1.9td intercooler [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

1.9td intercooler

gaz1973
20-11-08, 09:18
hi has enyone put a intercooler on a 1997 1.9td 68bhp plz can u tell me wot did it do for power did you get more power or not......:ILU: thanks

loudvanman
20-11-08, 18:16
Yes definetly get more power as long as its done along with thr project power, ie turbo tweek and fuel pump timming.

do a search for project power there loads of info about how to tune a 1.9td

hers a few pics of mine to give you an idea.

Its not ideal to mount the intercooler ontop of the engine but thats the only place i could make mine fit. Every little helps with these low powered engines.

search on ebay and you can find some long thin ones which can be mounted unber the front bumber.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb81/loudvanman/100_0046.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb81/loudvanman/100_0044.jpg

greyfox
20-11-08, 18:34
have you spun the inlet through 180 ?
i've got one waiting to go on...

ChrisC
20-11-08, 18:55
that looks cool as fxxk how much did it cost :cool:

loudvanman
24-11-08, 19:41
Thanks for the comments. Yes the Alloy casing ontop of the inlet has been spun through 180 degrees. This is to allow the thicker pipework from the turbo into the intercooler.

The intercooler was purchased from E-Bay for 120. However be carefull its the pipe work required that can get expensive. Dont use the cheap hoses from E-bay they can't handle the pressure and will soon pop off. trust me i tried them first. use some proper Turbo hoses such as Samco or simular also use proper clamps that dont cut into hose if you look a tmy pic the clamps are approx 3/4" wide and use an 8mm spanner to tighten not a phillips screwdriver.

Good luck with youre installs.

veedubnut
24-11-08, 20:13
Thanks for the comments. Yes the Alloy casing ontop of the inlet has been spun through 180 degrees. This is to allow the thicker pipework from the turbo into the intercooler.

The intercooler was purchased from E-Bay for 120. However be carefull its the pipe work required that can get expensive. Dont use the cheap hoses from E-bay they can't handle the pressure and will soon pop off. trust me i tried them first. use some proper Turbo hoses such as Samco or simular also use proper clamps that dont cut into hose if you look a tmy pic the clamps are approx 3/4" wide and use an 8mm spanner to tighten not a phillips screwdriver.

Good luck with youre installs.

Looks really good loudvanman

Where did you get those hose clamps from please?
I know theres a name for them (brand name like Wiggins , but theyre not wiggins as they cost a bomb)!!

I want to buy some!

veedubnut
24-11-08, 20:14
hi has enyone put a intercooler on a 1997 1.9td 68bhp plz can u tell me wot did it do for power did you get more power or not......:ILU: thanks

You need to pay (10 iirc) and become a registered member then you can get access to the engine modifications forum.

its worth its weight in gold and waaaaayy more than the membership cost :)

loudvanman
24-11-08, 21:00
Looks really good loudvanman

Where did you get those hose clamps from please?
I know theres a name for them (brand name like Wiggins , but theyre not wiggins as they cost a bomb)!!

I want to buy some!

Hi, I got mine from www.Demon-tweeks.co.uk they are a motor sports shop based in wrexham . they have an online shop have a look at the link above and go into the perfomance section. or call 01978 664466

They are called Mikalor hose clamps , the inside edge is rolled up so it doesn't dig into the hose and cut it. It also provides an even clamping pressure around the pipe unlike most normal jubelee clips with the srews in.

They start at around 1.50 for a 17 - 20mm going upto 4.96 for a 121 - 130mm

hope this helps.

veedubnut
24-11-08, 21:08
Hi, I got mine from www.Demon-tweeks.co.uk they are a motor sports shop based in wrexham . they have an online shop have a look at the link above and go into the perfomance section. or call 01978 664466

They are called Mikalor hose clamps , the inside edge is rolled up so it doesn't dig into the hose and cut it. It also provides an even clamping pressure around the pipe unlike most normal jubelee clips with the srews in.

They start at around 1.50 for a 17 - 20mm going upto 4.96 for a 121 - 130mm

hope this helps.

Cheers mate!

I knew I had heard the name before somewhere. Will give them a call once Ive got the van back running again :eek: