Addictive [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Addictive

surfmatt
17-11-08, 16:31
after i bought my 2.5tdi t4 last year my son (16) has loved it, he has now got a job and is saving for his own at about 1500 2000k he has been looking at ex coca cola's ect the plan is to insure me and have him as a named driver, third party fire and theft. the 2.5tdi is great but what engine would be best? i trust him with the power, i was just wondering about price??? any other advice would be great.
cheers guys
:ILU:

mikey
17-11-08, 16:35
I would have thought the smaller the engine as in a 1.9 the cheaper it would be for him but i may be wrong. Good luck nice to no he is going to be another T4 driver T:

paul ss
17-11-08, 16:38
my younger brother has a 1.9non turbo and insured fully comp was just over 500quid only just passed his test and 18 been driving motorbike for few years but they would not take his ncb into considaration . ( norich union )

i advised him on the 1.9non turbo for a few reason's

cheap to run and when you first start driving everyone drive's all the time just for the sake of it as new novilty to them so try get them out the drivers seat LOL:

cheap and easy to maintain when your young you got better things to be thinking about than spending your money with heavy repair bill's as there is not a great dal to go wrong with them .

down side is there slow LOL: but cant have everything and would compare perfomance along the lines as a 1.0 punto etc

when was getting quote's for insurance a vaxual corsa deisel came in at well over double to insure .

surfmatt
17-11-08, 17:51
yeah, dunno if he would go for a non turbo. damn these teenage speed freaks! with me and him on my van id would cost 1000 to insure which isnt that bad really, so i would consider a 2.5tdi its just if something goes on it

RaCiNg SnAkE
17-11-08, 17:57
I don't mean to pee on your bonfire, but insurance company's are wise to the trick of insuring second vehicles with a son/daughter as a named driver. They will argue you cannot be the main driver on 2 vehicles at the same time if you have a named driver on a policy. :(

Furthermore, you can only use your NCB on one vehicle at a time too, so it may actually be worth checking how much it would cost to insure your son in his own name. It may be a little pricey for the first couple of years, but if he keeps his nose clean, the premiums will drop like a stone. T:

RAD
17-11-08, 19:50
I was insured under my father on my first motor, ok that was a car.

Had to claim within the first month, no questions asked, I did all the paperwork and sorted all the problems etc, still no issues.

So unless things have changed in 7 years, I would do the same if they let you and it costs more. That was with CIS.

(oh and my brother was insured at the same time under my fathers name, my father had 4 cars insured in his name back in the days)

adamsr
17-11-08, 21:56
i advised him on the 1.9non turbo for a few reason's

cheap to run and when you first start driving everyone drive's all the time just for the sake of it as new novilty to them so try get them out the drivers seat LOL:

The cheap to run thing is a bit of a myth. if you look at the official VW combined MPG figures, the 102bhp 2.5TDI actually get's the best mileage, followed by the 88bhp 2.5 TDI then the 1.9's bringing up the rear.

granted the 1.9 is simpler so will be cheaper to maintain, and will no doubt be a lower insurance group, but day to day running the 2.5TDI has the lowest fuel cost.

paul ss
17-11-08, 22:08
on a run sat at 70-80 i can get 242miles to 25 thats with poor weather and stuck in trafic a lot due to acident's

thats from completly empty to running out and spluttering again

Jim Doodle
17-11-08, 22:10
I wouldn't go fire and theft, you only make that mistake once. Not worth the risk.

surfmatt
18-11-08, 17:06
The cheap to run thing is a bit of a myth. if you look at the official VW combined MPG figures, the 102bhp 2.5TDI actually get's the best mileage, followed by the 88bhp 2.5 TDI then the 1.9's bringing up the rear.

granted the 1.9 is simpler so will be cheaper to maintain, and will no doubt be a lower insurance group, but day to day running the 2.5TDI has the lowest fuel cost.

yeah they where my thoughts and ive checked about my son being on the insurance and there hasnt been any problems as of yet so...? i suppose when he has the money together we will look at all the options price ect way it all up and see what to go for, if there is a REALLY nice 2.5tdi it might be worth the extra moola. how to the 800 specials run? and whats the highest mileage on a 1.9?

paul ss
18-11-08, 17:08
i no of 2 1.9 non turbo's on this forum with close to 300k on clock and another with 240k T: