clutch pedal sounds creaky!! [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

clutch pedal sounds creaky!!

Jurasik
29-01-09, 23:20
Hi all.
My clutch pedal seems to creak/squeak when I press & release it.
I am aware of the problem of pedal boxes that break & that Wind Welder does an exchange service T::D
It just sounds like a dry spring to me. I had a cavalier (don't laugh) a long time ago & the clutch pedal did the same thing. It was a dry spring on that.
I did look at my pedal box about two months ago, but I could not see any cracks.
Is there a spring I can lubricate, or is it the pedal box itself?

tidytransporters
29-01-09, 23:38
Have a bit more of a fiddle down there! Stick your finger up between the clutch and brake and move it to the left then behind the bracket, if its sharp (try not to cut your finger) its bust. After knowing about the pedal box prob and customers bringing there vans in to us for various jobs i check the odd one and most are bust! This can cause creaks and stuff, try lubing the spring but i dont think its coming from that

JONESY
30-01-09, 09:26
Mine creaks it has snapped off, and is twisting so for now i have spot welded it
to keep me going, hate to think of the cost or work involved to change it.

JONESY

Jurasik
30-01-09, 17:00
Had a good look at the pedal bracket. It looks in good condition. No visible cracks.
Got my mate to press the pedal with his foot whilst I looked at the box. It moves a tiny (I mean about 1/2mm) bit. The creaking really sounds like a spring creaking. I am going to give the spring a good lube with lithium grease (if I can find it!!) & see if it cures it.

wind welder
30-01-09, 18:15
Mine creaks it has snapped off, and is twisting so for now i have spot welded it
to keep me going, hate to think of the cost or work involved to change it.

JONESY

Hi Jonesy,

The part of the pedalbox that needs welding is behind the pedalbox and impossible to get to without removing the pedal box from the van. (if you want to do it properly)

The cost of an exchange bracket is 40.00 +p&p

you can change a pedal box in a couple of hours it's not too difficult, fiddly yes, but difficult no.

I can talk you through it, or even come and do it for you.

Cheers Trev.

Jurasik
30-01-09, 18:51
Good to know the price when mine does eventually go!

wind welder
30-01-09, 19:01
Good to know the price when mine does eventually go!

Honestly don't wait that long, (I'm not touting for work here)

If you take a close look at the parts of the bracket you can see, you will have the master cylinder connected to the clutch pedal. the cylinder is held to the bracket by two bolts (you can see the heads from the footwell) if you imagine the bolts are through two ears coming off the cylinder.
You can just about slip your fingertip into the gap between the two ears, if you can feel any step or sharp edge by doing this then your bracket has broken, it will only deteriorate further if it is left, worst case the master cylinder will detatch itself from the bracket, wreck the master cylinder, and deposit the clutch fluid into your footwell. stranding you at the side of the road!

And make any repair much more difficult.

Cheers Trev.

conwaydance
30-01-09, 20:53
Hi all.
My clutch pedal seems to creak/squeak when I press & release it.
I am aware of the problem of pedal boxes that break & that Wind Welder does an exchange service T::D
It just sounds like a dry spring to me. I had a cavalier (don't laugh) a long time ago & the clutch pedal did the same thing. It was a dry spring on that.
I did look at my pedal box about two months ago, but I could not see any cracks.
Is there a spring I can lubricate, or is it the pedal box itself?

are you sure its not your knee I:I:

Jurasik
30-01-09, 21:28
Honestly don't wait that long, (I'm not touting for work here)

If you take a close look at the parts of the bracket you can see, you will have the master cylinder connected to the clutch pedal. the cylinder is held to the bracket by two bolts (you can see the heads from the footwell) if you imagine the bolts are through two ears coming off the cylinder.
You can just about slip your fingertip into the gap between the two ears, if you can feel any step or sharp edge by doing this then your bracket has broken, it will only deteriorate further if it is left, worst case the master cylinder will detatch itself from the bracket, wreck the master cylinder, and deposit the clutch fluid into your footwell. stranding you at the side of the road!

And make any repair much more difficult.

Cheers Trev.

From memory the master cylinder is bolted to a thick steel angle (about 4mm) which is welded onto the thin bracket. I will try to get a photo tomorrow & post it. From your description, the bracket sounds like it is supposed to be thin. :confused:

Jurasik
31-01-09, 13:39
Well, went out today armed with the lithium grease & my camera.
I greased up the springs & joints & the spring noise went away.
I then took some photos.
This was the best one:
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh154/Stinker/DSC_0015.jpg
I think my bracket is broken. :(

Mr Wind Welder sir, I may be in need of one of your brackets.

TiggerTT
31-01-09, 13:47
Looks like a crack there to me. Mine went there aswell. Fixed by Trev (Top bloke)

Also check around where the bracket is welded to the thinner plate, cracks appear here as well.

After seeing the repair to the box that Trevor did, I'm so glad i didn't just get a replacement knowing that it could go again. Repair was very substantial and I cant see it ever going again. Well recommended. A:

Jurasik
31-01-09, 13:55
I've just emailed trev to see if he can help.
Don't want to drive it at the mo, if it breaks, then I'm screwed!:(

pure t4
31-01-09, 14:37
mine also snapped of on the piece that comes of the bulk head where the angle is fixed to. hope you get it sorted better you found it now it was the fluid in the foot well that told me. had to strip out all the front seats and mat to clean it all up from under the mat should see what its done to the mat wont lie flat now.

mcjjordan
31-01-09, 15:45
i know of a fix

if you look at piston when using clutch -the bracket flexes and the piston goes out of alignment

this is what the noise is
solution is to put something behind piston to stop it twisting
i used a small piece of wood and hammered it into position
this will stop piston wear and reduce the possibility of bracket failure

i know its not the best method but it is the simplest

and can be done diy

wind welder
31-01-09, 17:40
I've just emailed trev to see if he can help.
Don't want to drive it at the mo, if it breaks, then I'm screwed!:(

Hi Stuart,

Just sent you an email.

here's a link to my thread regarding exchanging pedal boxes.

https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29494

Cheers Trev.

jets
31-01-09, 21:45
Here's what I did. http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=17336

Jurasik
31-01-09, 22:02
Just an update.
The lithium grease worked. No more squeaking.
The bracket is broken.:(
Agreed with trev that he's going to exchange the bracket next weekend (CHEERS TREV :cheers )
At least I can breathe a bit easier knowing it's going to be done.

tidytransporters
31-01-09, 22:15
Its worth doing for piece of mind, and worth doing properly and not with wood or cheese or anything like thatH:

Trev is the best bloke to do it also, you will know its done right then:ILU:

wind welder
31-01-09, 22:22
Here's what I did. http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=17336

Hi Jets,

That mod fixes the problem for sure but unfortunately introduces another potentially much more serious one!

The gap you have bridged is there for a reason! the reason being that the braking system has a safety feature built into it. It has a dual braking system! in the event of a part of the brake system failing IE a caliper on one of the wheels leaking/split hose etc., the wheel opposite on the same axle and the one diagonally opposite are on a seperate circuit.

This circuit when it is needed is much further down the pedal travel. just where you have put the bridge.

If you ever needed this safety feature (and I hope you never do!) I think your repair has disabled it.

Sorry to "PI55" on your chips so to speak!;)

Cheers Trev.

Jurasik
07-02-09, 16:23
Just got back from Trevor's place.
He changed my broken one for his re-enforced jobby. That bracket is solid now!!

Cheer's Trev. T:T:
Top bloke.

wind welder
07-02-09, 23:19
Just got back from Trevor's place.
He changed my broken one for his re-enforced jobby. That bracket is solid now!!

Cheer's Trev. T:T:
Top bloke.

Thanks for the beers Stu, just got rid of one about an hour ago.
glad you are happy!

Cheers Trev