Fasp swivel Base? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Fasp swivel Base?

millsrock
15-01-09, 18:17
Hi,just fitted my new fasp swivel base only to find the arm rest hits the door pillar and stops it swiveling,so took it aprt and looked at how I had fitted it but cant see what im doing wrong,which side of the seat when forward should the orange handle be,does this have anything to do with me swapping a double for captains,could they have sent me wrond side,how can i tell if its the right side
Any help would be welcome as im getting angry with it now!!!

Cheers
Craig

scott337
15-01-09, 18:19
Try moving the seat forwards or back wards until it passes the door pillar

millsrock
15-01-09, 19:21
Try moving the seat forwards or back wards until it passes the door pillar

Well,I feel like a simpleton now,but I did have the plate upside down too,cheers for the help

Why do the retailers and indeed us let fasp get away with selling these swivels with no instructions,no fitting bolts,not painted.this is a retail product and as such should have all these and maybe even come in a box(though I dont mind that waste and all that)
what other retail product is sold like this(feels flood gate open?)

Cheers
Craig.....with swivel seat.....YEEEEEEEEE

Bluebird Customs
16-01-09, 11:12
Depends where you get it from regarding the fixing kit.;)

I'm in the process of getting instrucions together for the ones we sell .

No real point in painting rthem as you don't see any of them when fitted. :ILU:

Hobbsy
16-01-09, 15:43
hi millisrock,

im guessing there okay now are they? can you tell me where you got them, how much and do they make your seat alot higher, if so by how much ?
P.S i tried to PM you but you inbox is full and wont accept anymore pm's

millsrock
16-01-09, 16:08
Depends where you get it from regarding the fixing kit.;)

I'm in the process of getting instrucions together for the ones we sell .

No real point in painting rthem as you don't see any of them when fitted. :ILU:

well im a paddler and often have wet kit and boats in my van,if not painted the swivels would just go rusty,and as i said this is a retail product and should be finshed as such,intructions,fitting bolts ,painted in a box In my opinion

Craig

Bluebird Customs
16-01-09, 16:17
well im a paddler and often have wet kit and boats in my van,if not painted the swivels would just go rusty,and as i said this is a retail product and should be finshed as such,intructions,fitting bolts ,painted in a box In my opinion

Craig

I can understand that, but Fasp just don't paint them for some reason I presume cost will have some bearing on that, although they seem to be coated with something I think they are chemically dipped. I too don't understand why they don't provde nuts and bolts , that's why I always put a kit together for the customer and agree with you regarding the instructions again that's why I'm putting some together.
Just noticed you are in Accy just up the road from me. :ILU:

T4 Chris
16-01-09, 16:39

Craig

I bought Fasp swivels (not from Richard but would have done if I knew he supplied fitting kit) and set about installing them. Personally I think it makes an absolute mockery of the TUV rated because the very thing that holds your super safe tested seat swivel in place is NOT tested itself, not only this but because Fasp don't even give instructions or advice you don't have a spec of bolt to use. I also agree the lack of paint was diappointing , considering the price, AND I was disapponted with the finish, the edges of the swivels are quite sharp like they've just come out of a press. I still haven't fitted the drivers side swivel and I am considering selling and going for on that doesn't raise the seat height. I went with Fasp because I thought I would do the right thing, but personally I've been disappointed with them!!

Bluebird Customs
16-01-09, 16:52
Fasp are a good product as far as safety goes far better and safer than any UK manufactured one from an engineering point of view, believe me I looked at the UK made ones and they didn't convince me at all.
At least with the Fasp they are all steel construction with a veryy heavy duty pressed and formed bearing retainer, whereas the UK ones have a wooden bearing retainer and one single 12mm bolt holding it all together which don't fit well as they rattle like two skelitons doing it in a biscuit tin. you can tell I don't like em much.

Incidently, I'm in the process of getting some bases with a lockable safe to fit the Fasp swivels and will bring them down to stock height

So stick wth the Fasp you know it makes sense

I put the lack of finish down to the fact that they reckon no one sees them once they are in place.

