car/van licence question [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

car/van licence question

corriethepenguin
24-01-09, 23:36
I have an 'old mans' style licence with god knows how many options on what I'm able to drive but friend of mine who I'm going away with and want to share the driving only passed her test just under 3 years ago and can only drive a car (cat B1??) or milk float!

I've just bought a VW T4 transporter 2.5TDI SWB and don't know if her licence will cover her for it.
The V5 document states it is taxable as a diesel car but the body type is lised as a van/side windows
other info:
mass in service - 1794
vehicle cat - M1

Any help please??

paul ss
24-01-09, 23:54
well you wont be carrying more than 7 passangers will ya ?

and your van aint over 3.5ton

what you have is classed as grandads rights ha ha

Stressed
25-01-09, 06:17
You can drive upto 7.5 tonnes your friend can only drive upto 3.5 tonnes. Your van is less than 3.5 tonnes and she can drive it.
If you want to tow a trailer you can your friend can't,
Paul

corriethepenguin
25-01-09, 09:09
You can drive upto 7.5 tonnes your friend can only drive upto 3.5 tonnes. Your van is less than 3.5 tonnes and she can drive it.
If you want to tow a trailer you can your friend can't,
Paul

Cheers,
That's what I thought and I've tried to check the DVLA site but it's not that clear but just to be on the safe side I might just pop in to the local DVLA office and check.

paul ss
25-01-09, 11:26
your freind can tow a trailer just providing the whole lot does not break 3.5ton i went through all this with dvla because unless you passed your licence before 1996/1997 you cant have more than 3.5ton.

i didnt pass mine before that time and pull a car trailer with track car on it offten and was going against the law for over 2years , even with police stopped me they was not concerned so you have to pass a trailer licence or just go in for higher class licence.

its such a grey area i found when towing , i used to tow with a 7 seies bmw and big trailer and car so was over 3.5ton easy , police dont sam to be fussed LOL:

you will have grandad rights allowing you upto 7.5ton with restriction .

Stressed
25-01-09, 19:00
your freind can tow a trailer just providing the whole lot does not break 3.5ton i went through all this with dvla because unless you passed your licence before 1996/1997 you cant have more than 3.5ton.

i didnt pass mine before that time and pull a car trailer with track car on it offten and was going against the law for over 2years , even with police stopped me they was not concerned so you have to pass a trailer licence or just go in for higher class licence.

its such a grey area i found when towing , i used to tow with a 7 seies bmw and big trailer and car so was over 3.5ton easy , police dont sam to be fussed LOL:

you will have grandad rights allowing you upto 7.5ton with restriction .

The "normal" Police might not be fussed in general but some traffic officers might get funny.
If you have an accident your insurance could be invalid. NO LICENCE TO TOW COULD MEAN NO INSURANCE.
The police could prosecute you for both offences.
I worked part time as a bike instuctor fo 12 years. When the licence laws changed in 97 it opened a big can of worms that jo public and your normal bobby on the beat don't have a hope in hell of understanding