Mounting Fiamma Carry Bike rack [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Mounting Fiamma Carry Bike rack

cheeky_dieter
01-02-09, 10:13
Hi all
Just acquired one of these FIamma racks for my T4 Bilbo coversion. (tailgate versio)
I was just in the process of putting it together and offering it up to the van for the first time and I notice that there is a strip of black plastic on the bottom lip of the tailgate that you have to trim back to fit the bottom on the rack onto the door. This looks to be secured by 4 rivets. How do I remove this to trim it back and replace it? Anybody done this?
Thanks

Newbie :)

jeffscarborough
01-02-09, 10:18
Hi all
Just acquired one of these FIamma racks for my T4 Bilbo coversion. (tailgate versio)
I was just in the process of putting it together and offering it up to the van for the first time and I notice that there is a strip of black plastic on the bottom lip of the tailgate that you have to trim back to fit the bottom on the rack onto the door. This looks to be secured by 4 rivets. How do I remove this to trim it back and replace it? Anybody done this?
Thanks

Newbie :)

Yes I have.
I put some masking tape on the black strip and marked where it wanted removing.
Than drill out the original rivets remove strip and cut it down then replace with new rivits, they are 5mm.

ahay!
01-02-09, 11:52
I seem to remember sliding something (a metal rule?) behind the plastic trim and trimming it with a Stanley knife :eek:

ahay! :ILU: (aka billy the bodge) I:

bigcat
01-02-09, 18:59
I seem to remember sliding something (a metal rule?) behind the plastic trim and trimming it with a Stanley knife :eek:

ahay! :ILU: (aka billy the bodge) I:

I seem to remember placing something metal behind mine too,and t***ting it (a cold chisel). I really regret that now as I get just a small whiff of exhaust now and again and reckon it went some way to sealing it out I:

So if anyone has one of those strips for a barn door (right hand) please let me know.

Be wary of the length of bolt supplied for the lower fittings, had to trim mine as One of them put a small groove in my bumper, close the tailgate carefully first time T:

reimoboy
01-02-09, 21:27
Yes I have.
I put some masking tape on the black strip and marked where it wanted removing.
Than drill out the original rivets remove strip and cut it down then replace with new rivits, they are 5mm.

What Jeff says ^ T: