Auto Electrician Regulations [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Auto Electrician Regulations

peakfreak
15-01-09, 18:43
Hi All

I work for an Electrical Contractor (Domestic and Commercial) and if our engineers install any electrical circuit we are legally obliged to ensure it is safe and also protected with a circuit breaker.

Are Auto Electricians legally obliged to ensure a new installation is safe and protected?

I ask this as I have just had my leisure battery and split charge system fitted today by an Auto Electrician because I wanted to ensure it was done right. When I have got home and started to install my ICE I have noticed there are no fuses at the battery ends of the live feed. Now I am no AE but from searching around on this forum and t'interweb I am confident that fuses should fitted on a split charge circuit.
I would like to know if AEs' are obliged to protect a circuit, before I go back and fire a load of f:*s into the guy.

Cheers
Bren

BICKEY
15-01-09, 18:55
Hi,A/E are not covered by the same regs as mains electrical installers although any A/E worth his salt would have informed you as what is a safe installation & charged you for the extras reqd..:confused:(

peakfreak
15-01-09, 19:05
Hi,A/E are not covered by the same regs as mains electrical installers although any A/E worth his salt would have informed you as what is a safe installation & charged you for the extras reqd..:confused:(

Hi Bickey

I expected A/E aren't covered by 17th edition regs, but as you say you would expect any AE in business such as this guy would ensure the installation is safe.
I'm a bit miffed at him for not doing something as simple as fitting fuses, especially as he hasn't even fitted a gromet where he has passed the + & - cable through the bulkhead as in no time at all I am sure the cable will wear through at that point and we can all guess the consequences of that without a fuses.:(

Cheers
Bren

BICKEY
15-01-09, 19:21
Sounds like you know more than the place you took your van to(or at least have a better idea):D,best to do it yourself with the help & info from forum members & save yourself the money/worry..

DavieT4
16-01-09, 11:00
you seriously need to read the NEW regs guys

mcjjordan
16-01-09, 13:25
im an auto electrian and would say there are no legal requirements just common sense....

Soulstyledevon
16-01-09, 13:55
If your connecting your van to a pitch supply (ie camping park supply), then it will need to conform to the 17th edition. There is a section in there under special location section. If its an isolated supply, what i mean, powering your vans lights, no hook-up etc. Then no this isnt covered by latest regs.
Hope this makes sense.

peakfreak
16-01-09, 14:19
you seriously need to read the NEW regs guys

Davie
Are you talking forum regs here or Electrickery regs?

If it is forum regs and this thread would have been best in the Electrical section, then that is obviously my fault and I consider myself told off:D