1.9 5th gear upgrade f/s [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

1.9 5th gear upgrade f/s

steiner
22-01-09, 08:53
As it says folks, ive got the 5th and layshaft gears, 80 for em or 100 fitted if you can get to us and have a coffee for an hour or so:D

Andy 07921 907385 call/text or PM:ILU:

steiner
23-01-09, 12:15
Bump! Much cheaper than V.A.G. ones at 165 with VAT on top of that!!!
Mine...
100 fitted
80 supply only

cheers Andy

So-Kal
23-01-09, 12:57
Where are you based Andy? Wanting it doing if you're not too far away - PM me please..... :)

T4YLOR
23-01-09, 13:51
can you pm me as well

willonmitchell
23-01-09, 19:44
and me please! :)

rocketron
24-01-09, 01:19
where you to me old mukka. this would be lovely jubblyT:

karlos
24-01-09, 08:01
he from the midlands leicester or northampton i think.can you do this mod to a 2.4 diesel

steiner
24-01-09, 08:41
I certainly am, anyone who needs booking in just PM me an ill get on it!!

thanks all:D

jason
24-01-09, 09:27
ummmmmmmI:I:I:
what does it do??I:I:I:I:I:I:

steiner
24-01-09, 12:01
its a taller 5th gear, basically gives you lower cruising revs and higher top gear!!
especially useful if you have done PP mods to your van:D

DavieT4
24-01-09, 13:12
Sorry Andy but that doesnt really answer my questions. I know the theory behind the mod, but from past research there are certain 5ths that would be less suitable than others. I just want to make sure that before i agree to buying something that it is actually suitable and not just a bodge. This is a mod i am keen to have done as I do loads of mway driving. I dont mean any of this personally or want to seem ungrateful at your effort but you do seem a little guarded or lacking in finite info. This site has info in german and as you can see different parts have a different effect.

http://213.239.212.66/wiki/Getriebe_(Langer_5._Gang) go to link on side of page Kategorien then Getriebe then Getriebe (Langer 5. Gang)

and as far as I can see the best match that wont cause probs between 4th and 5th are

02A 311 361 AM
02A 311 158 AF

steiner
24-01-09, 21:51
Davie I understand what your saying, Ive always been a man of few words...
the ratio I use is .71:1 which is as fitted to 'most' Tdis of 90s vintage, this is a good compromise as standard 1.9 vans can still utilise this as well as PP'd ones.
Some folks use the gears out of old GTi boxes, they are O2A coded boxes but petrol ratios not diesel. im fed up of typing now lol

amplifieddesign
24-01-09, 21:56
shouldnt this be in the trader section????

steiner
24-01-09, 23:57
should it??

DavieT4
25-01-09, 08:20
Andys not a trader, as far as i am aware and it has been approved by senior mods. This is more a by members for member kinda thing so maybe in the wrong section.
Sorry about the link above but it should help as Ive edited it now.
Where are you Andy ? End of Feb ok ?

steiner
25-01-09, 08:41
end of feb is no prob, march is out tho as got lots on!

just bell me or PM when your readyT:

So-Kal
25-01-09, 08:43
I'm ready now I: ........................... when can you fit me in????? :)

steiner
25-01-09, 09:30
So-kal your in line for the next one, we have done 10 recently and im waiting for some more core units to break for parts, alternitavely I can source straight from V.A.G. if you need it done asap but price will shoot up a bit......

So-Kal
25-01-09, 09:38
No - it's OK - I'll wait for the secondhand parts T:

Just let me know in advance, as I'll need to either book leave or work out when I'm off :)

ANDYJAKEMAN1
25-01-09, 12:09
Hi all just had this work done by Andy and his mate (yesterday). The mod is well worth it as my 1.9td can now hit nearly 100mph (on a private road of course) before the mod I was stuggling to get 90mph so you will be gaining about 10mph. The flat out speed doesnt really bother me too much but its a much nicer drive at 70mph. All in all a mod worth doingT:T:T:

steiner
25-01-09, 12:10
will do mate yours is on way, as for everyone else it looks like i
might have to get a bulk forum buy from vw as core units very hard to get now..... prices will obviously be higher, probably 180 supply, and 220 ish to supply and fit
ill let everyone know what happens tho:)
and everyone whos had one done and thats a few now, you were the lucky ones!!!T:

willonmitchell
25-01-09, 13:29
Like the pp mods there surly has to be some sort of catch with the mod? I'e it causes extra wear on parts or something, otherwise why would the van come with this fitted in the first place?

You said you were strugling for parts. Could you tell me what gear cog is needed from which engine? could i then look for one in a scrapppy? or is it not that easy?

DavieT4
25-01-09, 13:36
Sorry Andy but you can count me out at those prices.

paul ss
25-01-09, 13:42
you can go pick up complete cars with engine included at tjhose prices if you no what to look for

team french
25-01-09, 14:13
just out of interest from those who have had it done whats the differance in revs at a peticualr speed, ie. my 1.9td shows about 63mph at 3000revs(about59mph on satnav tho:()

So-Kal
25-01-09, 17:36
will do mate yours is on way, as for everyone else it looks like i
might have to get a bulk forum buy from vw as core units very hard to get now..... prices will obviously be higher, probably 180 supply, and 220 ish to supply and fit
ill let everyone know what happens tho:)
and everyone whos had one done and thats a few now, you were the lucky ones!!!T:

Is this reply for me Andy?? A:

vwbluet4
26-01-09, 01:07
hi can you do this for a 2.5tdi or not ?