Mind you they are Italian:D

T4 Chris
16-01-09, 17:09
Incidently, I'm in the process of getting some bases with a lockable safe to fit the Fasp swivels and will bring them down to stock height

Would be very interested in these Richard, any idea on price and when it may become available? Dare I ask about TUV?

I think the wooden bit on the UK ones is a bit daft on a PR front as its visible! The wooden bit is only to keep the bearings spaced though, the actual swivel strength wouldn't be improved with say a nylon retainer.

I'll keep the Fasp faith for the time being, as Richard may be their saviour. :gl

Cheers

BANANAVAN
16-01-09, 17:13
So stick wth the Fasp you know it makes sense

Mind you they are Italian:D

YUP! :ILU:

I cannot belive that people get away with selling ones with bits of wood holding the bearings in! SHOCKING!:eek: From the ones i have seen they might aswell sell them as a part to turn your T4 seats into a rocking chair!!

millsrock
16-01-09, 17:51
I can understand that, but Fasp just don't paint them for some reason I presume cost will have some bearing on that, although they seem to be coated with something I think they are chemically dipped. I too don't understand why they don't provde nuts and bolts , that's why I always put a kit together for the customer and agree with you regarding the instructions again that's why I'm putting some together.
Just noticed you are in Accy just up the road from me. :ILU:

Ah yes didnt notice you are in Harwood either
If people complained or stopped buying they would soon sort there act out,buy british apathy wont go for that,it is a good product,and good on you for sorting out their shortfalls but they should sell a complete product,I just bought a 120bar power washer new for 31,it came with everything needed including box and instructions,I mean come on, a printed sheet,4 bolts and a box,1 all in?

Maybe a T4 forum boycott is in order lol

Craig

Bluebird Customs
17-01-09, 16:54
Ah yes didnt notice you are in Harwood either
If people complained or stopped buying they would soon sort there act out,buy british apathy wont go for that,it is a good product,and good on you for sorting out their shortfalls but they should sell a complete product,I just bought a 120bar power washer new for 31,it came with everything needed including box and instructions,I mean come on, a printed sheet,4 bolts and a box,1 all in?

Maybe a T4 forum boycott is in order lol

Craig

I agree with what you say. but they've sold these things for years as they are so whada ya do :dunno: :D

Bluebird Customs
17-01-09, 17:06
Would be very interested in these Richard, any idea on price and when it may become available? Dare I ask about TUV?

I think the wooden bit on the UK ones is a bit daft on a PR front as its visible! The wooden bit is only to keep the bearings spaced though, the actual swivel strength wouldn't be improved with say a nylon retainer.

I'll keep the Fasp faith for the time being, as Richard may be their saviour. :gl

Cheers

the wood bit is cheesy but the main point is one 12mm bolt holding it all together :eek:

Sports craft do one for the T5 and that has one bolt in the centre but it's about 2" dia

No info on the bases as yet still in design stage but there won't be TUV as they will be made in the UK by a large engineering company that I use but trust me they will be strong as :*

Sportscraft (German) have started doing one with a base and safe looks very good with TUV, and it doesn't raise the height.

not cheap though 195.00 inclusive

VWPhil
17-01-09, 20:25
I'd be interested in the seat base that doesn't raise the height. don't need the swivel base, I already have a Fasp, thanks to Richard, and not too bothered about a safe. Are these available, don't really want to pay 195 for a seat base:eek:

Bluebird Customs
18-01-09, 21:44
In all fairness the Sportcraft one does have the swivel built in.

The bases aren't available as yet so keep an eye on the web site

sokrates
31-01-09, 08:32
I don't like that thickness of the available swivel bases so I've decided to make my own once, which shouldn't build more then 7 mm and be crash safe too.

I can see that the swivel bases have got its center hole/bolt off-center. What is measurements to the center hole/bolt from the seat mounting bolts?

caddyboy
01-02-09, 14:11
Richard,any idea on a timescale for the seat bases? Will you be doing one without a safe too??