Reeel dumb question (but honest!) [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Reeel dumb question (but honest!)

ChrisIoW
22-12-08, 20:29
I have to jump start the van I'm collecting early tomorrow (T4 SWB 2.5TD), as I got there tonight and it was dead as a dodo. Where's the battery? I won't have much time to do it, just need to dive right in.

Thanks guys!

Cosha
22-12-08, 20:40
in the engin bay as you look at it, the battery is on the left under a plastic cover, you might have to remove the plastic cage that sits above the battery bay plastic this is the pollen filter (if there is one)

it is under there, take some wd40 as the 3 screws that hold in on can be a bugger!

carlhusky
22-12-08, 20:45
If you pop the bonnet, my battery is on the right as you look in, under the plastic shroud

T4 VIRGIN,
22-12-08, 20:58
same as carlhusky-mines on the right under plastic cover

a1t4
22-12-08, 20:59
same i think they all were in the same place chap

ChrisIoW
22-12-08, 21:06
Thanks everyone, that's great! No hunting around in the boot, like an Alfa...

auto-photos
22-12-08, 21:19
sorry to hyjack - wheres the best pplace to mount a leisure /second battery with a split system

Cosha
23-12-08, 06:44
Where your sprae wheel is located :-)

well mine is

auto-photos
23-12-08, 08:32
ah can't do that. lpg tanks there

mikey
23-12-08, 08:38
I have to jump start the van I'm collecting early tomorrow (T4 SWB 2.5TD), as I got there tonight and it was dead as a dodo. Where's the battery? I won't have much time to do it, just need to dive right in.

Thanks guys!

Why is there not a good battery on it if you have just bought it, or at least it should be charged up :ILU:

a1t4
23-12-08, 17:05
sorry to hyjack - wheres the best pplace to mount a leisure /second battery with a split system

Under drivers seat or in with original battery under bonnet on purpose made extended shelf

Big Bad Bear
23-12-08, 17:28
You need one of these :D

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb312/chrisclay49/100_2130.jpg

If ya pays a tenner to open the tech threads all the dimmensions are available ;)

vwaddict
24-12-08, 11:26
Where your sprae wheel is located :-)

well mine is

you have a leisure battery located under the rear of the van :eek:

a1t4
24-12-08, 11:30
you have a leisure battery located under the rear of the van :eek:

Interesting but bleeing dangerous someone on here was talking about building a battery box under his van i do believe don't remember seeing a follow up however to it so maybe it didn't work

Cosha
24-12-08, 16:00
its actualy mounted in a safe battery box made for a fork lift truck.

i know tha mah is something stupidly high, i expect we will only have to charge it once a year! its not connected to the main battery, we only will be running some led lights and some bits and bobs if we need too!

its not that heavy either and is isolated so we can turn it on and off!

vwaddict
24-12-08, 19:13
interesting idea do you still use the forklift charger to charge it ? .where do you put your spare wheel ?

Cosha
25-12-08, 09:19
spare wheel is just inside the back of the van at the min as the inside is not complete it will be underneath a rock n roll bed!

yep will be charged just like a normal forklift as its only a split single cell only takes about an hour for a full charge

its totaly sealed bolted away, under the van no fumes or nastys to be had here!

ill get some pictures of the battery box when i got back to the body shop on sat!

i thought about split relays and split charge etc etc but it just more simple way of doing it plus if i swapped or got a new van i can just take it with me!

just something different!

we tested the battery for a week with about 10 led lights on it, i think we lost more in discharge rate than we did from the consumed power from the lights and it was totaly minimal!!

nice things about fork batterys they dont care if its hot cold nor do they care if there run totaly flat!!!!

cheers

merry xmass

auto-photos
25-12-08, 10:52
You need one of these :D

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb312/chrisclay49/100_2130.jpg

If ya pays a tenner to open the tech threads all the dimmensions are available ;)

where does this go?

ps what esle do i get for a tenner, i like chinese

bigcat
25-12-08, 13:32
where does this go?

ps what esle do i get for a tenner, i like chinese

It would be almost impossible for that tenner not to be repaid in spadefuls, the knowledge, ideas and help on here are phenomenal. *<:-)>

TDI Dave
25-12-08, 14:07
Split charge question
use the search button its your freind *<:-)>

ChrisIoW
25-12-08, 20:51
I think the lights were left on after the test drive. At the moment, a 10mm spanner is my friend, I'm guaranteed a still charged battery every time I use it! It also came with a copper mine, wooden hammer, spade and old boots! The copper mine spits out plumbing fittings from the lower runner with monotonous regularity, and made it come right off its tracks the other day. LOL:
Sometimes the oil light flashes too when it's cold and damp, but it went away and did 40 miles fine.

vwaddict
27-12-08, 08:28
spare wheel is just inside the back of the van at the min as the inside is not complete it will be underneath a rock n roll bed!

yep will be charged just like a normal forklift as its only a split single cell only takes about an hour for a full charge

its totaly sealed bolted away, under the van no fumes or nastys to be had here!

ill get some pictures of the battery box when i got back to the body shop on sat!

i thought about split relays and split charge etc etc but it just more simple way of doing it plus if i swapped or got a new van i can just take it with me!

just something different!

we tested the battery for a week with about 10 led lights on it, i think we lost more in discharge rate than we did from the consumed power from the lights and it was totaly minimal!!

nice things about fork batterys they dont care if its hot cold nor do they care if there run totaly flat!!!!

cheers

merry xmass

top idea that cosha :ILU: