Forum Community 'Goods and Services Swap Shop' [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Forum Community 'Goods and Services Swap Shop'

So-Kal
10-11-08, 17:17
OK - an idea that I've used in the past but would like other people's thoughts on :

I for one am just too damn poor to be able to afford to do much with my van outside of what I can do myself 'on the cheap'.

Now - my little 'line' is that I used to work for Bentley, so have a passing knowledge on how to trim things inside a van. I'm not professing to be an expert, or be able to retrim seats in leather, etc (as I don't have the facilities) but I can do carpetting and headlining, door cards and simple stuff like that.

So where am I going with this??

Well, what about getting a list together of people willing to offer their services (or even goods) on a 'contra' basis.

The exchange of services could be some trimming in exchange for some spanner work, welding in exchange for some spraying - that sort of thing. Or even (as I did before) some sort of service in exchange for goods (I trimmed the back of a van in exchange for some wheels, as an example)

What do people think???

rocketron
10-11-08, 17:53
sounds like it could work. bit of the community feel that the forums lost.T:

RaCiNg SnAkE
10-11-08, 18:05
Sounds like a great idea. I'm prepared to offer vagcom and spanner services to anyone local to me, or who whoever wants to travel.

Mark_T4
10-11-08, 18:26
also sounds good, i work as a bench joiner/toymaker

so can make things out of wood if anyone needs,

for example :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/Cardifffdubber/DSC07615.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/Cardifffdubber/DSC07616.jpg

loud ed
10-11-08, 20:21
also sounds good, i work as a bench joiner/toymaker

so can make things out of wood if anyone needs,

for example :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/Cardifffdubber/DSC07615.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/Cardifffdubber/DSC07616.jpg
i do much the same but im a bit further south

reimoboy
10-11-08, 20:32
i do much the same but im a bit further south

Ed, not got much to offer in return but I could do with some of your expertise in sorting out my ICE T: ( not too loud tho')

Simon :)

BANANAVAN
10-11-08, 20:33
ok before anyone puts it
I dont think people should offer SEX

jane/rob&dennis
10-11-08, 20:34
Ed, not got much to offer in return but I could do with some of your expertise in sorting out my ICE T: ( not too loud tho')

Simon :)

must think up something funny, must think up something funny!H:

paul ss
10-11-08, 20:39
if there is anything i can do am always up for saving money or making it LOL:

joiner and plumber and dab hand with the spanner's

used to work for autotrail who build motorhome's am sure everyone know's who they are so shant go into detail as can google it for info .

then worked for elite camper's and that didn't last long due money reason's and the attitude of some pepole there .

but mainly do building work now , bathroom's , kitchen's , platering , plumbing just genreal building work etc well when i ctualy do anything tend to be on forum more than anything LOL:build van's for freind's and that now just bit of beer money when i have time .

as for spaner monkey , if you won't to go fast am your man LOL: always fixed my own car's and mapped them so decent with spanner's do all my own engine rebuild's and gearbox rebuil's etc

so if anyone local need's a hand or willing to travel give me a shout am always floating about and happy to help

wind welder
10-11-08, 20:46
I can offer:-

bulkhead removal,
tail gate swap,
Eberspacher fitting
c/locking fitting
Elec/window fitting
light machining,
and of course Welding (mostly stainless)

I can only offer oral sex, it's good to talk!:D:eek:

Trev.

So-Kal
10-11-08, 21:18
do all my own engine rebuild's and gearbox rebuil's etc

Would you be able to do that 5th gear ratio change??

paul ss
10-11-08, 21:25
Would you be able to do that 5th gear ratio change??

yea no worries , spent plenty of time's collecting cog.s of elvingnton drag strip in my car LOL:

dont mind doing stuff providing i got time as got fair few project's on at the minute but 5th gear is only few hr job looking at it T:

scruffyherbert
10-11-08, 22:10
Bit naff but I'm a dab hand with the sewing machine. Could knock up curtains, etc.
Used to teach sewing a few years ago.

So-Kal
11-11-08, 07:53
Sounds like we have the starts of a good plan here......

Now - there's a couple of ways we can do this :

The first way is to allow people just to strike up deals between themselves and do a 'swap' that both parties agree to and are happy with. It's simple, but it might be kind of limited..........

The second way is a 'voucher' type scheme and could be a bit more versitile - let me explain........

Let's say I want Paul to sort my 5th gear out. We agree what parts I need to buy, where to meet, etc and then agree on a time frame for the job (for the sake of argument, 3 hours). After the work is complete, I give Paul 'vouchers' (tokens, credit - call it what you will) for 3 hours work.

Seeing as (hypothetically) he doesn't want any carpetting doing, I can't offer him a direct swap - but he takes he 3 hours of 'credit' to Trev (wind welder) for 3 hours of welding work. Trev then uses those credits as he sees fit and so it goes on.....

The only thing that might need agreeing is the 'worth' of someone's time if it comes down to exchanging that time for goods, but maybe someone can be elected as an impartial judge in such matters??

Anyway - thoughts??????

scruffyherbert
11-11-08, 09:31
I reckon you're on to something with this scheme Keith T:

I don't see why both options couldn't work.
If 2 individuals are happy with a direct swap of services then that could work a treat.

I like the voucher idea though, especially if you could keep your "credit" totting up or using it elsewhere.
Would something like the following be a decent example:

I want my van spraying matt black (outside only). Just a decent "home" spray job by someone who knows what they are doing. I'd do the prep and provide the paint if they could do the actually spraying. For this example only, say the spraying takes 4 hours, I obviously then owe 4 hours.

Now the only thing I could offer in return is knocking up some curtain sets. If the person spraying my van wanted a set, and they provided the material, then say that could be an hour off the time I owe them for spraying.
I would then owe the sprayer 3 hours. I could then offer to make 3 more sets for different members of the scheme and they could owe the sprayer an hour each. The sprayer now has 3 hours credit.

Or, if the sprayer didn't want any curtains I could make 4 sets for different memebers and they then owe the sprayer an hour each. Thus the sprayer has 4 hours of credit.

Does that make sense? It seemed to when I re-read it but it may have flaws in it.

I think a person or 2 to keep "central" records of who owes what to whom would be an advisable direction.

rjm
11-11-08, 09:43
Sounds good to me, as we could offer help in lowering or ICE install on the same basis.

t4world
11-11-08, 10:05
I'd like to chuck in the mix here use of my workshop for MEMBERS to work on there vans in, have mentioned it before but long lost now. I am all up for some community spirit.

I am based near Ashford in Kent and know what it's like to work in the road, driveway or just even outside. In return I would want.......... nothing! Just the good name of T4 WORLD spread around lol. I can offer help and advise on all aspects of conversions at the same time as that is what we do.

Click my sig for contact details. :cool:

So-Kal
11-11-08, 11:39
Scruffy - you're spot on with the way you read it.

Funny enough, I guess it's based on the old barter thing - only my idea for this also bears some resemlence to an old 'baby sitting' circle we had when I was in the RAF.

I might need to do some thinking on this, but I'll put it past Dave and Jimbo to see if it's OK.

We also have to ensure there's no arguing over who owes who what, so we need to be pretty lenient with things and not go mad with it - after all, all we're really doing is exchanging favours so that none of us have to spend pots of cash that I for one certainly don't have...........

Anyway - keep the ideas coming in - if anyone can think of ways to make the scheme run smoothly, or just wants to add their ideas, then please feel free.......... :)

rocketron
11-11-08, 11:56
this sounds like a cracking idea. paul i would be up for a gearboxratio change.T: now what could i offer in return. free holiday accommodation in cornwall. :D

RaCiNg SnAkE
11-11-08, 12:23
I think the voucher/tokens scheme is a good way to go. They would need to be an electronic version though - could a record be kept on this site? The bonus of this scheme is that people who don't currently need anything (but who may well do in the future) could offer their favours out now, saving up to reclaim them at a later date. This could be a very interesting scheme! A:

Palmer
11-11-08, 13:26
Not quite T4 but I'm a snowboard instructor at the snowdome in Tamworth

Would be happy to join in if my service is required

swaffs
11-11-08, 13:46
I may not have any vehicular skills, but can offer photography (family portrait anyone?) or maybe access to motorsport events around the UK.

