MaxxRaxx tilt on barn door - definitive answer sought [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

MaxxRaxx tilt on barn door - definitive answer sought

midiwife
29-11-08, 10:45
OK, I've been through all the bike rack threads now R: (I think) but I need to get the definitive answer on the MaxxRaxx and barn doors.

The million dollar question, does the MaxxRaxx swing down sufficiently to allow the opening of the barn doors on a T4? We'd typically have 2 adult bikes on the rack - I think they only make 2 bike and 4 bike models so it may be that the 2 bike model might swing down more than the 4 bike model...

There are quite a few mentions of tailgate models having no problems but I can't find barn door users with pics or anyone that says they can open their doors.

Please? Anyone? It could end up being my Christmas pres.

e30mark
29-11-08, 11:37
No idea really, but whilst you wait for a decent answer...

Can you lay the 2 bikes on the floor behind the van and still open the barn doors? if not then you'll have no chance with the additional height the of the rack.

I can't imagine it being possible, but you might be lucky.

midiwife
29-11-08, 11:46
Hi e39Mark,

Good thinking. Actually, my van's an exAA and hasn't been lowered or tinkered with in other ways so the back rides quite high. I'll give it a look today.

Cheers for that.

midiwife
29-11-08, 12:06
oops, that should have been e30!

e30mark
29-11-08, 13:13
e39 grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

The E30 reference is to do with my other car passion, old BMWs.

Excuse the girl, they just can't help throwing themselves over the bonnet of my car :ILU:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8356/poloshirts3yz3.jpg

midiwife
02-12-08, 17:00
Ah, I see. It is indeed E30 OK?

Unfortunately I can't seem to get a picture of a scantily clad lad on my bonnet as they keep on sliding off before I can press the button!

e30mark
02-12-08, 18:34
The plate is actually E3 OOK but i just had illegal plates made up and never had any trouble over the years. The rear number plate is legal reading E3 OOK as I always hate it when i had the wrong plate on the back and was being followed by a police car etc.

Good luck in finding a scantily clad lad as a bonnet mascot, and even better luck in finding an answer to your original bike rack question!

ahay!
02-12-08, 18:52
Ah, I see. It is indeed E30 OK?

Unfortunately I can't seem to get a picture of a scantily clad lad on my bonnet as they keep on sliding off before I can press the button!

Maybe what you need is a fat lad to sit on the front :dunno:
Lowering the front should increase the chances of you being able to open the barn doors with the Maxx Raxx tilted down :ILU:

David
03-12-08, 07:45
The plate is actually E3 OOK but i just had illegal plates made up and never had any trouble over the years. The rear number plate is legal reading E3 OOK as I always hate it when i had the wrong plate on the back and was being followed by a police car etc.

Tried to get D3 OOK but couldn't. Got D18 OOK and D13 OOK. Used to run them with space in the wrong place but got stopped too many times so standard now.

Sorry to highjack original post, and sorry don't know if the rack will fit:D

Rhosneigr Gaz
03-12-08, 07:58
If it helps in any way my old van had twin doors and a halfords 3 cycle towhitch mounted rack. This would hinge down and allow the doors to open with 2 adult bikes on. Hope this helps!

jimmy_adams
04-12-08, 08:44
hi mate i work in a bike shop and have never had any problems with the maxxraxx not tilting enough, i have never fitted to a t4 yet though. best bet would be to give maxx raxx a call or email, they are friendly guys who will help if they can. 01342 841 989 [email protected] hope this helps mate.

midiwife
04-12-08, 18:32
Hi Rhosneigr Gaz and jimmy_adams,

It's all sounding pretty promising. Reckon I'll ring maxxraxx and have a chat. It's got to be the easiest solution.

Safe cyling to all.