Claiming a abbandoned vehicle [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Claiming a abbandoned vehicle

Azim
15-11-08, 13:11
Need to know the correct proceedure to claiming a abandonned vehicle .

So it can be mine with no legal ownership problems after i spend a small fortune on it .

waxer
15-11-08, 13:22
I think you have to go through the DVLA but here is some reading for you
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?f=23&h=0&t=289007

nealglover
15-11-08, 13:26
sounds interesting :D

What have you found ?

Azim
15-11-08, 13:33
sounds interesting :D

What have you found ?

Someone from europe left there LHD T4 behind .
Dont want to go into too much detail at the mo , but its been abandonned for over a year .

Approached DVLA they said report it to local police and local council .
Then talk to a legal advisor (Citizens Advice Beuro) regaurding ownership.

Thats as far as i got

nealglover
15-11-08, 13:52
sounds good mate, don't blame you for not giving any details away :D

I wish someone would abandon something like that outside my house.

Personally I would go to Citizens Advice first before the council or the police, otherwise you might find it just vanishes before you get chance to claim it ?

Azim
15-11-08, 13:57
sounds good mate, don't blame you for not giving any details away :D

I wish someone would abandon something like that outside my house.

Personally I would go to Citizens Advice first before the council or the police, otherwise you might find it just vanishes before you get chance to claim it ?

Pulled it into my yard ,as the owner never returnedI: .

Azim
15-11-08, 16:05
DVLA cant track people based in Europe ,so theres little hope of contacting the owner .

vwaddict
15-11-08, 16:23
is it on foreign plates if so remove them and just register it like you would if you were importing an old veedub from the states or something i registered a bay window a few years back that had no plates and came from switzerland it had no papers whatsoever i had it mot d insured it and registered it with no probs like you said dvla cant contact the previous owners if they dont know who they are .of course if its on british plates none of this is relevant T:

Kleftiwallah
15-11-08, 17:39
On abandoned vehicles. a car was abandoned outside my Lad's house, he called the authorities, a sticker appeared on the window. He managed to fill the car with 19 duff motorcycle tyres! But don't worry about it being overweight, he kindly removed the battery! A few days later it was gone! Cheers, Tony.

stridey
15-11-08, 17:50
I once had someone abandon their vehicle in my private parking space when I had an allocated space at an old house... It wasnt just someone parking without any consideration as it was only a small block of houses and no one knew whos car it was. The spaces were tucked round the back hidden from the road.

The police wernt interesested as it was in a private space. It was there for 4 days peeing me off, luckilly a neighbour was happy for me to park in their space.

So... I phoned the police again asking how long before it would be legally mine. They couldnt answer.....

But when I told them it was a Ferrari, they came round in 10 minutes.:eek:

Sadly it was a black one, and 'only' a 355... but with the policeman doing a check we got his details and sheepishly when we rang him to tell him we had his car he admitted it started overheating, needed to park somewhere safe, sharpish and he'd forgotton where he'd parked it!:eek::eek::eek:

Azim
15-11-08, 19:47
is it on foreign plates if so remove them and just register it like you would if you were importing an old veedub from the states or something i registered a bay window a few years back that had no plates and came from switzerland it had no papers whatsoever i had it mot d insured it and registered it with no probs like you said dvla cant contact the previous owners if they dont know who they are .of course if its on british plates none of this is relevant T:

It was on foriegn plates ,but they have been removed before it came into my possession .
I cant find out what the number plate was as they were removed ,and nobody seems to know .

I dont think there is any problem registaring it in my name .
Legal ownership is what im concerned about ,dont want the problem of owner reclaiming it at a later date.(me out of pocket).

How do i deal with the issue of ownership:confused: ????,

vwaddict
15-11-08, 22:07
It was on foriegn plates ,but they have been removed before it came into my possession .
I cant find out what the number plate was as they were removed ,and nobody seems to know .