That or any IT work...

Could really do with some conversions experience to help with my bare panel van.

paul ss
11-11-08, 14:03
I may not have any vehicular skills, but can offer photography (family portrait anyone?) or maybe access to motorsport events around the UK.

That or any IT work...

Could really do with some conversions experience to help with my bare panel van.

will pm you mate in about 10minsT:

simplepsy
11-11-08, 14:05

Cough * Yes Please :D

paul ss
11-11-08, 14:54
i think the voucer sceme is a great idea myself , that way pepole can then save them for when they actualy need something done .

would need to be done correct though and someone would need to create some sort of device to stop it been copied due to the fact there aint nothing to stop someone grabbing a scanner and giving themself a few voucer's

as am sure some pepole may wish to sell them if they have no use for anything .

as can appreicate everyone is not going to have skill's to do stuff on other's van but within there job they maybe able to offer some other service that could be benifical .

even though i am capable of doing most stuff on my van am sure would still use the voucher's so i could be lazy lol saying that i cant watch others work does my head right in so would end up joining in no doubt LOL:

and just for refrance all those pepole that have sent me a pm regarding mapping , i only do this on my own car's due down to insurance reason's and if your engine went pop 2months down the line i dont want the hassle , plus i always live map on the road instead of crappy rollers as i dont like them myself so this shant be a service am afraid .

paul ss
11-11-08, 22:12
take it as no more taker's on this then , i just see it as working together to get the same job done but for much less than it would charge .

obliviosly some pepole may not be happy with other's effort's some are profectionist like my self and want everything to be spot on .

paul ss
11-11-08, 22:15
this sounds like a cracking idea. paul i would be up for a gearboxratio change.T: now what could i offer in return. free holiday accommodation in cornwall. :D

well get all bit's that are required together and will take drive to cornwall after xmas and do it , going to do my mate's van this weekend so we shall see if it make's that much diffrence .

i used a carvelle final drive in my own that came from a fooked box , can tell noticable diffrence :cool:

m4rty2472
11-11-08, 22:17
I am lovin' this idea!! As it happens I am after a re-spray if theres any sprayers out there? Can't offer much but I can make a good work bitch, hell I'll even put on a gimp suit if thats your thing!!!
SO, just houw many hours would I have to pimp myself for a blow.......errrr I mean sprayjob.:D

nealglover
11-11-08, 22:27
not T4 related (and not helpful if your a plumber like Paulss) but I would be happy to offer any plumbing assistance.

plus anyone who wants bathrooms, boilers, electric showers trade price I can sort it out.
with delivery included.

durrsaku
11-11-08, 22:36
I think the voucher idea although very good at first it could prove tricky to run and get abused.
I wouldn't personally subscribe to it. On the positive note i would like to say that if i can offer a service i would like to offer that for free not expecting anything in return and hopefully someone would be able to help if i needed any help. We could perhaps havea feedback ratting maybe yes so at least people can see that one is not just take take take but also has offered something at some point.
Anyway i could offer basic maintanance for the T4. (oil change, filters, springs)
I have got Vag Com,
I could install Cruise Control, or Intercooler,
Help with advise

T:

tidytransporters
11-11-08, 22:42

My switch stinks, i could do with some help

I can make panels, cover with leather, paint and smooootthhh stuff, set up your ice, dvd ps2, lower your van, paint, even make tea! anything to sort out my switch!

T4 Tom
11-11-08, 22:43
OK, I need loads of stuff LOL:

I can offer:

I.T. Services including:
Remote I.T. Support (I can take control of your PC from here and hopefully fix it)
Software & Hardware Upgrades & Repairs of both Windows & Macintosh Systems
Network Installations (Both Wired & Wireless)
Web & Email Hosting

As for what I'd like in return... too much to list

Cheers

Tom

Cosha
11-11-08, 22:58
CNC machine (My own built table top size)
Rhino
CAD
Lathes (Wood, Metal)
PC Support
Photoshop Support
ICE No Problem

sounds like a good idea and will be nice to meet people

T4Tasty
12-11-08, 23:09
I'd like to chuck in the mix here use of my workshop for MEMBERS to work on there vans in, have mentioned it before but long lost now. I am all up for some community spirit.

