Tow bar fitting [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Tow bar fitting

offroad boy
05-01-09, 17:40
HI ALL JUST BOUGHT A SECOND HAND TOW HITCH OFF A MATE OF MINE WHO HAD A K REG T4 1.9 JUST WONDERING HOW MUCH WORK IS INVOVED IN FITTING IT TO MY 52 PLATE T4 HE RECONS IT LL BOLT STRAIGHT ON TO MINE BUT AS MY LUCK GOES IT LL NEVER WORK LIKE THAT PLEASE COULD SOME ONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THE SUBJECT PLEASE :confused:

offroad boy
05-01-09, 18:47
Has anyone got any advice at all please could do with it

westray321
05-01-09, 19:03
i fitted a towbar on my van last summer, as far as im aware they are all the same,if i remember rightly it involves removing two existing bolts (bumper subframe) and refitting longer ones with the towbar brackets in place and then two more bolts go through holes in the chassis legs,easy:D.then theres the wiring.:(

gavst4
05-01-09, 19:03
i bought a 2nd hand one for my p reg t4 and fitted it in less than a hour including wiring it up, its really simple as long as the bolts come undone, soak them in wd40 a few days before hand,

Roleur Coaster
05-01-09, 19:08
Don't know about off a K plater, but one I got for my 53 reg van bolted straight on using existing fixing holes in chassis. Had to remove spare wheel, jack up rear of van to fit it. That was the easy bit. Splicing in to the loom for the lektriks was the fun bit. Took a lot longer.

offroad boy
05-01-09, 19:25
Thanx for the advice guys ill give it a whirl on the weekend iv got a sparky friend to do the connection for me if i put van up on ramps should make it easier for myself mine not much good at mechinical stuff but ill give it a go

Treeeev
05-01-09, 19:27
I didn't bother to jack mine up, just removed the spare wheel then bolted it all up as per the other replies, not too difficult a job - took about 1 1/2 hours to bolt on from start to finish. Wiring took a little while, but I found this very useful info https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15853&highlight=towbar

Regards

Trevor

offroad boy
05-01-09, 19:33
Thanx for that mate my sparky asked if i could find him a wiring diagram just hope the b****y thing fits cheers again

T5 Aid
05-01-09, 20:02
I tried this at the weekend. I got a tow bar from a K reg van and it didnt fit my 01 van. The type i have fits behind the bumper. Infact it replaces the bumper mounts. Problem is the older vans have different bumpers and while the towbars will fit i cant fit the bumper to the tow bar that i bought.

Having said that there are some bars that dont replace the bumper mount, they seem to mount so the main bar hangs below the bumper instead of behind it.

Maunal for tow bar for older bumper vans (http://www.catalogue.bosal.com/pdf/pdf_mi/019652.pdf)

Manual for tow bar for newer bumper vans (http://www.catalogue.bosal.com/pdf/pdf_mi/025221.pdf)

offroad boy
05-01-09, 20:12
Just as i thought i know there was going to be a problem the bar is from towtrust its only about 6 monthes old ill have to try it first and see what happens

offroad boy
06-01-09, 18:19
Had a go at fitting tow bar tonight and it does fit but i do need to get longer bolts to go through the chasis thanx for all the advice