Ferry to Bilbao [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Ferry to Bilbao

cpl199
11-01-09, 14:07
I am taking my 'Vern' over to Bilbao this summer to get some Spanish surfing in. Has anyone got any suggestions for the cheapest option on the P& O ferry. Rooms seem to cost a bomb.
Carl

Rhosneigr Gaz
11-01-09, 14:22
lower ur van, that makes it cheaper! Under 1.85m on Brittany Ferries to Santander. Nowt better than the feeling when u drive ur own van off the ferry and the adventure begins! Gd luck! By the way it was 500 round trip from Plymouth-Santander with a bog standard inside cabin.

waxer
11-01-09, 14:30
Yup, lower the van like Gaz says. After that enjoy Northern Spain. I was there on a surf trip a couple of years ago and it was great, you can park up overnight in the carparks overlooking the surf and the cops dont care. get all your food and booze from Lidle/Aldi and youre laughing. If there is no swell on the N coast its not a difficult drive to the Pantin area of Galicia where I got some epic waves. Make sure you drink lots of the local cider too ha ha.
Here's a link to get you in the mood.. http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Europe/Spain/index.html

Van'Cooke
11-01-09, 15:44
Just go one way. there is some great surf all the way down the coast. Just gets bigger and stronger wave as you go south. I just booked a channal hop for 53, 150 fuel, take 4 days and surfing every day, spend a week surfing west coast of spain and poruagal.
36 hrs run home or ferry.

snigvan
11-01-09, 19:44
When you going? I'm heading out first 3 weeks of August.A:
Quick look at return prices was about 700-800 though. Basic inside cabin, Me, wife 1 & 5 year old. Ex AA on stilts. Could let the tyres downH:
Do they actually measure the van??

conwaydance
11-01-09, 21:36
When you going? I'm heading out first 3 weeks of August.A:
Quick look at return prices was about 700-800 though. Basic inside cabin, Me, wife 1 & 5 year old. Ex AA on stilts. Could let the tyres downH:
Do they actually measure the van??

no thy dont measure ,but there is i drive through barirer, if its to hi it will not go throught it , saying that every time ive been on a ferry , 4 times this year alone,with a mpv with and without roof box ive always been in the larger section , so it would not matter i think it depends on if its busy or not ie peek season. good look and enjoy the adventure it will be fab , but if you drive allway there be prepered its a very long way .dust drove back from the south of france at christmas and set of at 5 in morning and got to blackpool at 9 at night with 3 or four short stops . be prepared !!

golddust
12-01-09, 10:29
Unless you're good with sea sickness pay the extra for a window cabin. Not being able to see horizon seemed to make me feel sick as a dog. The bay of biscay can be a bit choppy!

Rhosneigr Gaz
12-01-09, 11:02
The Santander boat Pont Aven is a holiday in itself! Went for a swim in the pool, watched a magic show, sang Karaoke! Then had a few scoops b4 bed! We paid for a 2 berth cabin and took a sleeping bag and lay Jr on the floor! We were camping after all!

cpl199
17-01-09, 21:02
Cheers Chaps

I am struggling to get the ferry under a grand !! Madness.BIG DILEMMA...........
Ferry Dover-Dunkirk... Cheap as chips followed by big drive OR Ferry to Spain , No drive but short on pennies with no drive???

Welshy
22-01-09, 14:45
I have the same dilemma every year! I'd love to get ferry straight to Bilbao or Satander but its a grand! So its always Dover Calais or whatever saving about 900- if you time it right. i.e leave dover early morn (and I travel from Glasgow) then can can easy make Bordeaux by midnight (on peage just cruising). Then from Bordeaux its only half a days drive all the way past Bilbao to the surfing beaches..stoked. So its not so bad...and thats what ive done past 5 summers.....that said I'd love to just hop on the ferry and off in Santander!

Driving a converted ex AA..mby lowering is the way to go..:ILU:

cpl199
23-01-09, 20:53
Yep, Ill start to book it up. Its Dover...... Unless someone wants to sponsor my ticket? Any rich ex surfer millionares out there????