I am based near Ashford in Kent and know what it's like to work in the road, driveway or just even outside. In return I would want.......... nothing! Just the good name of T4 WORLD spread around lol. I can offer help and advise on all aspects of conversions at the same time as that is what we do.

Click my sig for contact details. :cool:

Sweet - hoping to move to Kent if my place ever sells in Poole!

BradT:

rocketron
16-11-08, 13:00
can we make this a sticky please admin.T:

Dazboi
16-11-08, 13:55
OK - an idea that I've used in the past but would like other people's thoughts on :

I for one am just too damn poor to be able to afford to do much with my van outside of what I can do myself 'on the cheap'.

Now - my little 'line' is that I used to work for Bentley, so have a passing knowledge on how to trim things inside a van. I'm not professing to be an expert, or be able to retrim seats in leather, etc (as I don't have the facilities) but I can do carpetting and headlining, door cards and simple stuff like that.

So where am I going with this??

Well, what about getting a list together of people willing to offer their services (or even goods) on a 'contra' basis.

The exchange of services could be some trimming in exchange for some spanner work, welding in exchange for some spraying - that sort of thing. Or even (as I did before) some sort of service in exchange for goods (I trimmed the back of a van in exchange for some wheels, as an example)

What do people think???

sounds like the age old tradition of bartering, ur skills in exchange for something you need, been going on since before money was invented

Dazboi
16-11-08, 13:56

That or any IT work...

i can vouch for the quality of the pics!

Bluehawk
16-11-08, 14:52
I can offer fibreglass work. Used to make fibreglass garage doors then moved up into making boats. I can also do basic woodwork and photography.

Big Bad Bear
16-11-08, 14:59
I can offer fibreglass work. Used to make fibreglass garage doors then moved up into making boats. I can also do basic woodwork and photography.

Hey Bluehawk can ya make me one of these?????

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb312/chrisclay49/EcoBoatPA1_800x529.jpg

H:H:H:H:LOL:LOL:

stridey
16-11-08, 15:16
Ive always wanted one of these....no SERIOUSLY!!!

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v327/voyagerwsr/005.jpg

Bluehawk
16-11-08, 15:35
Hey Bluehawk can ya make me one of these?????

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb312/chrisclay49/EcoBoatPA1_800x529.jpg

H:H:H:H:LOL:LOL:

Hmmm, may take me a while!:eek:

naff44
14-12-08, 07:43
i work for a windscreen company so i can offer removal of or fitting of glass etc

croakey
14-12-08, 11:58
havent even got a van yet (but doesnt hurt to get some vouchers in the bag)

Motor trade (albeit non vag) can offer trade pricing on parts, and also the odd HPI check if required :)

fatboy2
15-12-08, 19:04
im a community psychiatric nurse working in substance missuse. thats anything from cannabis up to class A and alcohol problems. if anyone wants general conffidential advice PM me its all free promise!!!! ;)

Climberian
15-12-08, 19:41
Have had a go at the one to one work for spares with keith :cool: top bloke good at what he does and this is a great idea keith lets hopes it gets of the ground *<:-)>

So-Kal
15-12-08, 19:44
Cheers Ian - so the carpetting has all stayed up then?? I:

It was our little 'exchange of goods for services' that sort of kicked this idea off in my head - after all, it did us both a favour and obviously saved us both some money - which in the current climate, is what it's all about.

To reitterate what I'm willing to offer :

Carpetting (on ply, on metalwork - that sort of thing), headliner retrimming, dash re-spraying - basically any of the interior work you see inside my van - either with me doing all the work, or even just lending a helping hand or giving tips and tricks to make the job easier.

Having now done it myself, I'll also help out with lowering (as long as it doesn't require blow torches!!)

