well that was a good idea [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

well that was a good idea

jonbott
30-01-09, 23:10
:(bought our first t4 today broke down on way home due to dodgy alternator,temp fix by rac didn`t work,come home on a towtruck,
not a great start:(I want my bay back,neighbours must be impressed
couldn`t shut the bloody alarm up:*

crftom
30-01-09, 23:57
damn did you view the van before purchase?

tom

jonbott
31-01-09, 07:15
yea took it out for a test drive,it did do about 90 miles before the alt went,its a snapped bolt apparently:(

JIMMYJAMES
31-01-09, 07:26
Could be worse but still a bugger, ope you get it sorted soon!

jonbott
31-01-09, 07:28
yea just one of them things:(

t4toad
31-01-09, 07:43
A mate got his 1.9td last week the starter went on his way to see me not a good start to his t4 life as well go for a full service and belts .Its the first thing i did the week i got my van .T: hope you fix it soon mate.

David
31-01-09, 09:46
:(:(I want my bay back,:*

At least when you start to fix the broken bolt on the alternator you won't end up replacing the bottom six inches of steel, a couple of outriggers, inner sills etc. Bays and Splits are very nice but I don't miss the unpredicability of a small job turning into a 2 year resto once you start to spot all the cover ups, bodges and rot that lurk bellow. At least when the T4 breaks it a case of out with the spanners, instead of the angle grinder and weldor.

i'm sure once you get it sorted and get out there enjoying it you'll miss your bay less and less (saying that it was about 3 years before I finally got over mine, and probably only about another 3-4 years before I forget about all the pain and start wanting one again)

Good luck

jonbott
31-01-09, 10:02
one good thing was the bloke we bought the van has spent loads on MOT etc etc and said send him the bill and he`ll sort it,had a new altenator just badly fitted and cracked the bolt that the main wire comes from,stuck the van on charge overnight and started first time
ok
ok its growing on me:D
only thing is on a bay when the battery goes you can stil open the windows and lock it:D

Scooterdoc
31-01-09, 10:25
Welcome to the world of the T4, not a good start but I'm sure it;ll get a whole lot better :)

pic1london
31-01-09, 10:52
[QUOTE=David;248879]At least when you start to fix the broken bolt on the alternator you won't end up replacing the bottom six inches of steel, a couple of outriggers, inner sills etc. Bays and Splits are very nice but I don't miss the unpredicability of a small job turning into a 2 year resto once you start to spot all the cover ups, bodges and rot that lurk bellow.

ahh those memories came flooding back.....

T4 all the way for me now:ILU:

Good luck mate:gl