Legal ownership is what im concerned about ,dont want the problem of owner reclaiming it at a later date.(me out of pocket).

if its registered on british plates how are they going to know im guessing the owner is no longer around .wouldnt worry about knowing the number its not required .but possesion is 9 tenths of the law as they say

Azim
15-11-08, 22:20
if its registered on british plates how are they going to know im guessing the owner is no longer around .wouldnt worry about knowing the number its not required .but possesion is 9 tenths of the law as they say

It seems to me that its the remaining 10 percent that i need to worry about .

The van even with new british plates is still eaisily recognisable to the owner (if he comes back).

Lets just say its not standard (but in a good way ).

You can be the registered keeper but not the owner ,so i need to know how to go about making her legally mine .

Rich T
15-11-08, 22:23
Personally I would contact the local authorities and tell them the whole story before trying to claim ownership of a vehicle. Read the bit about the Ferrari it could be the same for this owner, especially being in a foreign country. Imagine of you were the owner of this vehicle and you wanted it back. If you have been in the vehicle then I think it would be very easy to work out which country it was from (from articles in the vehicle, I buy a lot of vans and there's never been one yet that hasn't had some sort of ID or information left in it) and then the right thing to do would be to contact that country's embassy and chat to them. I guarantee working out the country of origin or even the VIN number will lead you to the owner. If it came to it the VIN number will lead Volkswagen Europe to the vehicle's identity, reg plate, country of origin and to the owner.

I don't think it's right to be poaching someone elses property, if you had a conscience you would go through the right avenues instead of trying to do something a bit backhanded. I went round Spain with some friends a few years ago in a 66 Splitscreen and had to leave the vehicle there. My friend, the owner left it there for a while and came back and it was safe and sound. Imagine it was your vehicle and you had to leave it for whatever reason. A T4 is not a cheap, invaluable vehicle in any country so why not try and get it back to its owner instead of trying to rob it?

Rich T
15-11-08, 22:24

The van even with new british plates is still eaisily recognisable to the owner (if he comes back).

You can be the registered keeper but not the owner ,so i need to know how to go about making her legally mine .

Why not leave it for them, or get it taken to the authorities to take it to a safe place so they have a chance to get it back? Save some money up and buy one legit? I can't believe I'm reading this!

cally
15-11-08, 22:29
And he's pulled it into his driveway......:eek:...LOL:LOL:LOL:

Rich T
15-11-08, 22:30
And he's pulled it into his driveway......:eek:...LOL:LOL:LOL:

Criminal!! :c

cally
15-11-08, 22:34
Tis a bit nawty.......I:

Rich T
15-11-08, 22:39

go and buy one through the proper channels, meet the owner, trade some pound sheets, get the V5 and take it home! T:

cally
15-11-08, 22:42
go and buy one through the proper channels, meet the owner, trade some pound sheets, get the V5 and take it home! T:

Funny you should say that, i got mine that way...I:...LOL:...

Rich T
15-11-08, 22:46
Funny you should say that, i got mine that way...I:...LOL:...

what is this guy on? can't believe it.........this guy is thinking this........then putting his thoughts up in public.......and then he's got a load of tips on getting away with it as well!! I'm sorry but going on the information in this thread I think it's bang out of order and anyone encouraging this behaviour should be ashamed and i hope one day you find yourselves at the receiving end of this situation.

nealglover
15-11-08, 22:47
Criminal!! :c

Easy tiger, you can disagree without being abusive.

cally
15-11-08, 22:50
I cant believe he pulled it into his driveway....:eek::eek:....

vwaddict
15-11-08, 22:51
Personally I would contact the local authorities and tell them the whole story before trying to claim ownership of a vehicle. Read the bit about the Ferrari it could be the same for this owner, especially being in a foreign country. Imagine of you were the owner of this vehicle and you wanted it back. If you have been in the vehicle then I think it would be very easy to work out which country it was from (from articles in the vehicle, I buy a lot of vans and there's never been one yet that hasn't had some sort of ID or information left in it) and then the right thing to do would be to contact that country's embassy and chat to them. I guarantee working out the country of origin or even the VIN number will lead you to the owner. If it came to it the VIN number will lead Volkswagen Europe to the vehicle's identity, reg plate, country of origin and to the owner.