Plus there's the whole 1.9 Project Power stuff - I can fit boost gauges, remove EGRs and do the whole boost/fuel increases............

And if there happens to be an Eberspacher fitter who wants any of that work done, or an auto-electrician who can fit split charge kits, then GET IN TOUCH!! :)

Come on people - 'tis the season to be jolly and all that...............

rocketron
15-12-08, 19:47
i think this is a top idea and it should be made a sticky.:D

paul ss
15-12-08, 20:24
keith you fancy doing my carpeting cause i cant be botherd LOL: well i will give you a hand done it a few times just boredem sets in when comes to carpeting and i always end up with banging my head all time LOL:

So-Kal
15-12-08, 20:27
Paul - no probs mate - PM me and we'll sort it out.............

It'll be after Crimbo now, as I'm working pretty solid all through December, but this is going to work out mutually beneficial, I reckon..... :)

paul ss
15-12-08, 20:29
Paul - no probs mate - PM me and we'll sort it out.............

It'll be after Crimbo now, as I'm working pretty solid all through December, but this is going to work out mutually beneficial, I reckon..... :)

sometime in january is best for me as got **** loads on myself at the minute to

do your 5th gear upgrade and intercooler sound fair enough ?

So-Kal
15-12-08, 20:32
Job's a belter, as they say mate......... :)

Don't know my shifts yet for Jan - but we'll sort it soon enough........

As I say - PM me so we can sort out the details :)

Climberian
15-12-08, 21:10
All stayed up keith top job lookes like its going to get off the ground sooner than u thought good luck :ILU:

l34sm
22-04-09, 13:43
I can offer maths/it/science tuition, dont know what i need though :S

Munch
22-04-09, 18:24
i can offer small rust patch repair / panel repair just to get rid of them unsightly rust patches on sills , arches etc obviously not full resprays but i do a trick job with a spray tin and some wet and dry .

also can offer ball joint replaicment , discs and pads , bushe's hoses , help with lowering , carpeting , woordwork , basic fabrication. etc always up for a challenge , in lincolnshire area .

(obviously you supply the gubbins i give in the token hours T:)

vwt4ever
30-04-09, 21:57
What a fantastic idea - i would like to join in - i dont have many skills with spanners but

I can offer -

Pc support - if your pulling your hair out - your computer getting the better of you- is it refusing you access to the net - wot no t4 forum.

Basic/intermediate Photoshop support - trying to do something but cant-

Basic website help or advice

Basic software help - what software is best - how to use it? basic knowledge of dreamweaver,frontpage,photoshop, desktop publishing,cd/dvd backups, - Want to produce a calendar,greeting card, etc

Photography - Do you want your pride and joy hanging on the wall ? New van - would you like your van conversion photographed showing your hard work, dogs/kids/days out etc (any excuse to get the camera out)

Help with converting your van - not bad with the power tools, help to insulate, board, and carpet, bed, storage etc
Just love converting t4's from empty shells to camper/dayvan/surfvan, ok just offering a helping hand to hold a door while you fit it, not worried about getting my hands dirty.

At the moment I need help with

Fitting bonded side rear windows, and a couple of sunroofs, not sure i have the bottle to cut my van without supervision.! before they get broken.

Would love a respray and some bodywork - happy to help or someone to teach me how to respray it.!

Looking for a garage,barn out building to borrow/rent/etc close by where i can try and respray/ give the van a little tlc. if no one can respray it for me - would love to give it a new look - its been a battered builders van so its faded white - just looking at the vans on here - i want one like these!

Looking to replace the cambelt etc on my 2.4 as i dont have any service history and i have a oil leak by the belt which needs sorting.
Any other mechanic work that crops up.

If you need help/support with any of the above please contact me - if you can help me please get in touch

cheers

snigvan
30-04-09, 23:09
Brilliant to find this thread. It's how things should be.
Done most of my van so reasonable knowledge now.
Instruct in the outdoors in the Lakes so happy to swap for fun days out on the water, rocks or the hills. Can suggest good parking spots too if your are staying up this way.