fan belt shredded into timing belt [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

fan belt shredded into timing belt

alister
02-01-09, 20:12
:(fan belt shredded tonight. problem is a bit went into the timing belt. i know there's damage don't know how much? it's a 2.5tdi 102 bhp. My friend is a fitter for renault he wanted me to ask if these engines bend valves? some of the renault engines don't do it. if they do bend valves then it's a big job head off, if not i could get away with new belt and set timing. Thanks for your help

T4YLOR
02-01-09, 21:25
as far as im aware without checking im afraid its prolly done the valves mate
andy

slimbo
03-01-09, 08:17
you dont say if the timing belt has susequently failed ,if it has then valve damage will occur.

if its a case of the belt is contaminated with bits of drive/fan belt then get the timing belt changed and see how it goes from there..

and dont drive it till the belt is changed.

bennylee
03-01-09, 08:37
:(fan belt shredded tonight. problem is a bit went into the timing belt. i know there's damage don't know how much? it's a 2.5tdi 102 bhp. My friend is a fitter for renault he wanted me to ask if these engines bend valves? some of the renault engines don't do it. if they do bend valves then it's a big job head off, if not i could get away with new belt and set timing. Thanks for your help

My belt snapped bent all valves x 10 snapped cam shart in to 4 pices same 2.5 tdi hope yours is ok.

alister
03-01-09, 09:53
thanks for your help . belt didn't fail , only jumped some teeth on the bottom pully. the van was been started when it happened. so the only power was the egnition. does this help?

vwaddict
03-01-09, 11:35
in that case id fit the belt and see how it goes if its fine your laughing if not take the head off :ILU:

WWW.BANWYVANS.CO.UK
03-01-09, 17:27
We had a cambelt snap on one whilst it was stationary, thankfully no damage done. Typical as it was on it's wasy to have cambelt change!! Towed it in, timed it up and thankfully it has been fine ever since. Another one went whilst the van was moving and bent 10 valves!!:*

I cannot stress how much we recommend changing belts regularly and straight away whenever you have a new van, it jus is not worth the risk!!
K

alister
04-01-09, 07:33
both belts were replaced by a diesel garage in swansea six months ago months ago! i was advised at the time that my power assist pump had a slightly bent shaft. this is what has caused the problem.

slimbo
04-01-09, 08:11
thanks for your help . belt didn't fail , only jumped some teeth on the bottom pully. the van was been started when it happened. so the only power was the egnition. does this help?

hey m8 get the belt changed and see what happens, if it jumped one or two teeth chances are itl be fine .. any more and could be expensive..

where in swansea did you have it sorted before?

damo
04-01-09, 15:36
My mate had one of keys holding the pulleys on the timing belt go on a 1,9td and it killed the head but he was doing 90 on the m2.I had to tow him home.

WWW.BANWYVANS.CO.UK
04-01-09, 18:10
That's gutting then!! fingers crossed for you. replace cambelt kit and time up then pray like mad!!!!

both belts were replaced by a diesel garage in swansea six months ago months ago! i was advised at the time that my power assist pump had a slightly bent shaft. this is what has caused the problem.

Milo
04-01-09, 18:23
Remind me, please, what is the interval for changing the timing belt on the 2.5tdi?

TDI Dave
04-01-09, 18:30
80K according to the manual but id do it sooner i left mine on over 90k and it was cracked all over like crazy paving i was lucky it didnt bust

Milo
04-01-09, 18:54
'Kin' 'ell, oh, no, sokay, phew,,,,,,,,, I read that as 80,000km which I translated into 50,000 miles and nearly **** meself, but you're saying 80,000 miles, aren't you.

slimbo
04-01-09, 22:31
the AA, my bosses always had the belt and waterpump changed at 60k..:ILU:

alister
05-01-09, 22:19
looks like Sure Term insurance are coming to the rescue!!! the full storey is the van was crashed into whilst it was parked on my drive back on the 9th August 2008. All the belts were changed on the 7th july 2008. The van ran perfect before the crash.
After the crash the body work came back perfect but i was having little annoying mechanical problems so i took it to Autec in Swansea where it had about 300 worth of work done. Dereck at Autec was great and told me that the power pump was still damaged by the accident and this would cause further damage. Me been an idiot,i've been saving my pennies for a new power pump. not wanting to bother my insurance company cos i thouhgt the claim was over and done with.
I rang my insurance company today to get the details of my brake down cover,started to tell them about the problems. they said they're sending an assesor down to the garage to help with my claim and gave me a telling off for not complainig before.

auto-photos
07-01-09, 16:21
how much were the belts and fitting man? looking to get mine done sometime if their a tidyprice

alister
07-01-09, 20:09
auto-photos........is that you frauds? by all accounts Dereck at Autec is supposed to be one of the best engine guy's in swansea he's based down by K&J near the liberty stadium tel 01792 650077. wasn't that expensive. He came very well recomended from 3 or 4 friends in the motor trade.
Ade a.k.a bodydrop said he knows of a good vw fitter, main dealer trained if you want a couple of quotes.
hows the van?:ILU:

alister
07-01-09, 20:14
frauds if that is you how the flip are you a van proLOL:LOL: