Am i breaking the law?? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Am i breaking the law??

white van Al
12-12-07, 17:17
Am i breaking the law by driving my 800 special 1.9td at the same speeds as i drive my car? I read somewhere that van have to go 10mph slower is that right?
If it is at least i will have a reason for crawling along in the slow lane :)

thebouncingbunny
12-12-07, 18:07
yeah its in the highway code.in a commercial vehicle/non car derived van its 50 single carriageway 60 dual carriageway.70 motorway.
there are some exceptions tho regarding over a certain cm2 of glass and or fitment of 4x4(this is why minibuses/mpv's and landrovers etc arent restricted)
you'll have to search out the last bit of info as i only read that on another forum

golfgtioz
12-12-07, 18:18
what driving a 1.9td at the same speed as a CAR .. pahh dont believe you ..lol... :D

only joking i also have a 1.9td I: .. great once you get them going

willonmitchell
12-12-07, 21:14
"white van Al" you got it all wrong! the van goes FASTER than a car!!!!!

i drove home from liverpoole last weekend and didnt get over taken for 2 hours!!!:D

god nose how quick u can cruze in the bigger engine! For now i am more than happy :D

junglegusset2
12-12-07, 21:19
...there are some exceptions tho regarding over a certain cm2 of glass and or fitment of 4x4(this is why minibuses/mpv's and landrovers etc arent restricted)
you'll have to search out the last bit of info as i only read that on another forum

Does anyone know where that leaves motorhomes (Campers)?

Simon Baxter
12-12-07, 21:30
It's to do with vehicles REGISTERED as commercials, basically transporters.
Commercial vehicles have a lower speed limit on some roads, thats why it is in your interest to make sure your T4 is down on the log book as a camper/motorhome if it is one.

vanbling
12-12-07, 21:30
As far as i am aware if you get it all changed over on at the dvla it puts another 10mph to your top speed.

Now theres a cheap power mod. :ILU: ;)

junglegusset2
12-12-07, 21:45
Cool, I know mine's registered as a motorhome. I thought that brought the insurance down as well. Speed up, insurance down! How cool is that?

vanbling
13-12-07, 00:02
very cool :cool:

cheekymonkey
13-12-07, 13:53
It's a very grey area... i got stopped for speeding in my Ex AA and after telling me initially that on dual carraigeway my limit was 60 the copper changed his mind and felt that actaully it would be 70 like a car as mine has back seats & back windows...

who knows... I think you'd be able to argue if you have back windows & seats, but if it's a straight panel van then I'd stick to 60 on the dual carraigeways!

gazfoot
13-12-07, 14:19
whats the taxation class on your v5. if its commercial then its 10mph slower or if it classed as diesel car its the same as a car.

dubnuts
13-12-07, 14:40
Some info here:

http://www.smartdriving.co.uk/Driving/DefensiveDriving/Speed/UK_Speed_limits.html

I think its a grey area..

Jurasik
13-12-07, 14:53
Strange that.
My V5 (which came today) says for taxation class - Diesel car.
It says body type - van/side windows.
Now I am confused.:confused:

gazfoot
13-12-07, 15:53
mine says the same but its the taxation class that counts.
commercial vehicles are taxed only 175 quid up to 3.5 ton on any age of vehicle but if yours is reg after march 01 and it goes on emmisions its classed as a diesel car. on your tax disc it shows dc.
so next time your pulled over shove your dc in the pc's face and he should f off simpleT:

gazfoot
13-12-07, 16:09
just range DVLA they confirmed the EX/AA is a diesel car class.

thebouncingbunny
13-12-07, 16:10
mine says lgv which funnily enuf is what it says on the v5-light goods vehichle

regd 2003.cost 175

gazfoot
13-12-07, 16:11
i think i'll go out any see if i can get a patrol car to chase me.

hang on that sound abit gay scratch that:o

gazfoot
13-12-07, 16:13
bouncingbunny you is a van man watch your speed:no

Simon Baxter
13-12-07, 18:47
I'm just on with this, heres a transcript of my e-mail, and their reply.

How do.
I had a VW panel van
I cut windows into it.
I added a rear seat, with seatbelts.
What do I need to write on the logbook when I send it back to change the body type?
MPV?
Ta.
Simon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
brickwerks is a trademark of SJ Baxter Motor Engineers.

SJ Baxter Motor Engineers.
Grandstand Garage.
Mark street.
Paddock.
Huddersfield.
HD1 4ST
+44 (0)1484 519 800
VAT No GB 877974541

http://www.sjbaxter.co.uk - http://www.brickwerks.co.uk

Their reply...

Thank you for your email.

When any vehicle is altered in a way that is likely to effect the details shown on the V5 registration document/V5C registration certificate, the keeper should return the following to DVLA:-

1. The V5 registration document/V5C registration certificate with alterations noted in the appropriate sections.

2. A covering letter detailing the changes made - this is only required if you can not accurately notify us of the changes to the vehicle using only method 1, see above.

3. Photographs which clearly show the alterations made to the vehicle - this is only required if you can not accurately notify us of the changes to the vehicle using methods 1 and 2, see above.

On receipt of the notification of changes, the evidence will be inspected, and the appropriate changes made to the vehicle record.

Please note: to enquire about changes to the construction or use of the vehicle, please direct your enquiry to:-

The Department for Transport,
Transport Technology and Standards Division (TTS) 4,
Great Minster House,
76 Marsham Street,
London
SW1P 4DR

Public Enquiry Telephone Number: 020 7944 8300
Fax Number: 020 7944 9643

I hope that this information is helpful.

Regards

Marc Randell, Email Team
www.direct.gov.uk/motoring

[THREAD ID:1-NV7U2]

There you go, from the horses mouth, as I read it, you send your log book back with some pictures and a description of what you have done and they decide what it is.

:)

white van Al
14-12-07, 09:27
I may just do that. I know that a 1.9 aint the fastest thing but i can still do 70 on a dual with a decnt tail wind.
If this is the case then how come all the fu**in tranny drivers seem to be able to sit and inch off my bumper at 70 without getting a pull? Does plod just not bother enforcing this law?

Fatdog
14-12-07, 11:42
I may just do that. I know that a 1.9 aint the fastest thing but i can still do 70 on a dual with a decnt tail wind.
If this is the case then how come all the fu**in tranny drivers seem to be able to sit and inch off my bumper at 70 without getting a pull? Does plod just not bother enforcing this law?

Yes they do, i got got pulled a few years back for speeding on the A27 heading into Worthing in a merc sprinter. The copper said to me "do you know the speed limit for this class of vehicle on a dual carrigeway sir?" I replied, "errrr 70 innit orrriiifffficer?" "Ummm no sir, it's 60, but even if it was 70, you were doing 86!!!"
But had i been doing 70 would he have pulled me?? I'll never know, but the speeding code for speeding in a retricted class vehicle is different.
The highway code states 'any car or car derived van, up to 2tonnes MAX laden weight, 70mph on dual carriageways.
Any goods vehicle, not exceeding 7.5tonnes, 60mph.
So if you have a 888, or an 800, does it exceed 2 tonnes?? Considering they can only carry 800 kgs that leaves you 1200kgs unladen weight. And what defines a car derived van?
If a van has the same chassis as say, a VW passat, but has completely different bodywork, surely that is still car derrived....
If on the other hand you have a 1200 lwb, then your over the 2 tonnes anyway.
I can't find my reg documents to check the unladen weight, but i'm sure someone will fill me in.:)

upspex
14-12-07, 12:41
Don't hurt yourself! The T4 is NOT a car derived van.

ICEMAN
18-12-07, 20:45
if you've got a panel van with a gross vehicle weight above 2020 kg (my 1000 is gvw 2515) then you need to stick to

30 round town
50 on single carriageways
60 on dual carriageways
70 on motorways

the caravelle/ day van guys might find a loophole..all depends on if a velle is a van derived car or mpv , or a van is a car derived van!!

but lets face it..if it started as a van when it left the factory , chances are they'll class it as a van

Hillbillyracer
18-12-07, 21:49
If a van has the same chassis as say, a VW passat, but has completely different bodywork, surely that is still car derrived....

I've seen on here a few folk seem to belive the T4 has a Passat floorpan (though I take it you're just using it as a for instance).
I've been underneath both & there is no real connection between the two, there may be an odd component shared but the basic layout is totally different.
The T4 is not based on anything else, it stands alone.

Simon Baxter
18-12-07, 21:58
I think what people mean is that they are of a similar wheelbase and track as a Passat.

many-ears
25-05-09, 17:07
Taxation classes,vehicle speeds,nobody knowing what the law or regulations are,including this countrys police force.Sounds like a recipe for impending anarchy given the ok by the powers that be.Has Osama Bin Laden infiltrated our policy makers without us knowing!Does Anyone out there apart from the Gurkas actually want to live in England!It also begs the question will they thank Joanna Lumley when they come here & realise how ****tily run the place is.

widu13
25-05-09, 17:16
If you don't like it, get elected and do something about it. I'll vote for you.