I don't think it's right to be poaching someone elses property, if you had a conscience you would go through the right avenues instead of trying to do something a bit backhanded. I went round Spain with some friends a few years ago in a 66 Splitscreen and had to leave the vehicle there. My friend, the owner left it there for a while and came back and it was safe and sound. Imagine it was your vehicle and you had to leave it for whatever reason. A T4 is not a cheap, invaluable vehicle in any country so why not try and get it back to its owner instead of trying to rob it?

hang on dude theres a big diferance between aferrari left for 4 days and a van left for over a year .
firstly it has to be out of tax .im surprised dvla havent crushed it .
as there are no pics its hard to judge the condition .
not sure of english law but up here it may be differant .if a vehicle is left /abandoned up here within a few days it will have a police aware sticker put on it.if its taxed it may be left a few weeks if not it will be lifted within a week usually and impounded then more than likely crushed .like i said not much details but not all t4s are worth a fortune

cally
15-11-08, 22:52
they havnt crushed it cos he got it on his driveway.... prob covered up...I:...LOL:

vwaddict
15-11-08, 22:56
they havnt crushed it cos he got it on his driveway.... prob covered up...I:...LOL:

i dont believe at any time the guy said it was covered up nor did he mention how long its been in his driveway i think you should have all the facts before jumping in with both feet abandoned vehicles are a big problem there are firms in business to remove them why shouldnt someone who is likely to save it have it rather than a goverment hired firm who will simply scrap it or crush it

Azim
15-11-08, 23:01
HAR HAR HAR !!!!!!!!!

Lets get this clear ,im no criminal .

I approached the police about this vehicle and Dvla only to get no real advice or help about tracing the owners.

The owner of the property wher the vehicle was left ,tried to contact the owner of the vehicle but got nowhere .
He was gonna scrap her to get rid ,so i took her from him for a reasonable sum of money .

I parked her off road as she was without tax or insurance or mot .

This is the stage im at ,at the moment .

Am i criminal if ive approached the police ,Dvla, and this forum ?????

cally
15-11-08, 23:01
I never said he HAD it covered .... i said he "PROB" had it covered IN A JOKEY WAY... HENCE THE SMILIES...... and he has got it in his driveway regardless how long its been there, its there.... Rasp:.... time for bed for some i think....:cool:

cally
15-11-08, 23:03
why didnt you say that in first place....I:

vwaddict
15-11-08, 23:04
why didnt you say that in first place....I:

did you read the thread from the beginning I:

Rich T
15-11-08, 23:08
HAR HAR HAR !!!!!!!!!

Lets get this clear ,im no criminal .

I approached the police about this vehicle and Dvla only to get no real advice or help about tracing the owners.

The owner of the property wher the vehicle was left ,tried to contact the owner of the vehicle but got nowhere .
He was gonna scrap her to get rid ,so i took her from him for a reasonable sum of money .

I parked her off road as she was without tax or insurance or mot .

This is the stage im at ,at the moment .

Am i criminal if ive approached the police ,Dvla, and this forum ?????

Sorry i don't want to get too involved but surely that is a conflicting statement:

"The owner of the property wher the vehicle was left ,tried to contact the owner of the vehicle but got nowhere ."

And:

"He was gonna scrap her to get rid ,so i took her from him for a reasonable sum of money ."

I don't see why you have the right to seize the vehicle after trying to contact the owner. It is the councils right and as we all know councils will spend a lot of money on completely the wrong things so i'm sure they can get the vehicle recovered and dealt with as they see fit.

If you bought the vehicle and the guy was going to scrap it, I think that you will find that you can't scrap a van without the right documentation and secondly if you buy a vehicle even off a complete alien you should check ID etc etc etc.

Up to you I just hope you play things honestly and by the book.

cally
15-11-08, 23:09
mmmmm.....DID YOU.... it dont so nowt like he just explained fella......

it came across like it was just left outside his house on street....

didnt say nowt bout being left on private land.... Rasp:

Rich T
15-11-08, 23:14
Need to know the correct proceedure to claiming a abandonned vehicle .

So it can be mine with no legal ownership problems after i spend a small fortune on it .

Dont want to go into too much detail at the mo , but its been abandonned for over a year .

Thats as far as i got

Pulled it into my yard ,as the owner never returnedI: .

VW Addict did you actually read this thread from the beginning? Either he bought the van legit or he didn't.

vwaddict
15-11-08, 23:14

Thats as far as i got

key words cally were over a year ,dvla ,police and citizens advice beuro .
not skimask ,crowbar ,couple of dodgy geezers ,large cover
moto give benefit of doubt till all the facts are disclosed T:

Rich T
15-11-08, 23:18
I have reported this thread to the Moderators of the forum as I think that something is happening that is untoward here. I have quoted all of the the guys threads that is asking the questions. I think this is completely criminal looking at the posts that have been made and i would suggest parties that don't know the score refrain from posting until it is resolved.

I mean how would you feel if it was one of your vans?

vwaddict
15-11-08, 23:19
VW Addict did you actually read this thread from the beginning? Either he bought the van legit or he didn't.

i noticed you missed out his first 2 posts where he stated he had contacted dvla the police and the citizens advice and the fact it has been lying for over a year and the fact he was asking for advice as how to aquire it legally not how to steal it .if it had been lying on public ground it would have been crushed long ago .the fact it was on someone else private land is the only reason it hasnt

Azim
15-11-08, 23:20
Sorry i don't want to get too involved but surely that is a conflicting statement:

"The owner of the property wher the vehicle was left ,tried to contact the owner of the vehicle but got nowhere ."

And:

"He was gonna scrap her to get rid ,so i took her from him for a reasonable sum of money ."

I don't see why you have the right to seize the vehicle after trying to contact the owner. It is the councils right and as we all know councils will spend a lot of money on completely the wrong things so i'm sure they can get the vehicle recovered and dealt with as they see fit.

If you bought the vehicle and the guy was going to scrap it, I think that you will find that you can't scrap a van without the right documentation and secondly if you buy a vehicle even off a complete alien you should check ID etc etc etc.

Up to you I just hope you play things honestly and by the book.

I dont think its a conflicting statement .
The vehicle owner was could not be traced by the property owner ,
so he decides hes goona scrap it to get rid .
I offer him a sum of money to take it off his hands rather than scrap it .

I try to trace the owner through various avenues Police ,dvla ,forum .

The council would have scrapped her for not being legal .
dont think they would have tried to trace the owner across Europe .

cally
15-11-08, 23:20
better than just saying "register it i've done it"...... before you know all the facts then aint it... you didnt know the "facts" when you give your opinion so wtf....:eek:

I dont really care what the guy does.....H:H:H:

vwaddict
15-11-08, 23:21
I have reported this thread to the Moderators of the forum as I think that something is happening that is untoward here. I have quoted all of the the guys threads that is asking the questions. I think this is completely criminal looking at the posts that have been made and i would suggest parties that don't know the score refrain from posting until it is resolved.

I mean how would you feel if it was one of your vans?

i wouldnt leave one of my vans on someone elses ( who i didnt know ) land for over a year without mentioning it would you get real dude he is not asking how to steal it he was asking if anyone knew the correct procedure what is your problem

Rich T
15-11-08, 23:22
i noticed you missed out his first 2 posts where he stated he had contacted dvla the police and the citizens advice and the fact it has been lying for over a year and the fact he was asking for advice as how to aquire it legally not how to steal it .if it had been lying on public ground it would have been crushed long ago .the fact it was on someone else private land is the only reason it hasnt

I'd check that again bud I think all of his posts are there, i haven't edited the post.

wind welder
15-11-08, 23:25
Hi all,

Have some people just got back from the pub by any chance????????I:

Rich T
15-11-08, 23:26
i wouldnt leave one of my vans on someone elses ( who i didnt know ) land for over a year without mentioning it would you get real dude he is not asking how to steal it he was asking if anyone knew the correct procedure what is your problem

Maybe have a read again of what he's typed when you havn't had a belly full, he clearly states that "He pulled it into his yard" the good bloke that he is!

