the vehicle inside out but it's a lot of money that i'd rather spend on the van in other ways, if I was spending much more than a few grand it'd definitely be worth it but on a 6 yr old 100k mile van it's not worth bothering IMO

Anyway, it was definitely getting a mate to view it first, unfortunately the van was much more rough than it looks, despite the dealer telling me that there was no rust my mate found some on the windscreen surround and on a couple of panels, there was also a crack in the rear quarter and a few dents, he advised that it wasn't worth bothering with so that's the end of that :( the search continues! :confused:

SiC
10-11-08, 17:22
btw caravelles don't have a sliding door on both sides in most cases....

its not a defining feature...

rocketron
10-11-08, 17:39
Cheers guys,

that pic is near enough dead straight and there is deffo something happening with the bonnet. apart from that looks really clean.T:

Walesy
10-11-08, 17:50
Meh, cheers for that mate but it wasn't the one anyway! it turned out to be a bit of a shed! I'll keep looking :)

If anyone knows of any gooduns for sale let me know, since my wanted post has now been moved to somewhere I cant find it within this confusing mess, with no pm from whoever it was that moved it! - great forum A: T:

SiC
10-11-08, 19:25
just noticed it appears to be fitted with barndoors not a tailgate.... all velles are tailgate

vwaddict
10-11-08, 21:00
its a transporter

Walesy
10-11-08, 21:09
Its a shed T:

nealglover
10-11-08, 21:12
just a thought, but it looks to me like the bonnet latch may have been pulled for the pic taken from the drivers side ?

Look at the line a couple of inches from the top of the bonnet, doesn't line up where it meets the wing. mine looks like that when I have pulled the bonnet latch.