steiner
26-01-09, 08:11
Is this reply for me Andy?? A:
yes its for you mate, and it will be one of the last I do for a while unless its for friends, paul yes you can prob pick up an MOT failure Tdi for 250 say, but you still gotta pull gears outta that and as ive found 3 times now 5th on some has had broken teeth:eek:
This was only ever meant for forum members by a forum member, I had a few spare gear sets and sourced more, done 10 now if I get a good stock again then ill do more T:

steiner
27-01-09, 13:27
Ok everyone ive now done a deal with VW, I can get brand new gear sets cheaper on a bulk buy, only need 5 of you to want the parts, I can do the fitting no probs and you have a choice of ratios .68 which is quite tall and useful for torquey powerful motors and .70 for standard lumps.
price to the forum members is 165 per set inc VAT delivery another 5 on top thats pounds by the way not euros as some people like to use on here.....I:
We can fit but price will be dependant on if you come to us or we come to you.
This is a special for forum members by a forum member.
Once I get 5 definates ill get the order in then it's up to 10 day delivery wait.
So Kal give me a PM as to when you wanna come down as ive got yours here ready and waiting......T:

So-Kal
27-01-09, 13:52
Cheers Andy - I'll PM you later.............. :)

DavieT4
27-01-09, 15:40
1 = 1.07515 euro Rasp:

steiner
27-01-09, 16:50
:p ill only accept the queens sterling.......

DavieT4
27-01-09, 17:14
:p ill only accept the queens sterling.......

Scottish notes ? Seriously well done Andy only wish i could get the cash together

steiner
28-01-09, 07:50
Its only because I 'know someone' at VW not bad deal, saving around 20 pounds a set.

aggie
28-01-09, 20:27
So where's my commision for bringing this modification to the T4 forum and someone else cashing in on it?

paul ss
28-01-09, 20:37
whats the commishion charge then 30%I:

in all fairnes you could have custom mae gear ratio for a lot less than vw .

i could probaly get price bellow 100quid a set if i order 10 but the simple facts are theres no point in it because i cant be d to fit them LOL: well dont mind odd 1 or 2 but no wy doing all 10 and not making a penny and if something went wrong with shopping or delays its just not worth the hassle .

also considering the dollar to makes sence to wait LOL: to purchase stuff from abroad .

and i dont run a garage so whats the point when anyone who has 2 hands can do without great difficulty providing they take there time .

steiner
29-01-09, 11:34
So where's my commision for bringing this modification to the T4 forum and someone else cashing in on it?

Hows that then? you might have put some photos up but this aint new, in fact when I was working in germany few years ago they were swapping gears then, one lad had put syncro 5th into his golf IV, sorry but no disrespect here as I know you do know your stuff but ive known about this for ages but only recently got hold of spare gear sets. they are all used up now. As for cashing in???? the price for the gears is exactly what VW charged me with discount, I am only trying to help forum members to get the parts cheap i.e. bulk buy. How does that constitute cashing in when I take nothing???

DavieT4
29-01-09, 15:49
Come on guys it seems like we are all trying to go in the same direction but with differing ideas. Lets leave it at that and move one.

steiner
29-01-09, 17:58
Im all for that, ive lot of respect for the guys on here. Just dont like throwaway comments.I wont say any more on the matter.:ILU:

BANANAVAN
02-02-09, 22:05
have the 10 you have done all been fourm members?

come on chaps lets have the comment on what you feel the differnace is .

It sound like a great upgrade .. if it was only so easy on the 102hp 2.5tdi

pot4
02-02-09, 22:29
have the 10 you have done all been fourm members?

come on chaps lets have the comment on what you feel the differnace is .

It sound like a great upgrade .. if it was only so easy on the 102hp 2.5tdi

In all honesty it made no difference at all to my standard ratio....still a bit unsure why though??

:confused:

steiner
03-02-09, 06:48
In all honesty it made no difference at all to my standard ratio....still a bit unsure why though??

:confused:

drew unfortunately the wrong gears went into yours thats why we swapped em again!! sorry again for the mix up yours has a .73 5th and it was a .73 5th we put in.....:(
ill let you know when ive got some proper tall ones in.

T4YLOR
03-02-09, 13:09
had mine done on saturday can say its definatly made a difference in lowering the rpm. not as much as maybe expected but im still very happy with it. T:

although cannot comment on what sort of difference ie fuel and top end speed at the mo due to the fooking weather :(

i managed to do 400 miles after having it done but unfortunataly most of it was at 30-50 mph due to the snow

cheers steiner looking forward to the 6th gear :ILU:

steiner
03-02-09, 15:30
had mine done on saturday can say its definatly made a difference in lowering the rpm. not as much as maybe expected but im still very happy with it. T:

although cannot comment on what sort of difference ie fuel and top end speed at the mo due to the fooking weather :(

i managed to do 400 miles after having it done but unfortunataly most of it was at 30-50 mph due to the snow

cheers steiner looking forward to the 6th gear :ILU:

thanks for that fella, as you know this is not a business for me but it really got me thinking about gearing hence the 6 speed conversion.
I try and taylor ratios to what power peoples power is, for instance I would not put a .68 ratio on a 1.9d, you got a .71 gear set which is spot on for a standard TD, any higher and you have to work the engine more to keep at cruising speed. I ran a .70 in a PP'd 1.9 TD and that was about right, the .68 would have done but I like it to pull in 5th too.....;)