He also says he paid a man for his van that he' s never been able to trace! :no

vwaddict
15-11-08, 23:27
better than just saying "register it i've done it"...... before you know all the facts then aint it... you didnt know the "facts" when you give your opinion so wtf....:eek:

I dont really care what the guy does.....H:H:H:

i knew the facts that were relevant .dont you watch telly "pay your road tax or your vehicle can be crushed " the dvla werent interested because it was on private land .the police arent interested unless they can charge someone with something lets face it they dont even chase tourists for parking or speeding fines because its not worth it

Rich T
15-11-08, 23:32
i knew the facts that were relevant .dont you watch telly "pay your road tax or your vehicle can be crushed " the dvla werent interested because it was on private land .the police arent interested unless they can charge someone with something lets face it they dont even chase tourists for parking or speeding fines because its not worth it

right I'm off it's too late,

VW Addict not sure if you guys are partners in crime or something but he clearly says that he found it on the road and this guy pulled it into his driveway. Had he just left it I'm sure it would have been dealt with by now. The council would either crush it or auction it. I'm only stating that the right thing to do would be to leave it alone nothing else. This guy has complicated the issue by moving the vehicle, him saying into his drive could really mean up his farm track and into his barn for all you know. I have absolutely nothing to gain from arguing the toss, I just think that T4 drivers from whatever country should be left to it and supported not have their vehicle moved, hidden or whatever.

vwaddict
15-11-08, 23:32
Maybe have a read again of what he's typed when you havn't had a belly full, he clearly states that "He pulled it into his yard" the good bloke that he is!

i think its you whose had a belly full dude .he pulled it into his yard a year after it had been abandoned and from someones private property that quite rightly wanted it shifted if the owner turned up the guy whose property it was left on would be within his rights to charge him storage for a year at what ever price he feels fit probably more than it was worth

Azim
15-11-08, 23:35

I paid money to the man whos house the vehicle was left at .

Call it wrong but coulnt let him scrap it .

Rich T
15-11-08, 23:40
I paid money to the man whos house the vehicle was left at .

Call it wrong but coulnt let him scrap it .

If this is the case then fine. Going on the other stuff you wrote it looked pretty conflicting. I have absolutely no interest in this and nothing to gain either way. So i just hope you play fair.

nealglover
15-11-08, 23:47
Azim, to answer your question.

You can never be the Legal Owner of the vehicle without the consent of whoever Legally Owns it. You "may" be able to apply to the DVLA to be the Registered Keeper.

But that means nothing in terms of Ownership.

The legal owner will not change regardless of what forms you fill out at the DVLA or the Council or The Police station.

Azim
15-11-08, 23:52
Im not doing anything dodgy honest chaps .

Its late and ive made some hasty replies trying to explain my self .
Probably not come across very well .
Ive contacted already the police and Dvla

Willing to take any advised avenue to resolve this .

Anybody want to advise via forumor pm please dont hesitate to reply .

nealglover
15-11-08, 23:57
Legally you can't become the owner.

Not without without the current owner agreeing.

Simple as that, you can "maybe" become the Registered Keeper. But then you spend loads of money on it. Next day the Legal Owner turns up and takes the keys and says Thanks. !!

Azim
16-11-08, 00:04
Wont spend no money till either the owner is contacted or ive exhausted all avenues trying.

nealglover
16-11-08, 00:11
I think you shouldn't spend any Money until you have it in Writing, from the Official Legal Owner, that they are transferring ownership to you.

Don't forget that they are not the "Previous Owner" they are the "Current Owner"

If you can't trace them, that Will Not change. And your money is Not safe.

paul ss
16-11-08, 01:14
just read through all this thread and fooking hell some pepole jump down each others throat chill out for once will ya he is asking advice , if not will only get it from somewhere else .

have you got a signuatre or any recipt from the person you bought it of land owner whatever you wish to call him .

where was the van registerd orignaly as like you say it is on forign plates which country .

it could of also been dumped for a reason you never no this day and age , you can become the registerd keeper but not the owner 2 totaly diffrent thing's

i would keep trying to pester the police or council asking them

Azim
16-11-08, 07:37
Paul ss : i did get a reciept from the owner of the property where the vehicle was abandoned.

The vehicle or the owner originated in Holland (i was told ).
The chassis plate decoded read built in Hannover ).

Will go down to the police station and council again to try sort this out.

rob64981

Went to Vw late saturday to see if i can get any help using the chassis number ,was told that the engineers will be back in monday morning and to contact them then .
so i have to wait till monday .

Can you explain Dazibo ,willing to give it a try .

Just like to say ,i felt pretty cut up last night with some of the comments .
It dosnt make you feel easy knowing people are labelling you wrongly -
For this reason ,i nearly felt like leaving this forum and walking away .

Thanks to all that backed me T:

nealglover
16-11-08, 08:10
Azim, you will always find there are people are not all that helpful, Late saturday night after a few beers seems like prime time T:

Dazboi01 is a member on the forum, he is the Service Manager at Cordwallis VW. Although I dont suppose he could tell you much Mmore than you already know about the origin etc. Although he may be worth a try ?

Also there are actually a fair few members on the forum from Holland who may be able to help. They are members of the Dutch site www.weetjewel.com/home.html (http://www.weetjewel.com/home.html)

The site wont be much help unless you speak Dutch, but I am sure someone on here will be able to put you in touch with a member there who could maybe post on your behalf.

PS: I dont think some people realised that you were not trying to take something that anyone wanted, just saving something from the crusher. Or at least they chose not to realise that anyway.

t4-4 eva
16-11-08, 08:22
i agree with you azim to a certain degree, as long as youve tried to contact the rightfull owner !!! and the van doesnt belong to an enthusiast who has imported the vehicle and broke down and youve moved it before theyve come back, its a good job theyve done away with hanging as some on here would have you publicly stoned and have you hanged !LOL: i found a kids mtb some time back i thought some poor kid has either had that nicked or forgot it so i took it to the police station, a few mths later they phoned me up and said it hadnt been claimed so it was mine i said what about the owner and the copper said the time limit is over its yours son, as quilty as i felt i took it T:, under salvage rights and stuff i dont know how you stand, jus hope you get it sorted with no more grief and jus advice buddy T:

nbsurf
16-11-08, 08:47
As you have mentioned yourself Aziz, the key is obviously to try and find the owner. As with all of these types of thread not all the info is appropriate to put in on the first post. Clearly some folks are a bit quick to judge!
There aren't too many reasons why someone would leave a vehicle for over a year without contacting the land owner it was parked on. I assume the land owner knows who left the vehicle there and was aware that it was going to be left? The risk is that the van is stolen (even from Europe) and left. The ideal situation would be for the proper owner to be contacted and given an appropriate period of time in which to collect it. The land owner could add that you would be prepared to pay a sum of money (say 100) if he sends the documentation and proof of ownership (let's face it most people would respond if they thought they might get a few quid).
Good luck.

vwaddict
16-11-08, 08:49
at last some people who read this the right way .not sure about the legal owner /registered keeper thing though .as someone said previously im sure there is a time limit for someone to claim theres a firm around my way whose job it is to pick up abandoned cars ,bikes etc from carparks ,fields etc they cant be keeping these for ever most end up crushed or sold .
i bought a bay window from a trader at vanfest a few years back it had come from switzerland but had no papers ,plates or anything now i had that registered in my name and restored and later sold now your not telling me that some guy from switzerland could have come over and argued ownership .
i think the fact the plates were removed say something aswell as most of europe the plate belongs to the owner and not the vehicle .
azim a few pics of this van would help because if its a minter and obviously valuable would be differant to a shed with little value as its easier to figure if it was dumped or parked and the owner has befallen some tragedy and forgotten where he left it .
also you havent mentioned if you have been inside the van was it unlocked is there keys does it run etc

stridey
16-11-08, 09:07
This is my take on the subject, for what it is worth. I hope that it helps, but I feel it will more likely give you a couple of options to think about.

