Heat Gun = Black Bumpers?? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Heat Gun = Black Bumpers??

Pickle
29-01-09, 11:32
Hi, is anyone able to confirm that the Hot Air Gun on the original Black Plastic bumpers trick actually works??

I have just aquired a replacement rear bumper, and it has a long scratch in it which kinda spoils it. Was hoping that abit of gentle heat, might help to hide the scratch better??

I keep them nice and black with the silicone spray anyhow, but have heard about the heat gun trick on here. ??

Cheers :)

So-Kal
29-01-09, 11:39
It works - very well indeed!

Just be carefula round the front grill and you'll be amazed!

Better than any of that silicon............ :)

reimoboy
29-01-09, 11:40
Hi Pickle,

if you use the search button there are loads of threads on here about using a heat gun on bumpers T:

Turlough
29-01-09, 11:41
As Keith says yip works 100% just be carefull how long you hold heat on for

Practice on the old bumper maybe

and throw the silcon spray in the bin T:

JIMMYJAMES
29-01-09, 11:47
Heres one i made earlier!

https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5061

Pickle
29-01-09, 12:03
Cheers Guys, not just an urban myth then ;):cool:

Will give it a going over before I fit it the weekend then. Will treat the front to match if all goes well.

T:

team french
29-01-09, 13:32
heres the differance it made on mine. not as long lasting as i would have liked but its better than the sprays and polishes, could use these to help keep it black once done with the heat gun tho

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn132/derk5000/DSC01254.jpg

AmabokoT4
29-01-09, 13:58
As a novice at T4-ing, i needed to remove a bumber sticker, well I gashed and gaffed the bumber, with a borrowed heat gun, wammmmO - it did the trick not a problemo!

chadcruzer
29-01-09, 16:55
I did mine it was mint for 15 minutes, then returned to its usual nasty looking state, too many years of siliconing etc, so I cleaned it with paint stripper then painted it black with spray can, now its mint!

JIMMYJAMES
29-01-09, 18:13
I did mine it was mint for 15 minutes, then returned to its usual nasty looking state, too many years of siliconing etc, so I cleaned it with paint stripper then painted it black with spray can, now its mint!

As i said in the linked thread, you need to clean the bumper thoroughly first with a scourer and washing up liquid to remove all the old back to black stuff, dry then apply the heat. It pays to keep the bumpers coated in some sort of back to black to slow the sun damage down after heating. 1 year on and mine are still looking good!

Beware the paint stripper! I used it on my bike plastics and it melted them so i would avoid using it.

Vented
24-04-09, 07:18
So you just point the heat gun at the bumper and warm it and it goes black in front of your eyes, is it that simple?

I am over willing to try this to get a great finish but just want to get the process right and not miss out on any step like get a special cloth and buff it while heating type thing!

How does it deal with marks such as a car scrape (was there when I bought the van).:gl

Fatboy35
24-04-09, 07:33
I: Yep, the car scrape will go black too,

IGMC:D