The problem I see is that ownership is dependant on whether the van is 'abondoned', or 'lost'. If it abandoned there is the chance the van was stolen, and as such the original owner retains title. You could be asked for it back.

If it is lost , by the original owner, or abandoned by the original owner (and I cant see how you know the OWNER was the one who abandoned it) then you have a duty to take care of it, reasonably.

Do you have the original keys? If so take them to the police station, and explain the situation. And see if they will enter the van into 'lost property'. I know you have the van, but some link to where the van is needed so that if someone has lost a vehicle they could find it again via the local police. 28 days later, its yours. I found a bag and handed it in, and I got the contents ince.

Next idea is to place an advert in the local paper, stating you have a abandoned or lost van and are seeking the owner, again within 28 days.

Now here is the clever bit....you will rightly be concerned the original owner will come back and claim his vehicle. So, you need to discourage this in some form. One way is to state in the notices column of the local paper the van is in your hands, but incurring, say, a 15 a day charge. This way when and if the original owner pops their head up they will quite rightly need to pay a storage fee. At some point it wont be worth them claiming or paying your fees. It needs to be 'reasonable' so perhaps find the 24 hour parking fees at a nearby secure compound and replicate those.

If you sell the vehicle the original owner is able to claim the money you gain for 6 years, BUT obviously you need to cover those storage fees, so if you can prove you reasonably notified by way of the notice in the local paper you should be OK.

The problem is if the vehicle is claimed as stolen, and this is the worrying bit. lets say the original owner decides he wants it back, then you may be accused of stealing it, and even though we know you didnt, that is a risk you may have to take. You have no way of knowing if the vehicle is reported stolen in Holland without doing a vehicle check there. If that is indeed where it came from. Maybe Plod can tell you if the vehicle is reported stolen Euro-wide, by chassis number, I dont know.

But either way, you would be entitled to charge for storage even if the vehicle was stolen. The main thing is that you take resonable steps to report the matter and return the vehicle, albeit whilst charging for the storage and looking after it.

Hope that gives you something to think about?T:

vwaddict
16-11-08, 09:16
would have to agree in general with the above
still think you should post some pics up dude like i said if its a minter its safe to asume the owner hasnt just abandoned it .i mean he could have been here on holiday parked the van walked round the corner and been killed by a bus i know its a worse case scenario but its possible .on the other hand if its a panel van with crusty arches ,rusty wheels oil all over the engine theres a good chance the owner drove it here and decided flying home was a better option in which case its abandoned LOL:

Azim
16-11-08, 11:34
I went to the local police station this morning ,and told them the whole story .
They said they cant do anything its up to the local council as its a civil matter .

I asked them can they check up the vin number to see if the vehicle was reported stolen .
Also gave them my details so if anyone comes forward they can contact me .

They said they would do a pnc check to see it was stolen ,but the computers were down .
they said they would contact me when the computers were back up with the results .

WWW.BANWYVANS.CO.UK
16-11-08, 19:40
"but the computers were down " which is code for I cannot be bothered!!

team french
16-11-08, 20:46
like what was said before about the chassis no. you maybe able to find the last place vw serviced it. (from what i understand they are all put on a database and i assume that a service center no. will be with it) depending on how much time has elapsed since the last service recorded, the service center may be able to contact the owner for you or point you in the right direction. also have you tried contacting the dutch embassy, they may be able to give you a contact for the dutch equv of our dvla.